Author Topic: If Barnabas had married during the course of the series.....  (Read 6796 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: If Barnabas had married during the course of the series.....
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2006, 03:51:22 AM »
Oh goodness gracious, MB. Are you kidding?  Mrs. Johnson and Barnabas?

About Mrs. J - definitely.  ;D  About needing to marry someone who was capable of reigning him in - most definitely not. The man was totally out of control, which is why I agree with you that there wasn't really any existing character on DS that he would or should have married. No woman that he was ever paired with could handle his pigheadedness for long. He would have either completely overpowered her or they would have ended up killing one another.  ::)

The audience hasn't a clue how happy Barnabas and Josette could have been as they never had the opportunity nor the screen time.

Exactly. Many fans like to believe in the fantasy and the ideal the show fostered of what their life might have been like, but truthfully there's no real evidence that things would have worked out that way. And actually, given the fact that, even though it put supernatural twists on its plots, DS is still a soap in every sense, what couple ever stays happy forever on a soap? The entire point of soaps is people and relationships in conflict. It's no surprise whatsoever that the vast majority of soap's most popular individual characters have married, divorced and married again more times than they can count on the fingers of one hand, no matter how storybook each relationship might have appeared to have been at first.  [b003]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2006, 02:08:21 PM »
Oh, dear, nobody wanted Elizabeth for Barnabas.  I've seen two objections to her:  1) consanguinity and 2) resemblance to his mother.

1) Consanguinity:  not a problem.  There was no objection to a marriage between Barnabas's uncle and Elizabeth's I-don't-know-how-many-times-great-aunt, so Barnabas could marry Elizabeth.

2) Resemblance to his mother:  I have three count-'em-3 answers to that.
a)  This is something that never occurred to me, because Naomi and Elizabeth are such separate people in my mind.
b)  Men quite often marry women who look like their mother.
c)  In fact there was only a vague family resemblance between the Naomi and Elizabeth; they didn't look alike.  What we see on Dark Shadows is a theatrical representation of the history of the Collins family.  Budgetary considerations and an effort to make the story more accessible to viewers compelled Dan Curtis to use the same actress for Naomi and Elizabeth and the same actor for Roger and Joshua, and so on - but it wasn't really like that.  Oh, and by the way, the real reason that we never learned the true story of Vicky's parentage was that the surviving members of the Collins family threatened to sued that pants off of Dan Curtis Productions if it was made public.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2006, 03:03:40 PM »
True with regards to Harry. But the relationship between mother and son is very different than that between husband and wife. Trust me, I was a master manipulator when it came to my mom and getting around her and getting my way.  [b003]

Maybe.   And maybe your Mom  just got a kick out of watching you trying to manipulate her....

Trust me....I'm a Mom.... ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2006, 04:27:33 PM »
Maybe.   And maybe your Mom  just got a kick out of watching you trying to manipulate her....

Well, regardless of what she may or may not have been doing, I got what I wanted, and that's all that was important.  [b003]

Offline Professor Stokes

• Barnabas Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Conversation Pit
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 05:01:24 PM »
Quote from: onyx_treasure
I can't think of anyone he would marry.  Angelique reminds me of Glenn Close in that movie with Michael Douglas(can't think of the name).
"Fatal Attraction" :)

I see some similarities :o

But I think much of Angelique's hostility came from being spurned by Barnabas. "Hell hath no fury ..."

In the 1897 time, [spoiler]when they were allies against Petofi (Quentin), they were getting along quite well.[/spoiler]

I really think Angelique would have been quite a catch for Barnabas once she retracted her fangs. She showed signs of desperately wanting to lead a "normal" life with him. I believe she sincerely loved him. It was the intensity of that love that caused the collateral damage ;D
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 05:32:59 PM »
c)  In fact there was only a vague family resemblance between the Naomi and Elizabeth; they didn't look alike.  What we see on Dark Shadows is a theatrical representation of the history of the Collins family.  Budgetary considerations and an effort to make the story more accessible to viewers compelled Dan Curtis to use the same actress for Naomi and Elizabeth and the same actor for Roger and Joshua, and so on - but it wasn't really like that. 

