Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0285  (Read 839 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0285
« on: August 25, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
Robservations - #285

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0285

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »
Carolyn chides Vicki for becoming obsessed with the past. Vicki--wearing a dark velvet robe--is up in her room, preferring to listen to the music box over and over instead of getting ready for a date with Burke. And who can blame her?

Burke gives Barnabas a dressing-down about the costume party. He says, On account of the party, not only did Vicki think she saw that little girl at the Old House, she also thought she saw Maggie Evans at the cemetery. Impossible! says the ambushed Barnabas. Maggie Evans is dead, so there was nothing _to_ see. She couldn’t have seen Maggie Evans-- [slowly] any more than she could have seen that little girl on the stairs.

Vicki enthuses to Barnabas about the possibility of his helping "Miss" Hoffman write her history of some of the old New England families. But Barnabas is able to curb his enthusiasm. Now Vicki spots the book that Barnabas came to give her. It’s really of very little interest, he says deprecatingly. I was going to give it to you, but the others talked me out of it. His method works perfectly, as now nothing will do for Vicki but that she must have the book. Opening it up, she sees that he has inscribed it to her. Why weren’t you going to give it to me? she asks. Without a shred of remorse, Burke admits, I didn’t want Barnabas to give it to you. Vicki glares at Burke, and Barnabas says primly, I’m sorry if I created a somewhat clumsy situation. It isn’t _your_ fault, Vicki says pointedly. After Barnabas leaves, Burke tells Vicki, What you need is a good time--good and loud--and I’m gonna give it to you. Ewwwww!!

Vicki and Burke end up quarreling as yet another storm starts up. He leaves in a huff. Vicki looks a little sorry, but immediately dips into the book. But the next moment, she's hurried down to the Old House to apologize for everyone's behavior. But the storm has become too violent for her to go home, and Barnabas invites her to wait till it dies down. In his most spellbinding voice, he tells her, This room is never lovelier than when it is lit by lightning, and the thunder echoing down the corridors. Vicki concludes apologetically that she must spend the night at the Old House. Barnabas is only too eager to play host and tells her that Josette's room is ready for her at all times. Yes, of course, Vicki says--Josette’s room. Barnabas smiles with unholy anticipation; as he draws close behind her, his eyes stray toward her neck....

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 09:34:44 PM »
Burke tells Vicki, What you need is a good time--good and loud--and I’m gonna give it to you. Ewwwww!!
Ditto!  Most vehemently ditto!  Are we supposed to have any sympathy at all for Burke?  He ought to be the good guy in this setup, the way Joe was the good guy when Barnabas was going after Maggie, but Burke has lost any charm he ever had.  I hope that after storming out of Collinwood, he went to the Blue Whale and picked up a girl and will never bother Vicky again, but that would be too good to be true.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:08:41 AM »
Vickie is lost in Josettes music box looking out the window which must look out towards the sea. Burke manages to look like An idiot. it's a book for Pete's sake. Vickie says he thinks she will be swallowed up by the past.  it seems to point that Vickie will be taken over by Josette which could be interesting depending on how she feels about Barnabas.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 07:28:51 PM »
Rewatching this episode, even though I may agree with Burke that Vicki is getting a bit too far with getting caught up in the past, he comes off as overbearing and rude in here. He gets on Barnabas' case because he thinks the party, or rather wearing the costumes, had a bad effect on everyone, particularly Vicki. Burke seems to have forgotten that having the seance was Roger's idea. Barnabas himself had been dead set against it.

Then it appears he asked, or more likely insisted Barnabas not give Vicki the book. I am surprised that Barnabas went along with it, but then again he may have counted on Vicki spotting him with the book, and counted on a quarrel between her and Burke.

After Burke comes clean, he's actually shocked that Vicki doesn't want to go out with him? He insists they he's going to give her a good time, talking to her like she was his slave or something. No wonder Vicki didn't want to go out with him. Doesn't stop her from going down to the Old House however. If Burke had followed her, I daresay he would caused a scene or at least started getting on her back or Barnabas' again.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 03:38:10 PM »
Burke has lost any charm he ever had.

You can say that again. I can't help but wonder how Mitch Ryan would have been in these episodes. AG's Burke seems to want to completely dominate Vicki and I gotta tell you, it's quite sickening.

What a frumpy outfit Vicki wears to visit Barnabas. Blah!

I think Nancy Barrett says seance better'n anybody, don't you?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 12:15:43 PM »
I think Nancy Barrett says seance better'n anybody, don't you?
No, no, Joan Bennett says it best!