Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0350  (Read 1099 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0350
« on: November 24, 2012, 06:29:44 PM »
Robservations - #350

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0350

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 07:25:07 PM »
Another fabulous Barnabas-Julia scene. Julia volunteers to subject herself to Barnabas's bite. He is forced to actually consider her as a human being with personal qualities. It's almost funny to see his mortified vanity when he asks her if she doesn't consider him repellent to look at. When he reminds her that she will be subservient to his will, she smiles as if this is her dearest wish--and who knows, on some level it probably is. Barnabas asks, Why, Julia? With a faint smile, she murmurs, That’s the first time you’ve called me that. Instead of giving the obvious answer, she says carefully, I would be glad to help you in any way I can. Gravely he replies, As moved and even honored as I am, I feel I must refuse your generous offer, Dr. Hoffman. In remorse and shame, she begs him, Please don’t ever call me that again! You will always be Dr. Hoffman to me, he replies. I may need to call on your medical expertise at some time in the future. Julia mutters that she has some work to do downstairs. Despite their near enmity, Barnabas courteously rises from his chair as she leaves--the first time he accords her that distinction--then sinks back down slowly with a thoughtful look.

Poor David tries to warn Carolyn not to go to the Old House, once his favorite playground. She is wearing a pretty butter-yellow coat when she leaves. Unfortunately, she forgets the toy soldier, which remains on the foyer table.

Wow! What a finale! What must Julia be feeling? It still gives me the shivers.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 03:32:50 AM »
I liked the opening scene with Barrett & Henesy, especially the tenderness between the characters and the easy flow between the actors. Then of course things get hairy when David sees Barn in the window. Enter Liz. I thought the scene worked well. The close-up camera framed Bennett & Barrett beautifully at times. Poor David hears his staunchest ally condemn him.

You are so right, DarkLady! That scene between Frid & Grayson is awesome. I totally loved it on so many levels. One might think that Julia could feed Barn her blood intravenously, but as you noted, one might guess that Julia would actually prefer to be bitten.

Carolyn's/Barrett's screams in the final fade gave me goose bumps. Anyone think Barn had Carolyn in his sights to begin with and just got lucky after being foiled by David in his first attempt? It's seems kind of dumb for Barn to be at the drawing room window checking out Carolyn at that particular time, and yet, there he was.

Barrett is looking lovely lately. Bennett looked lovely too, though she was constantly looking at the teleprompter in this episode, not that she was forgetting her lines but it looked like she just couldn't resist looking.

I liked this episode.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 03:38:09 PM »
I wonder what could have prevented this had Carolyn taken the toy soldier?  Perhaps Barnabas would have been alarmed to see it and back off with Sarah in his thoughts?

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 05:35:14 PM »
That's what I think -- that these toys serve as a distraction. All anyone has to do is mention Sarah and it knocks Barnabas off his center. He might feel as though she were watching and that would be enough to stop him. That is, if he linked the soldier and Sarah together. But, Carolyn did pass the point of no return, something would have to have been done with her, so in this case, the toy soldier might not have been enough to protect/save her.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
Yes, and if Carolyn ran home and told Liz and Roger, they would have to believe her.  And then the Barnabas story would have to wind down.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 12:44:10 AM »
David sees the old man looking in the window.  The blood offering was a fun scene.  Carolyn finds Cousin BArnabas in the dramatic cliff hanger.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 04:45:34 AM »
Excellent show, lots of depth and complexity in the relationships.

My only wonder is why Carolyn doesn't mention that she and Vicki have also seen the bat flapping around the windows of Collinwood. That might have helped buttress the argument she was trying to make regarding David's credibility.