The writers seemed to go out of their way trying to say they looked exactly alike.  Vicki goes back in time calling all the people by the names of the people she knew in her own time.  It got her into alot of trouble.  For example, she thought Abigail was Mrs. Johnson and said so.  She embraced Lt. Forbes because she thought he was Joe.  Those were just a few of her many gaffes in 1795.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2006, 05:54:53 PM »
     Professor Stokes welcome to the board and thanks for coming up with the title of that movie.  The reason I can't see them happily married is because Angelique is an extremely jealous person think of the movie "Leave her to Heaven".   In the movie, this beautiful women is adored by everyone so no one sees her dark side.  She has an obsessive love for Cornel Wilde(can't think of his characters name)She even murders his little brother and kills the child she is carrying so she would not have to share his love with anyone.  Sarah was a goner.  There is a scene in DS right after Angelique is married to Barnabas.  [spoiler]Barnabas has come back home after trying to find work.  She gives him the third degree.  She has eyes follow him.[/spoiler]  I could probably come up with  more but I would have to re-watch these episodes.  Of course, this is a great idea but I'm waiting for my kids to go back to school.

PS  If you have not seen "Leave her to Heaven" I highly recommend it.  It has Vincent Price in it. :-*
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2006, 06:03:51 PM »
true,

they made a very big deal about the fact that everyone vicki encountered in 1795 looked exactly like their present-time counterpart.you'd think that after the third or fourth time vicki is informed that the person standing in front of her was not who she thought they were she might have picked up on something but that's how things go with vic.

then when she returns to the present it goes into reverse and vicki has to register "shock" when she encounters for the first time those she met in 1795(peter/jeff,angelique/cassandra,noah.harry).

the poor girl spent the better part of six months "shocked". :o
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Professor Stokes

• Barnabas Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Conversation Pit
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2006, 09:10:27 PM »
Quote from: onyx_treasure
PS  If you have not seen "Leave her to Heaven" I highly recommend it.  It has Vincent Price in it.
Thanks. That's now on my "must watch" list. I love Vincent Price movies 8)
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2006, 11:06:50 PM »
I would have to say Angelique during the Leviathan story line.  Well, after she and Sky no longer saw eye-to-eye.  She was a reformed woman, still in love with Barnabas, and he obviously had deep affection for her as exemplified by how he held her tightly when she sobbed after finding out about - you know - Sky.  They had a definite love-connection at that moment.

Besides, like David said earlier, Barnabas and Angelique never did get a divorce.  They had an Endora-Maurice type marriage throughout the next several centuries.  By 1970 it was time to settle down.

Gerard

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2006, 02:16:24 AM »
Good points, Gerard, but of course the lovliness of that scene is ruined when Barnabas abruptly runs out on Angelique to warn Maggie once he finds out Nicholas is back, Barnabas did not always treat Angelique with the greatest tact, I am talking about in scenes where she had not shown any jealousy, been obnoxious, etc....

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2006, 03:54:39 AM »
  The reason I can't see them happily married is because Angelique is an extremely jealous person think of the movie "Leave her to Heaven".   
OMG, onyx-treasure, I have always thought that Ellen (the Gene Tierney character) was exactly what Angelique would have turned into if her and Barnabas's marriage had progressed.  Some fans have speculated, "Oh, if only they'd had a family together, they could have been so happy and Angelique would have calmed down" but I just know a tumble down the stairs and a trip in a rowboat would have been in store for anyone who got too close to Barnabas.

ProfStokes

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2006, 07:27:30 AM »
If you have not seen "Leave her to Heaven" I highly recommend it.  It has Vincent Price in it. :-*

I read the book.  I think it was several years later that I discovered the movie.  It's been a long time now, so I don't remember too much about it, but I think the movie captured the book pretty well.  As to the book, after a very slow introductory chapter, it was terrific.  I could hardly put it down, had to plow through it.  I don't remember the author's name, but I really recommend it.

(The comparison of Angelique to Ellen is good!)
Josette

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2006, 09:24:04 PM »
how do you know Barnabas ruled in bed?.... maybe Angelique ruled.

I think Angie probably did, and scared the hell out of him in the process, LOLLOL!

yes can't you see her with her whip heehee

Um, you're forgetting the very scandalicious episode 1202 when [spoiler]Bramwell and Catherine did the deed.  Remember, he ended up getting her pregnant![/spoiler]

i forgot that one but then again Morgan was so icky :o
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2006, 07:42:11 PM »
PS  If you have not seen "Leave her to Heaven" I highly recommend it.  It has Vincent Price in it.

I have seen it and its a great movie.  It's almost too painful to watch how [spoiler]the younger, crippled brother meets his end.[/spoiler]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf