Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0284  (Read 679 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0284
« on: August 24, 2012, 03:05:36 PM »
Robservations - #284

(Graysonholics will definitely want to check out the captures for this show - it's all Grayson/Julia all the time. Well, with the exception of one capture of Dave Woodard. How did he get in there by himself?! LOL!)

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0284

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 08:32:12 PM »
Dave Woodard shrewdly guesses that Julia thinks a Collins may be the perpetrator of the harm to Maggie. Dave recalls the conversation they had about the circumstances. Maggie’s case is far from ordinary, he observes. I remember some of the words we used to describe it--like unearthly. How far is it unearthly? Julia answers dryly, It isn’t unearthly because that would mean it couldn’t happen on this planet [LOL!]. Dave argues, There are limits to what a rational man can accept. With clinical detachment, Julia replies, In this case, those limits have to be extended considerably.

Julia makes her first visit to Collinwood! She is incognito, and Vicki addresses her as MISS Hoffman. David mentions Sarah, but Julia can't very well pump him for info in front of Vicki. Vicki says about Barnabas, He’s the gentlest, kindest man I know, but he values his privacy. He seems to share my interest in the past, Julia observes. I’m sure you two will get along very well, Vicki enthuses. I hope so, comments Julia dryly.

And Julia makes her first visit to the Old House! Vicki takes Julia straight to Josette's room, where Josette's gown is still lying across the bed. While they're talking, Julia feels a sudden chill, but Vicki senses nothing, even though she looks out the window and reports that the sun is going down. Julia smiles at Vicki's enthusiasm for Josette's room, then notes that the sun has set. Vicki lights a candle so that Julia can see the room as Josette must have seen it.

The two women look around the softly lit room for a moment--until the candle suddenly goes out, and Julia feels another chill. We’d better go, she suggests. There’s nothing to be afraid of, Vicki assures her. It’s not that, Julia answers. If you knew me at all you’d know I’m afraid of nothing. [That's our Julia!] You will come here when Mr. Collins is here? Vicki asks. Oh yes, Julia answers. I can’t tell you how much I look forward to it.

Presumably Sarah has been trying to warn Julia to leave. But my real question is, At this point, how much does Julia know? How much has she already guessed? I think she must already have some idea of what the proprietor of the Old House actually is.   

Julia's questions and the visit to the cemetery have made poor Maggie revert to childhood again. And Julia certainly doesn't help matters by mentioning Barnabas.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:26:50 PM »
I'm amazed that Dave always backed down and continue to let Julia do things HER way.....for all the preaching he does about how unorthodox her methods are, he believes she knows what she's doing even if he doesn't always agree with her methods.
Reading this, I thought about what a good job Robert Gerringer is doing as Dave Woodard.  He backs down and backs down and backs down, but I still don't feel he's a wuss.  And as a reward, Julia does tell him a little more than I expected her to do.

At this point, how much does Julia know? How much has she already guessed?
Quite a lot, I think, given Maggie's bloodwork.

There’s nothing to be afraid of, Vicki assures her. It’s not that, Julia answers. If you knew me at all you’d know I’m afraid of nothing. [That's our Julia!]
That's our inexperienced Julia.  She hasn't yet seen all the wonders that Collinwood has to show her.

When Julia and Vicky were first talking in the Collinwood foyer and walking into the drawing room, I had a sudden feeling of the whole house and the estate surrounding them - a new feeling for me, something to do with having seen the 2012 movie, I think.  And then when Vicky was talking about the possibility of David having imaginary friends, I thought of Helena Bonham Carter's Julia, and reminded myself: "Different Dark Shadows."

I always love that scene at the end with Julia and Maggie.  I've nothing new to say about it, just: I love it.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:01:10 AM »
Julia wants to meet the Collin family as a genealogist. Now between Elizabeth and Barnabas, I'm not sure why the need one. Julia learns that David Knows Sarah.  Julia reveals she is afraid of nothing.  Now if she is focusing on the family, how hard is it to figure out who is behind the kidnapping and other crimes?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 03:30:10 PM »
I thought about what a good job Robert Gerringer is doing as Dave Woodard. 

He does indeed, except that he neglects to stir Julia's coffee after dumping a hefty teaspoon of sugar into it.

Vicki says the Old House has been completely restored. Did I hear that correctly?

Julia: "If you knew me at all, you'd realize that I'm afraid of nothing." That's quite obvious, with that hair-do.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.