Author Topic: Strange "Quotes"  (Read 892 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Strange "Quotes"
« on: February 23, 2003, 12:12:32 PM »
I don't have any problems trying to "quote" someone when I reply to someone's message in a thread but when that same person that I try to "quote" has also quoted someone in their message I find that when I just hit "quote" then reply, I wind up getting the other persons "quote" along with the poster's "quote" that Im trying to quote. ( I hope this makes sense)

So anyway what I wind up having to do is dropping the quote altogether and then I  have to copy & paste what I want to quote in my message.  This never happened before so I was just wondering if this is something new with the board?

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Strange "Quotes"
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2003, 04:05:02 PM »
This never happened before so I was just wondering if this is something new with the board?

Yes, this version of YaBB allows quotes within quotes, which I think is neat because it's something I'd wished the other version had allowed. But if anyone quotes from a post and doesn't want to include the passage that the previous poster had quoted, all they have to do is edit out whatever was quoted from that third person as well as the opening and closing quote tags. In other words, say someone wanted to respond to this post but they didn't want to include the part I'd quoted from your message. When they hit "quote" on this post, they end up with this:

Code: [Select]
[quote author=Mysterious Benefactor link=topic=3563.msg31901#msg31901 date=1046012702]
[quote author=Cassandra link=topic=3563.msg31892#msg31892 date=1045998752]This never happened before so I was just wondering if this is something new with the board?[/quote]

Yes, this version of YaBB allows quotes within quotes, which I think is neat because it's something I'd wished the other version had allowed. But if anyone quotes...[/quote]

However, they don't want to include your quote, so they'd removed all this:

[quote author=Cassandra link=topic=3563.msg31892#msg31892 date=1045998752]This never happened before so I was just wondering if this is something new with the board?[/quote]
So that they'd end up with only this:

[quote author=Mysterious Benefactor link=topic=3563.msg31901#msg31901 date=1046012702]

Yes, this version of YaBB allows quotes within quotes, which I think is neat because it's something I'd wished the other version had allowed. But if anyone quotes...[/quote]

Which would show up like this in their post:

Yes, this version of YaBB allows quotes within quotes, which I think is neat because it's something I'd wished the other version had allowed. But if anyone quotes...

I hope that helps. ;)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Strange "Quotes"
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 11:09:08 AM »
Thanks MB!!   :)
"Calamity Jane"