Author Topic: Email programs  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Email programs
« on: December 29, 2005, 10:35:11 PM »
I'd like to hear anyone's and everyone's opinion about what's the best and/or easiest email program to set up and use.  I've never done it before, never used this Outlook program - always had email that was built in from the isp provider.  I looked at Outlook, and it seems rather odd/complicated, etc.  Don't understand this news group thing, plus since it's a Windows program I'm assuming it might be nothing but trouble.

Can anyone recommend a good, reliable, easy program?

Thanks
CLC

[lamer]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re: Email programs
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 11:34:16 PM »
I'm very pleased with Mozilla Thunderbird (in combination with the Firefox browser). I wouldn't say it's easier than Outlook, as it works virtually the same way. Like Mozilla Firefox, it doesn't suffer the vulnerabilities of the MS universe. You'll have a similar setup to go through no matter what email client you choose.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 10:37:03 AM »
As a gift for Christmas a year or two back, I bought my mother-in-law IncrediMail.  She loves to send out cutsy e-mails to her lady friends.  It's fairly easy to use.  There are lots of web sites devoted on how to use it.

Some other older Gekko based e-mail clients are Mozilla Suite and Netscape.  Even though I used Thuderbird for years, I found it really unstable for my business purposes and glup went back to Outlook.  Many businesses just require it because of MicroSoft Exchange (network version of Outlook) as well as other business applications that Integrate with the mailing list.  It still relies on ActiveX which is always the bad thing.   But let's not kid ourselves, hackers are going to attack any e-mail client and not any one program is exempt, even Thunderbird.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 08:26:50 PM »
But let's not kid ourselves, hackers are going to attack any e-mail client and not any one program is exempt, even Thunderbird.

But let's not kid ourselves, hackers are going to attack anyWINDOWS e-mail client and not any one program is exempt, even Thunderbird. However, LINUX e-mail clients are blissfully attack free. Not being the dominant operating system has several advantages.  [wink2]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 02:46:52 AM »
I've heard good things about gmail (via google).  I decided to set up an account myself this week, but discovered that you have to have a mobile phone in order to set up an account.  They will then send you some sort of code over the phone that you must use in order to get the gmail account.  Sounds bizarre and excludes those few remaining people on the planet such as myself who do not have a cell phone.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 04:25:35 AM »
I've heard good things about gmail (via google).  I decided to set up an account myself this week, but discovered that you have to have a mobile phone in order to set up an account.  They will then send you some sort of code over the phone that you must use in order to get the gmail account.
Yes, that is one way to do it, but, if you know anyone with a Gmail account, they can email you an invitation to set up an account and you don't need a mobile phone. Each member gets something like 100 invitations they can send out.

If you PM me your current email address, I'd be happy to send you a Gmail invite.  [santa_smiley]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 06:52:42 AM »
MsCriseyde,

I tried sending you a PM about this but you must be very popular, because it said your box was full, if I understood the message correctly!

:o

Vlad

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 09:02:50 PM »
Well,
I'd like to thank my cousins for their suggestions.  I FINALLY d/loaded Thunderbird, installed it, and it's working fine!  I actually did it right the first time without screwing something up.   ::)
It's nice - I like it.  PLUS.....what a relief after months of having to use webmail.

[wavey]

(NOW.....if I could just get this worthless husband to fix the OTHER problems with this system, maybe I'd be able to do screen captures and video stuff)   :'(
(A new motherboard has been sitting here for months - STILL in the box)  Big help.  ::)

Signed,
Complaint Dept.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 09:43:10 PM »
I FINALLY d/loaded Thunderbird, installed it, and it's working fine!

[thumb]

(A new motherboard has been sitting here for months - STILL in the box)

OMG - a new motherboard wouldn't sit unopened/uninstalled in my house for even two seconds!  ;)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 09:29:37 PM »
OMG - a new motherboard wouldn't sit unopened/uninstalled in my house for even two seconds!  ;)

Well now.....see?  There ya go.

-Case closed

:(
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 11:05:56 PM »
Well now.....see?  There ya go.

-Case closed

Well, not exactly. You could open the box and install it.  ;)  Installing a motherboard isn't quite on a par with performing brain surgery.  :D  It's simply a matter of unplugging a few connections and AGP/PCI/(maybe ISA) cards and then reconnecting them. And unless the motherboard's manual is a completely worthless piece of junk (which is exceedingly unlikely), it provides a complete step by step explanation of how to install/set it up. It's all pretty straightforward. So much so that even someone who might consider themselves to be completely computer technology inept could easily accomplish it. Someone might be hesitant or even afraid to attempt it - but anyone most definitely can do it.  [b003]

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2006, 11:55:22 PM »
Oh Jeez...I don't know.
I don't understand anything that's going on in there.  Plus the new motherboard doesn't fit in the old case so there's a new case, plus the graphics cards and other crapola to deal with.  PLUS, there's a new drive I want in there because I'd like to try running 2 different operating systems.

Ram chips, graphics cards, sound cards.....I don't know what I'm looking at.  I've seen the inside once.  I don't even know how the VCR or the little card thing that gets the pictures from my camera are hooked up.   :-

Yes, I'm ashamed to say I'm totally useless in this area. 
Wish I could just take the whole mess to Comp USA and have them set it all up but I know this would cause....trouble, shall we say....and we can't afford it anyway.

-Walking on eggshells

Oh how I WISH I could play with that MovieMaker program, but my current Pentium chip isn't good enough.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 01:16:58 AM »
Actually, it couldn't be simpler to screw a motherboard into a case. And strange as it may seem, someone doesn't really even need to know what a card actually is or what it does to install it. All someone needs to do is install a card in the correct type of slot (AGP/PCI/ISA - though if it's a newer motherboard, it's not very likely to have ISA slots) and it's pretty much impossible not to because the card won't line up correctly otherwise. And if one is simply switching a card from an old motherboard to a new one, all they need to do is install the card in the slot on the new motherboard that looks just like the one on the old. And so far as reconnecting any cables on, say, a sound card, simply take note of where they were disconnected and then connect them back in the same spots. No biggie. RAM strips are even easier to install. Hard drives are easier still. And once everything is in place, the motherboard's own BIOS should have no problem whatsoever identifying what's what - and it will communicate that info to the operating system once that's installed.

In my experience, the only problems that might arise would be with installing Windows. True, installing WinXP is light years ahead and much simpler than installing Win95 or Win98 ever was, but it can certainly still be temperamental. (And if you ask me, the Windows operating system is ALWAYS going to be temperamental. MIcrosoft will never get their act together when it comes to that!  ::)) Though even the most temperamental install can be straightened out by following the advice that Windows itself provides the user - most notably in the Device Manager area. Microsoft's Windows support techies might like to make it seem as if they're ALL-KNOWING. But the truth is that the only thing they might have on you is more experience. The simple and unvarnished truth is that there's nothing they can tell you that with a little investigation Windows won't actually tell you itself.