Author Topic: Tonight in Los Angeles- LADYBUG, LADYBUG at the Egyptian!  (Read 530 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Tonight in Los Angeles- LADYBUG, LADYBUG at the Egyptian!
« on: March 19, 2006, 02:03:43 AM »
This 1963 Frank Perry film features Bob Cobert's first feature film score. Quite a rarity, it's never been released on VHS, LD or DVD and should be quite a treat.

It's part of a double feature with DIARY OF A MAD HOUSEWIFE which starts at 7:30PM, which should have LADYBUG, LADYBUG starting between 9:15 and 9:45.

ClaudeNorth

Re: Tonight in Los Angeles- LADYBUG, LADYBUG at the Egyptian!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 04:46:00 AM »
Wish I were in L.A. to see it.  I love Frank Perry!

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 08:22:55 PM »
Ladybug, Ladybug turned out to be a little black and white gem. Taut and gripping for the majority and a really terrific cast of kid actors. William Daniels and Nancy Marchand are also strong in their roles, but the focus here is really the interplay of the kids.

It's a very quiet, poetic film with a blistering, haunting ending. If it ever shows on TV, I'd recommend catching it.

Cobert's score is a very sparse one- consisting of around a dozen brief pieces, mostly a solo flute piece and compositions with harp and guitar as well. There were a couple familiar Cobert style chords and one short piece was evocative of the gentle daytime tv 'cut to commercial' cues from early DS, but really nothing that similar. Not an easy film to score, to be sure, but Cobert's music helps maintain a mood during transitions and helps the film from seeming airless.

And he's credited as 'Music Composed and Conducted by Robert Cobert' here.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 11:06:41 PM »
I saw it on FLIX a few years ago, and I think it was done in response to the Cuban Missile crisis.  Also, soap diva Kathryn Hays from As The World Turns is in it.  BTW, it's not the only Frank Perry film with a DS connection: Peter Turgeon (Dr. Woodard #3) played Barbara Hershey's stepfather in 1969's Last Summer, a film that's on top of my list of most-wanted-on-DVD (along with the DS films, of course!).