Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1041  (Read 1066 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1041
« on: July 20, 2010, 11:59:03 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1041
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:22:48 AM »
Bruno wasn't much of a person, but I'm sorry to see him gone.  I really enjoyed Michael Stroka's portrayal of him.  And purely to spite me, I'm sure, they made it clear that it was just a dummy on the floor today, not the real Bruno, so I couldn't kid myself that I was seeing Michael Stroka doing a fine portrayal of a dead man.

Quentin talked about calling his "lawyers" - plural.  There was a mention of Chris the other day, so we know he's back from his business out of town, even though we'll never see him again.  Larry Chase is dead, as cold as if he had been dead for a millennium or two.  Who else is there in the firm?

The door to Maggie's and Quentin's bedroom squeaked when Angelique opened it.  I can't remember whether it squeaked before.  Hoffman surely would have dispatched an underling to oil the hinges the second the door even began to think about squeaking, but Julia is letting the house fall apart.

Maggie and Angelique should consult each other about what they're planning to wear.  Under no circumstances should that red and blue dress of Angelique's and that yellow robe of Maggie's ever be seen together.  Which reminds me, has anybody noticed that "Alexis" is not dressing the way she used to?  I doubt that Alexis brought with her the clothes that Angelique is wearing.  I hope Angelique is not wearing her own clothes.  That would be sure to be noticed, and I think it would be considered bad taste for Alexis to be wearing her late sister's clothes, not to mention the fact that Quentin would go through the roof every time he looked at "Alexis".  Now I'm trying to remember if Angelique wore any of these dresses before she went with Quentin on the famous trip to Bangor.  All that aside, I do like the way Angelique looks these days.

It looks as though Maggie and Quentin share a bureau.  Ye gods, Quentin's rich enough to support several poor relations, and he's got a house as big as all outdoors, but can't have his own bureau.  No wonder he's bad-tempered.  And what was he thinking, calling that little statuette (Bach?  Beethoven?) a voodoo doll?

Oh, golly, it didn't take Angelique long to persuade Quentin to escape.

Nice performance by David Selby today.  He's always good, of course, but there were a couple of details in his intonation - in particular, something he said to Maggie just before leaving the house - that I liked.

I was thinking all the way through this episode: imagine living in a world in which people can be murdered in the way that Angelique murdered Bruno, so that evidence that we think of as vital - such as who was with somebody when he died of strangulation - is irrelevant.  From how far away does Angelique's voodoo work?  And is it necessary to work harder when her victim is further away?  And does she ever get connection blips and call her VSP (Voodoo Service Provider) and file a complaint and threaten to switch to another provider?  Anyway, my point is: this can't be the first time in the Dark Shadows Parallel Time Universe that somebody has been murdered by voodoo.  It's got to be a known phenomenon.  So, fervently though I adore Inspector Hamilton, I think he's being a bit careless here.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 05:05:41 AM »
I always respect your opinion Lydia, but as Stroka characters go, I'm an Aristede man.   Take Aristede's period color (look, personality) away, and you have a loud skinny guy, Bruno.   We probably need a guy like that, though, but he's so good at being irritating that I'm, well, irritated by him.   I did an Aristede drawing when I was a kid by the way.  I found it recently, and it's not nearly as good as I thought it was...

That figurine is Bruno?  Because he's a composer?   Oh no-- Q is jailed with the orange plaid jacket!   Regarding his escape, it must be pretty hard for a lanky guy in an orange plaid jacket to hide.   The inspector went down easy, didn't he...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 08:33:35 AM »
Magnus, I always want to like Aristede – I mean, in the way one likes seeing a bad guy on-screen – but there's always something lacking.  Those Rube Goldberg-style murders, or attempted murders, seem slightly out of kilter for Aristede.  I'd believe it if I saw him stick a knife in somebody – literally – and twist it, but the delayed gratification style of murder doesn't fit him.  Granted, there's the immediate gratification of seeing the victim squirm and plead – but somehow Michael Stroka didn't make it work for me.

Our-time Bruno was simply annoying.  He was too one-dimensional – a lover of violence and nothing more, from start to finish.

Something about Bruno Hess, however, was different – or, at least, it was different for me on this round of watching.  It's not in the writing of the character – i.e. - it's not in simply knowing that he composed and played the piano and therefore is more than just a lover of violence – but something that I saw in the portrayal of the character.  The talking to Cyrus, the terror when Damien was haunting Collinwood – it all seemed more real than anything I saw in Aristede or in our-time Bruno.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:08:06 AM »
Aristede rocks. Bruno stinks.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 08:42:46 AM »
They're all weasels to me, and not always credible threats, but Aristede's a more colorful weasel.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 02:37:02 PM »
Your post was really really good Lydia and I always enjoy them!  A lot of nice thoughts on your part!   I personally like Aristede a lot better than Bruno as well.  Aristede was a sexy bad boy who I would rather not tangle with. I am sorry to say I don't have a lot to say about besides adoration for David Selby!   [ghost_rolleyes]

6/22/70

Written By: Gordon Russell
Directed By: Henry Kaplan

LOL—The dummy moves—Heh! 

Although I am not a total Barnabas nut; I find it charming that no matter what time Barnabas is in he feels a kinship to his family and wants to save them from any evil that may threaten their lives!  Perhaps he feels this is his way of trying to rectify his wrongs!

Unlike another male actor on the show when Quetin/David touches his hair it's sexy and not annoying in any way for me.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 05:26:28 AM »
Thanks, Taeylor!