Author Topic: Confused by Men...  (Read 4057 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Confused by Men...
« on: June 07, 2003, 10:50:25 PM »
I'm confused (it's Saturday...it was FINALLY nice yesterday, so I played a little too hard).

The Jennings:

Tom (a vampire, via Barn)
Chris (his twin brother, with 'the curse')

What guy is the original man who was COUSINS...Carolyn's boyfriend...but I can't think of his name...stats?

Anybody?

Thanks

Patti

(and I know it isn't Buzz!!)
What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Confused by Men...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 10:52:45 PM »
Oh...Joel Crothers...but what was his 1967 name (all I can read is Forbes).

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 11:32:01 PM »
Hi Patti,

Joel Crothers played Joe Haskell, who was Carolyn's boyfriend when the series began in 1966.

When Tom and Chris were introduced, Joe was said to be related to their family as a cousin (presumably on his Mom's side?).

Well, you know how complicated these New England genealogies can get ...

As for Babs Steele's comment about Grayson, I can't recall exactly in which interview she said that; it might have been this glossy magazine that did a feature on the 1990 DS series--Fangoria, maybe?

Steve

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2003, 11:36:34 PM »
Wasn't sure what I'd find in this topic, hee hee.

what was his 1967 name (all I can read is Forbes).

Joe Haskell.

Speaking of Joel Crothers, did anyone read LP's comment regarding him during the MPI webchat?  When asked about working with him and her favorite moment (can't say by whom cuz they didn't credit any of the questions), she answered--

LARA PARKER: I didn't work with him very much. Only went I first came on the show. He was very charming.

I guess she wasn't kidding when she told a friend at one of the Fests that she remembered nothing about her 1968 [Cassangelique] appearance.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2003, 03:00:00 PM »
Well, thanks for sharing that comment from Ms. Parker, Midnite.  I must say I find this baffling.  I thought the Vampiress Angelique arc was one of Lara's favorites, and she had a LOT to do with Joel during that storyline.

I guess Katie and Lara don't spend much time reading the books that have been published with their names on them!

G.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2003, 04:52:14 PM »
Okay, let's get really confused.  Joe Haskell was a cousin to the Jennings twins (and Amy).  There are a coupla ways that woulda been possible.  First, Joe would have to be descended from one of the 1890's Collinses other than Quentin.  That would seem highly unlikely.  Second, he would also hafta have been descended from Quentin.  Quentin's daughter was Lenore; she had a daughter who was the mommy of the Jennings.  But Lenore could've had other kids as well, maybe another daughter who married a Haskell.  But then why wasn't Joe a werewolf?

Unless Joe was more of a "cousin-in-law" to the Jennings kids.  So let's say that Lenore had two daughter:  Eunice and Sophie.  Eunice marries George Jennings and they have three kids - Tom, Chris and Amy.  Sophie marries Stanley Haskell, but they have no kids.  However, Stanley has a brother named Edgar who marries Martha (nee Stamborski) Haskell.  They have a son named Joe.  Sophie and Stanley Haskell would be the aunt (by marriage) and uncle (by blood) of Joe.  By extension, but not direct blood, Eunice and George would also be Joe's aunt and uncle, so their kids - Tom, Chris and Amy - would be his "cousins", or what I would call "cousins-in-law", since Joe is not directly related to the Jennings kids by blood, but only by marriage.  It does work.  I drew the chart lines to see.  To simplify it:  Joe's father is the brother of a man married to a sister of the mother of the Jennings'.

Gerard

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2003, 06:58:11 PM »
Okay, let's get really confused.  Joe Haskell was a cousin to the Jennings twins (and Amy).  There are a coupla ways that woulda been possible.  First, Joe would have to be descended from one of the 1890's Collinses other than Quentin.  That would seem highly unlikely.  Second, he would also hafta have been descended from Quentin.  Quentin's daughter was Lenore; she had a daughter who was the mommy of the Jennings.  But Lenore could've had other kids as well, maybe another daughter who married a Haskell.  But then why wasn't Joe a werewolf?

I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be  :)
If we go with the DS family tree on the FAQ page http://members.tripod.com/~MrJuggins/ds-109-2.txt, then that works because the curse afflicts the oldest male in the line only (presumably Tom was Chris' younger brother and that would make Joe third in line for the "curse"). If not, then, the other option is that Joe is not related to Chris, Tom, and Amy through their Collins ancestor, but through the other parent, who would not have to be a Collins at all.

Let's say Lenore's daughter married a man named Jennings, who proved to be the parent of Chris, Tom, and Amy. It's conceivable that the man had a sister who married a man named Haskell, who then fathered Joe. That would still make Joe first cousin to Chris, Tom, and Amy.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2003, 06:59:14 PM »
Joe's mother could have been George Jenning's sister who married Stanley Haskell.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2003, 09:31:05 PM »
uhhh maybe Joe Haskell is related to Tom and Chris's Father's side of the family . .. ?? hence, totally outta the werewolf sphere??
Julia99

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2003, 09:58:18 PM »
There's only gonna be one way to absolutely figure out how the Collins/Jennings/Haskells are all related:  The Maury Povich Show.

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2003, 12:46:53 AM »
There's only gonna be one way to absolutely figure out how the Collins/Jennings/Haskells are all related:  The Maury Povich Show.

Gerard

amen!!! lolololol Gerard ;D
What a Woman!

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2003, 07:46:53 AM »

Gerard

LOL!!!!  Gerard that's a good one!!  (Maury would sure get to the bottom of it!!)

Deb

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2003, 04:28:03 PM »
It's in the DNA as Maury says!(thanks maury for pointing
that out!) i always felt Joe's mother and Chris's father were related and always found it hard to believe in that small
town someone didn't know Lenore was a Collins and  found out The Jenning's mother was one too!
after all you can only keep a secret if only two people know about it and one of them is dead!
jennifer

also if Joe was on the maternal line that would have made him a Collins too and could have made
for some interesting storylines but quess he was too busy with Angie/Vamp to think about those things!

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2003, 04:31:57 PM »
But then why wasn't Joe a werewolf?

I think you're making this more complicated than it needs to be  :)

once again i'll bring this up does the curse only afflict the oldest male in a line? i've listened to the tapes and Magda
says all the males while Julia does explain it as the oldest male!
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2003, 08:13:58 PM »
Jen...I don't remember JULIA talking about the curse; do you by chance remember exactly what she says (or close)?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!