Author Topic: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 4, The Book That Never Was  (Read 19489 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 4, The Book That Never Was
« on: July 14, 2020, 02:10:08 PM »
To start off this topic for what would have been Innovation's Book 4 in their '91 DS Comic series I'm going to share everything that was said in ShadowGram regarding Book 4 up to and including SG #66. Some of the info had slipped into a few things that I've already posted in the topics for the Books 1, 2 & 3, but I'd held off on posting most of it. And gathering it all here makes it a lot easier to see how things progressed.

From SG #58, November 1991:

From SG #62, October 1992:

From SG #63, January 1993:

From SG #64, April 1993:

From SG #65, July 1993:

From SG #66, October 1993:

I've said this before, but if Book 4 was truly going to follow what was planned for the 2nd season of the '91 Series, after Vicki's return from 1790, similar to the original series, she wouldn't fully remember that in 1790 Barnabas became a vampire or that the present day Barnabas is the same Barnabas as in 1790 (those details are discussed in Kathleen Resch's SHADOWS IN THE '90S: The Dark Shadows Concordance 1991). The thinking was that Vicki would never accept Barnabas as a vampire. But then, given David Campiti's many other claims throughout Innovation's comic series, should anyone be surprised that he would twist the truth? Though, considering Book 4 never happened, the point is moot.

Also, given the closure of Innovation in December 1993, David Campiti's insistence in October that Book 4 "will happen" could come across as wishful thinking. But supposedly none of the creative talent had any idea bankruptcy was so close at hand...

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Innovation's '91 DS Comic, Book 4, The Book That Never Was
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 03:47:37 PM »
That strikes me as a lot of plot for a 4 issue comic series. Vicki's realization that Barnabas is and was the vampire is new ground and would very much affect her relationships with Barnabas, Julia, Willie and Carolyn. What would she have done with this knowledge? Would she be an ally or would this turn her against the others? Would this put an end to her romance with Barnabas?
The whole Angelique issue is another example of what irritated me about the Innovation series, the need to fill in gaps that really didn't need to be filled in. We have enough information about her to follow the plot. Her actions kinda make as much sense as anyone else's.
The back story probably works better for the original series Angelique, who had a lot more depth to her character. Lara Parker was much better suited to telling that Angelique's back story than to the NBC character.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 04:22:19 PM »
 [pointing-up]  I couldn't agree with you more Uncle Roger! There was absolutely no need to give Julia's background a supernatural twist as was done in Book 1. To me it actually diluted the character rather than enhanced her. One of the best things about Julia in every other version of DS is that she's fully human and her skill set comes completely from science, not magic. But don't even get me started again on Barrettstown!

And with Vicki remembering Barnabas is a vampire, not only does that bring up so many complications with Barnabas, Julia, Willie and Carolyn, and Vicki and Barnabas' romance (though I'm sure many of those complications could have been fascinating to see unfold) we also have to remember that there have been hints along the way that Laura will be back. I don't believe any of the teases specifically said she would be back in Book 4 (I'll have to check on that), but once I post what SG #67 shares, there's little doubt that Laura was to be a part of at least Book 4, Issue 1. That would have REALLY complicated matters!! But then, if Barrettstown proved anything, it was that David Campiti was perfectly capable of complicating matter more than they needed to be.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 04:39:31 PM »
That artwork that you posted awhile back seemed to indicate that Laura's return was definitely in the works. When you add that to the Vicki cliffhanger and the Angelique origin, that's a lot of plot for a tv series, let alone a comic book. Even if Innovation had not gone out of business, with their erratic publishing schedule. It would have taken them years to get all of this in print. That's the kiss of death to a continued story.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 06:12:00 PM »
 [pointing-up]  It would have certainly been interesting to have seen how long it might have taken. It would have just been interesting to see how long it would have been before Book 4, Issue 1 even came out considering that Sccott Rockwell hadn't even finished scripting all of Book 3...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 06:40:10 PM »
Here's what SG #67 from January 1994 had to say about Book 4:

It's very interesting that Hector Gomez had already painted all 4 of Book 4's covers. And even though SG shared copies of the first two, I'm just going to share the first in this post:

Given her dark hair (perhaps as Trask accused on the original series, "The Devil has painted your hair," which I've always loved from the second I'd first heard it in Ep #519), it appears that they may have been going to go with some sort of a Laura/Cassandra hybrid. And for that reason I'm going to hold off sharing a much better, color version of the first Book 4 cover because along with it I want to share what Kathleen Resch's SHADOWS IN THE '90S: The Dark Shadows Concordance 1991 had to say about what the '91 Series' writers were thinking regarding Laura and Cassandra - but I haven't pulled out that book to scan it yet...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 12:40:10 AM »
Here's the color version of the cover for Book 4, Issue 1:

(Click here for a 2009X2846 version)

Presumably it's Laura or whomever who's on fire as a Phoenix and not Collinwood that's on fire. But after what we learned on the '91 Series about David's penchant for fire, who knows?

