Author Topic: Hard times for cannery workers  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Hard times for cannery workers
« on: April 04, 2010, 03:44:39 PM »
The last sardine cannery in the US is scheduled to close on April 18.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/04/us/04cannery.html?scp=3&sq=sardines&st=cse

It is located in Hancock County in Maine, which I believe is supposed be the location of Collinsport.  I'm imagining the cannery in Collinsport closing, with the associated layoffs.  What would be happen to the cannery building?  Would it be turned into condos for Massholes?

Further down in the article, it is noted that employees at the cannery that is closing were allowed to take home two free cans of sardines per day, though few did.  I wonder if the Collinses were so generous.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Hard times for cannery workers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:25:52 PM »
It is located in Hancock County in Maine, which I believe is supposed be the location of Collinsport.

Yup. Collinsport is located "in Hancock County, not far from Frenchman's Bay."  [easter_wink]

I'm imagining the cannery in Collinsport closing, with the associated layoffs.  What would be happen to the cannery building?  Would it be turned into condos?

Probably. Practically every abandoned mill or factory in my area has been turned into condos. Some of them are quite nice.

Further down in the article, it is noted that employees at the cannery that is closing were allowed to take home two free cans of sardines per day, though few did.  I wonder if the Collinses were so generous.

LOL! But I suspect that would seem like little compensation for what was probably years of service.  [easter_undecided]

If the Collins Cannery did close, I wonder what business the Collinses would get into next? Or perhaps they would have already diversified and gotten into other things...

Actually, that makes me wonder what the Collinses in the Depp/DS film might be into? I wonder if it's even a subject that will be touched on?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 01:28:21 PM »
Today's the day.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 09:34:56 PM »
If the Collins Cannery did close, I wonder what business the Collinses would get into next? Or perhaps they would have already diversified and gotten into other things...
I picture Quentin as some sort of Richard Branson guy, who by now has widely diversified the Collins fortune...

That is sad news though. American owned businesses are becoming a thing of the past. They just cannot compete with the cheaper foreign products which are almost always of lesser quality. I still have an old Curtis Mathis 20" TV that works like a champ!

Here in Houston we are waiting for the hammer to fall as to the fate of NASA jobs.  With the shuttle retiring it will put alot of jobs out the window. What the heck is someone supposed to do with an aerospace engineering degree if he can't work for the space program? It won't affect me personally, but I have a few longtime friends who work there and they are not sure what the future will hold.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 12:34:52 PM »
I did read the article in the ChicagoTrib about the cannery closing.  I believe that as a result of this American's won't be able to buy canned sardines from an American company any longer.  I ate an awful lot of sardines as a kid and just started back again with an appetite for them.  They are excellent to serve with scrambled eggs in the a.m.  I believe there will be a resurgence of eating sardines due to the economy and the fact that people will realize that its actually a good source for Omega3.  I live in a  small rural town which is starting to see growth.  We now have a WalMart and the developers have arrived right behind them! Its really sad to what is happening but it seems that all we can do is say goodbye to a way of life around here. (corrected typo)
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf