Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0769  (Read 548 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0769
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:40:55 PM »
Robservations #769

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0769

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 06:30:09 PM »
Dirk: "The reason I killed your mother was because she wanted me to."  Jamison took this news awfully well... Barbabas again gets to exhibit glee, when he settles with an enemy, Dirk.  At no other times is he happy...  Jamison sees coffin, end.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »
Mean Dirk shoves Beth down the steps to the basement after taunting her about guarding Barnabas. After Dirk leaves, Beth goes downstairs and finds Barnabas slumped half in, half out of the coffin. Knowing he isn’t dead even though he is unresponsive, she carefully tucks him back in, shuts the lid, and at last sits down to have a well-earned cry.

Talking to Jamison at the cottage, RD fluffs a line: Dirk tells Jamison he killed Jamison's mother--he means he killed Barnabas. But since Dirk is insane by now, it is no wonder he is confused. He also tells Jamison that Barnabas is a vampire--he uses the V word--and tells him to check out the basement at the Old House.

Beth is still sitting beside the coffin when the lid starts to open. Startled, she exclaims, It can’t be! Beth! Barnabas calls. I thought you were dead, Beth says apologetically. I saw him! Dirk came--and shot you! I know, Barnabas says. I saw him while in my coffin. I tried to fight him, but when the dawn came my life force left me. I don’t understand, Beth says. He shot you! Barnabas explains: I do not live as other men do. Why should you think I can die as other men do? [That is beyond cool!] I wonder where the bullet holes are, Beth says. I saw them! Barnabas (taking a big risk, I think) explains, There are only two ways to destroy me--a stake through the heart or silver bullets--and Dirk had neither. He warns Beth not to tell Quentin any of this--Quentin could be dangerous. Beth pleads that Q. is just frightened--but it's still no excuse for striking her. What a strange, soft-hearted girl you are, Barnabas comments, his face very close to hers. In this world of heartless people, you are going to be hurt. Perhaps I used to be like that, Beth muses sadly, when I stood in this very house [even though she’s at the Old House] and pleaded with Quentin not to kill Jenny, but I’m not any more. She finishes grimly, I’m hoping you’ll find Dirk quickly and do whatever you must to silence him. Still intent on fulfilling his mission in the past, Barnabas assures her, I will. Don’t worry--I won’t let him or what he knows get in the way of what I must do here.

Crazy Dirk tells Laura that he's killed Barnabas--does that make her happy? Just then, Barnabas's laugh fills the air. Terrified, Dirk shouts at him to stop. Are you frightened? Barnabas asks hopefully. Dirk protests that Barnabas is dead. How can you kill someone who is already dead? Barnabas asks reasonably. Barn toys with him a little longer before finally materializing and promising, You will never leave this house alive. Even as Dirk promises that soon everyone will know Barn's secret, Barn closes in for the bite.

Jamison opens the front door to the Old House and steps into the drawing room. He spots the metal door. [Someone in a light-colored shirt is barely visible in the background.]

At the cottage, Dirk is weak from blood loss. Barely able to stand, he tells Barnabas, Jamison. You told Jamison? Barnabas asks in amazement. Dirk reaches for Barnabas’s cape, then collapses. Beth knocks at the door and steps in, horrified in spite of herself. Is he...? she breathes. Dead? Barnabas replies calmly. Not yet. I did what was necessary. Did he tell anyone? Beth asks. Yes--Jamison, Barnabas replies. It may be all right. Go to Collinwood, he orders her, and keep Jamison from talking to anyone. Beth tells him, Judith and Edward are in Collinsport for the evening. That will make it easier, Barnabas comments. If Jamison tells you, be subtle, he advises. Keep asserting that Dirk was insane, spinning a mad tangle of fantasies that aren’t true. Make him believe it, Barnabas orders her. I’ll try, she promises. Above all, don’t mention any of it to Quentin. I promise not to, Beth assures him, but for good measure Barnabas warns her: Remember, in case you’re tempted, that I am Quentin’s only hope. If anything is found out about me, there’s no telling where it will end or with what victims. I promise to do whatever I can, Beth assures him again. Don’t harm Jamison in any way, no matter what, Barnabas orders her. I promise, Beth repeats, then asks, What are you going to do about Dirk? I have a plan, Barnabas tells her. Go to Jamison now. But we viewers know that this is too little, too late.

Jamison warily descends the cellar steps and sees the coffin. Horrified, he exclaims, It’s true! What Dirk said--it’s true!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 07:40:42 PM »
I did wonder, Barnabas isn't really going to tell Beth the two ways to kill him, is he?  Then he did.  You do seem to catch all sorts of flubs in the background that I don't, DL.  I wonder if we're already past the point where the Old House staircase is actually gone for one scene, and I missed it...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »
Yes, MT, Barnabas telling Beth how to kill him was pretty strange. I have no explanation for it, unless the writers felt they had to reassure the viewers that he wasn't in any serious danger.

I remember the missing staircase at the OH, but I just don't remember whether it's happened already or not.  I think maybe it did. Gah.

I did a lot of transcribing for a friend (the person who first introduced me to the show) who didn't have access to the SciFi (as it was called then) channel, so I had to do a lot of rewinding. I can't imagine having that kind of time now!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 09:07:30 PM »
It's nice catching something that you've never heard about anyone else catching.  In some 1968 closing credits, I think, tiny in the extreme lower left of the screen, but clearly visible, there was a stagehand sitting on a window seat eating a sandwich!  Not a glimpse of an arm, but the entire guy! 

I couldn't believe Barnabas's "Remember... someone!" moment, and Lang helpfully supplying "Dave Woodard!" even though he wasn't supposed to know a thing about that...

Barn telling Beth... it seems to me to be a sort of writing lapse when that happens.  Simple functional plot writing, straightforward explanation, takes over instead of character or motivation or psychology.  The plot moves forward more simply if he just blurts the info out....

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 12:27:56 AM »
"Remember ... someone" is one of my favorite moments!

I do remember the stagehand eating a sandwich during the closing credits. I guess for those they just left the camera running without actually checking too carefully.

For me, it's these moments that give the show its great charm.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 01:21:13 AM »
We're getting way OT here. But regardless of that I do feel the need to point out yet again that when it comes to the "remember... someone" incident, it really is quite possible that Dr. Lang could have known all about what went down with Dr. Woodard because it was clearly established that Barnabas was telling Lang his past history. True, we didn't see Barnabas specifically tell Lang about Woodard. But there was so much for Barnabas to cover that it would have been rather odd, not to mention tedious, if the show had shown Barnabas telling Lang about everything. But just because we didn't specifically see it, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's completely out of the realm of possibility that Barnabas did indeed discuss Woodard with Lang.  [ghost_wink]

Would that some other "bloopers" could possibly be explained away by things that were clearly established on the show.  [ghost_grin]