And here's what Kathleen Resch's SHADOWS IN THE '90S: The Dark Shadows Concordance 1991 regarding Laura and Angelique if there had been a second season. (There actually isn't a mention of Cassandra - I must have confused this source with whatever that source is. And if/when I come across it, I will share what it had to say regarding Cassandra possibly making an appearance if there had been a second season. But the woman on the cover certainly looks more Cassandra than Laura - especially considering that in every instance when we saw an image of Laura on the '91 Series and even in the comic she's been a blonde.):

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 01:26:45 AM »
If Laura had been Angelique all along, how does that not contradict her earlier appearances as a phantom? I really don't like the idea of Angelique possessing Laura. She'd already done that with Julia and Maggie. It needed a new twist. Also, if Angelique was so powerful, would she really have allowed herself to be put in an institution for an extended period. The Phoenix is probably the best solution, though it doesn't mean they'd have gone that way.
I'm not sure how the plot of the Gene Tierney movie would have adapted to DS. Would Roger have been the Waldo Lydecker equivalent? Louis Edmonds could have played that perfectly but I can't really see Roy Thinnes in that context.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 03:44:10 PM »
 [pointing-up]  I agree with all your points, particularly that when it came to a 2nd season of the '91 Series the phoenix was probably the best solution - and David's already established obsession with fire would have worked in perfectly with it. But we probably can't even begin to second guess what choice the comic might have made for Laura in Book 4 because outrageous choices seemed to be their forte! It's sad to say, but even if they established Laura as an alien from Venus (Venus being the "fire planet," after all) it wouldn't have surprised me.  [ghost_rolleyes]

As for how the movie Laura might have factored in, I have no idea because I've never seen it. (And even though a friend bought the DVD a few years back, we have yet to make time to watch it, despite the fact that it's often described as one of the 10 best mystery movies of all time and we both love watching mysteries...)

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 04:48:06 PM »
I don't want to spoil your eventual viewing of Laura. Suffice to say that it centers on a police officer investigating the messy death of the title character. He becomes obsessed with her after seeing her portrait. Maybe that's where they would tie Barnabas into the story. The character of Laura is very much talked about and there are some similarities to PT Angelique 
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 05:36:29 PM »
I didn't want to interrupt your analysis on what could have been storyline-wise had Innovation continued but I do have a little bit inside info on their sudden shutdown. (and no, no info on the storylines or my disdain of Felipe Echevarria or why he was selected.)

Years ago I saw a couple of the Innovation DS posters on EBay. They really are quite nice and nobody else bid. When I communicated with the seller, turns out he was a doctor who was an investor in Innovation. He never got any return so he ended up getting a legal judgement against Innovation allowing him to take possession of company assets. The last issue had already shipped out and wasn't worth his time, effort or expense to chase down from all the comic stores to repossess. Campiti had the artwork ( which he was selling a couple years later) so all he was really able to get back were the Innovation posters.  I asked how much he wanted for all the DS posters and we agreed on a price ( don't tell ebay lol...) When I received the box, it was a box of Quantum Leap posters. I offered to ship them back but he was like, never mind go ahead and keep them and Ill send you the correct ones ... which he did. Over time I have sold a few and given some posters away as club party prizes but still have plenty stashed away. So even though he was probably responsible for Innovations closure, to me he was a nice guy and I can't blame him. If I had to guess, Campiti had to be aware time was running out and the alligators were nipping at his heels. That would explain all the cutting of corners  (especially on the art ...GRR) in the hopes of raising enough cash by getting an issue out  to buy some time. Didn't work.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 06:32:20 PM »
David Campiti left Innovation in early 1993 and was no longer involved in the day-to-day running of the company from that point on, though he was still involved in some projects (like DS Book 4) on the creative end. If we can judge by the credits in the comics, someone named George Broderick, Jr. took over from Campiti at some point before Book 2, Issue 3 was put together - and that would jibe with the timing of Campiti's departure. Broderick had previously worked at Innovation as Art Director. And as far as the DS comic goes, he and Jim Pierson were credited in all of Book 1 as Consulting Editors - beginning with Book 2 Pierson and only Pierson was listed as Consultant or Consulting Editor - but both were again listed as Consulting Editors for Book 3, Issue 1. However, something I do find interesting is that his biography on his Web site makes no specific mention of running Innovation (or being associated with their DS comic, despite many other comic series' editing credits). But then, if I was in charge of a company when it went bankrupt, whether through my actions or not, I probably wouldn't draw attention to it either.

As for Felipe Echevarria, supposedly they specifically sought him out to do the interior art for Book 3. They claim they thought his style would be perfect for the story. But who knows...

Offline patrickm

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 07:44:21 PM »
I don't think I would fixate too much on the timing. Campiti was co founder of Innovation and raised the money to get it off the ground. He left in Aug 93 and the company crashed in Feb 94. Plus, after he left he was selling the original comic art from Innovation thru his Glasshouse Graphics company. So it isn't like he just walked away to move on to other opportunities ...there were a lot of investors and creditors (probably including the artists themselves) who got stiffed and he was probably looking to limit personal liability. As for the choice of artists, the public version is they were giving artists from Brazil opportunities but I think the truer version is economics.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 08:50:22 PM »
Not that it's all that important at this point, but I believe Campiti left before August of 1993. ShadowGram's #65 from July 1993 (which mailed on the 17th) reported that Campiti had already been replaced by Ellen Jones as Innovation's liason to SG. And SG #67's report (posted back in reply #143 for Book 3) says -
Here's what SG #67 from January 1994 had to share about Innovation:

And from inside the issue:

- that Campiti hadn't been involved in Innovation's day-to-day business since the spring of 1993. That report also points out that Innovation folded back in December of 1993.

As for hiring artists from Brazil, I suspect you definitely make an excellent point ere there that economics may have been behind that...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 09:16:27 PM »
Taking a break from Book 4 and continuing with the MPI tapes for the '91 Series, here's the first page of the listings for the tapes from MPI's 1994 Catalogue:

(Click here for a 1688X2192 version)