Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0192  (Read 697 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0192
« on: April 18, 2012, 04:53:04 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0192
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »
This was a rarity on Dark Shadows - or, surely, on any soap: an episode between storylines, when everybody is happy.  Well, almost.  Elizabeth is a little over-eager to get into the next storyline, but she doesn't get very far.

Where is Laura now?  Is she a grown woman, a bird, or a baby?   Is she wishing she could have brought David with her, or has she accepted that he is gone from her forever?  And what about David Radcliff?  Does she see him?

The scene with Roger and David was lovely.  Is it that Laura extracted all the acrimony between Roger and David so that it burned up with her?  And if David had gone with her, would anything else about him that was less than pleasing have burnt up too, leaving only a little phoenix angel behind?

I just love fire.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 06:12:56 PM »
So Roger was in town all night after putting Laura on the bus.

It occurred to me that whenever Roger is in denial about the weird happenings going on, he becomes really snippy and snobbish.

"I should have stayed here with him," he says regretfully, "I should have known he'd still be in danger."
Yes, you should have, you dummy.

It must be like two o’clock in the morning now. Everybody’s still up and Joe is keeping an eye on the fishing shack. Don’t these people have to get up in the morning???
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:01:29 PM »
No wonder Roger and Elizabeth are happy--at least for now. Both have survived 190 episodes with their separate secrets intact. But will they manage to keep those secrets in future? Elizabeth, for one, seems more anxious about Dr. Guthrie's possibly going to The Basement than about David.

Knowing that David is listening, Vicki gives Burke a very carefully worded version what happened in the fishing shack. Later, when she's tucking David in, he tells her he's glad he decided to stay. Is it because you know we all love you? Vicki asks. After what he's been through, David is actually receptive enough to say--in true David fashion--"I guess so." Vicki gives his hair a good-night tousle.

Yes, Janet, apparently Roger was spending a "semiforgetful" evening in town when his son and heir was in  danger of his life and had to be rescued by others. Apparently he thought his parental responsibilities ended once he'd put Laura on the bus out of town. Burke shows very delicate tact, I think, by leaving the room while Vicki describes the events at the fishing shack. Roger actually almost becomes emotional and goes upstairs to see David.

And a very nice scene ensues: Tentatively, Roger tucks David’s blanket in, which wakes him up. They have a brief talk, and Roger tells David not to worry. It’s all Roger can do to not to have an emotional outburst. He’s actually on the verge of giving David a hug but is able to restrain himself. In fact, he’s behaving so unlike his usual brusque self that David asks him if anything is the matter. No, Roger answers, it’s just that there’s so many things we don’t know.

Joe gives Laura's locket, which he found in the ashes at the fishing shack, to Vicki. He truly must have nerves of steel to look for it. Why did he give it to Vicki and not to, say, Carolyn, who's still the de facto Mistress of Collinwood?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:32:06 PM »
David has the first of many convenient, spontaneous, unexplained losses of memory on Dark Shadows.   Roger could easily turn against Vicki because of this... Vicki's message is: only two people saw your wife burn to death tonight, Roger: your son who remembers nothing for some reason (or rather, DOES remember being at the shack, remembers it burning, but doesn't remember Laura being there) -- and me.   You'll just have to take my word, Vicki would have to say.

That was definitely a well-done scene, with Roger and David.  Sproat again?   I like David's correction of Roger's grammar, then his immediately apologizing, not out of fear of punishment, but to be nice.  The two of them are just so anxious to be considerate to each other after this life-changing crisis (David must have some idea what happened on some level), taking such great pains to cushion each others' feelings....

I wondered why the police didn't have the locket now.   Were they ever called?   I'm sure "We put her on the bus, and that's the last we saw of her" will be the Collins family position, but the town's buzzing about the whole story, with Maggie getting minute-by-minute updates so that she's always on top of it, no doubt passing this along to everyone she sees while she explains that she's not the town gossip....  It's all reached Sheriff Patterson by now.

If this were my first viewing and not my second, I'd be five times more enthusiastic about all this.   I first saw this in January.   It would have been nice to chronicle a first-time viewing, with all the visceral responses, so I'm sorry I couldn't wait and had to watch over the holidays, and needed just to be a viewer, not a reviewer.  I really needed it then.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 02:42:41 AM »
David seems to know his mother is gone. Perhaps he is not too upset because she went to her storybook ending. I liked the line, "She was  Laura Murdoch Collins, whoever that was." It seemed to sum up the whole thing that no one was ever quite sure what was going on.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 03:23:43 PM »
I always prefer stories where not everything is explained. The territory for exploration and speculation is that much greater and so much more appealing to the imagination.

Watching Project

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:05:46 AM »
The Robservations caps for this ep have been posted.  [ghost_smiley]