Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0860  (Read 304 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0860
« on: January 10, 2015, 05:10:48 PM »
Robservations #860

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0860

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 07:45:29 PM »
The hand turns out to be Edward's. Kitty saves herself the first way she can think of--by pretending to faint. Edward believes her when she insists she doesn't know what she was doing in Quentin's room. After Edward takes her away, PQuentin steps out from behind the drapes of a conveniently located window in the hallway. When he enters Quentin’s room, he finds that the visitors left the empty frame uncovered. Frantically he goes through Quentin’s belongings, starting by searching the armoire.

Dowstairs, Edward leaves Kitty in the drawing room. Entirely forgetting the bell pull, he goes to the kitchen to tell Cook to make tea. Once more Kitty is drawn to Barnabas's portrait. Angelique arrives, again carrying a small bundle. She is shocked when Kitty refers to the woman who _lived_ at the rectory. Angelique rushes out without another word.

In the drawing room, PQuentin grills Edward. I know you and Kitty were in my room, he says accusingly--why? Edward tries to get out of answering, but PQuentin insists. She had a seizure, Edward says finally. I saw it, too. And you believed it? PQuentin asks in pretended outrage. Yes, Edward replies, genuinely outraged. And I find your distrust of Kitty unforgivable. And I find your trust of her equally upsetting, PQuentin shoots back. Oh, you do? Edward asks, bristling. You know how close Gerald, Kitty and I were! [no, not THAT close!] Do you know _everything_ about them? PQuentin asks. Of course, Edward huffs. PQuentin plays his ace: With all of your information, do you know that shortly before Gerald Soames died, he was released from prison? You’re mad! Edward exclaims, deeply shocked. No, PQuentin replies, Blackmoor Prison. He was jailed for a common jewel robbery. I don’t believe it! Edward exclaims indignantly. PQuentin replies, Well, believe me, you will. He goes on, very softly and quite uncharacteristically for the real Quentin, I know all about Gerald Soames. I have made it my business to find out. Very uncomfortable indeed, Edward shouts, You’re a liar! PQuentin tells him, Check and see. I wouldn’t soil Gerald’s memory, Edward declares. Shall I tell you more? PQuenin asks. No, you shall not! Edward shouts. There was never a finer, more respected couple in England than Gerald and Kitty Soames. If I ever hear that you have told one person this insane and vicious story, I shall be forced to do everything I can to get you out of this house! He storms off, making for the servants’ door, but PQuentin only laughs. [And well he might. Petofi, of course, knows the facts, all too well, but what PQuentin reveals is supposedly the result of research, an activity completely out of character for the real Quentin. Indignantly refusing to believe "Quentin," Edward does not even stop to ask how his “brother” obtained his information.]

Kitty comes downstairs and announces to Edward that she wants to go for a drive--alone. PQuentin prevails on Edward to let her be.

Kitty has made a beeline for the Blue Whale. She asks Pansity about her warning that Kitty would find a music box that would cause her death. Kitty makes a bad mistake by putting a large diamond brooch on the table. Mesmerized, C/P asks, What do you want me to do? Take it now, Kitty says, and say you’ll help me. But C/P actually gets up and walks away from it. Whatever people say about me, I don't cheat, she says indignantly. If I can do something, and then you want to make me a little present, then that is up to you. But I don't get paid in advance for nothing. You’re very kind, Kitty says. C/P bursts out laughing. I’m a lot of things, she says, but that isn’t one of those I can boast about. Calming down, she adds, I can’t tell you why you’re acting the way you are, or even why I saw the music box. Kitty asks, Do you always tell the truth? Yes, C/P says. I don’t like to be lied to, so I don’t lie. Kitty makes another big error when she asks, Are you working for Count Petofi? If you do, it will mean he’s responsible for all of this. Did he make you do this to me? C/P bursts out laughing again. You think he told me to think of the music box? she asks. Having come to some kind of tacit agreement, the two sit down together at a table. You’ve got it all wrong, C/P tells Kitty. Who’s doing it if not Petofi? Kitty wonders. Sometimes things happen that no person can cause, C/P tells her gravely. Spirits can reach us--touch us--torment us. But why? Kitty asks. Why would a spirit do that to me. There is a way, C/P suggests, a way of telling if it’s the supernatural or Count Petofi. Whatever it is, I’ll do it, Kitty says eagerly. Tonight, at midnight, I’ll come to Collinwood, C/P tells her. I will wait for you, Kitty promises. You forgot something, C/P says pointedly--the brooch is on the table. Kitty picks it up and thanks her.

After their quarrel, Edward and his "brother" sit down for a brandy to celebrate the end of "Quentin"'s bachelor state. Angelique returns and asks to speak to "Quentin" alone--then announces that she isn't going to marry him, now or ever.

Promptly at midnight, C/P and Kitty are conferring in the foyer. C/P explains, We will have a séance--it’s the only way. Having just stepped onto the upstairs landing, Edward hears this. What’s the only way? he asks. A séance, C/P explains. Do you mind if we invite a few spirits into the house, guv’nor? she asks jokingly. I certainly do mind, Edward says crossly. I’m the one who wants to do this, Kitty explains. I must learn what’s happening, she pleads--please don’t stop this. I want to join the séance, Edward says at last. I’ve been through this much with you, and it’s affected me nearly as much as it has you. I will take part, Miss Trask. C/P bridles, but after a moment she decides not to make an issue of it and leads the way into the drawing room. There must be only one light in the room, C/P says as she closes the doors. Edward brings a candle and sets it on the little round table where the Collinses conduct their séances. As they all sit down, C/P instructs the others, Our hands must touch, unbroken, to form a circle of concentration. Once everyone is ready, C/P calls out, Are there any spirits in this room? We await a spirit who has a message for one of us. Kitty looks terrified as C/P continues, A spirit that is tormenting one of us. We wish that spirit to appear. Come to us now! Speak to us if you can! Come to us and tells us what it is you want--let us help you! The lights flicker, and Kitty calls out to Edward. C/P asks, Is someone here? Someone else? If so, give us a sign. They hear three slow knocks at the door. Someone is here! C/P says. Suddenly they hear a rushing wind, and the single candle on the table is blown out rather audibly (by Nancy Barrett, actually). Who blew the candle out? Edward asks. I feel the presence of someone, C/P intones, of one who is trying to communicate with us. Who is it? Kitty asks. The doors fly open, and Kitty gives a little scream. Edward starts up reflexively, but C/P reminds them, Don’t break contact! Stay seated! We must leave the way open for the spirit to appear to us! Kitty, who is facing the doorway, fearfully tells the others, Look in the doorway! They turn, and as lightning flashes, they see a caped and hooded figure. Who are you? Edward demands.....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 07:54:10 AM »
I'm an easy viewer to fool.  I missed Nancy blowing out the candle... So where does the backstory about Gerald Soames come from?  It reminds me of an Avengers in which wealthy, aristocratic ex-officers were doing very difficult burglaries because they were addicted to danger, from their time in the service... and another episode where experts in various fields were hypnotized into burglarizing.  With any backstory, I suspect Violet Welles... but no, it was Sam Hall, unless VW ghost-wrote so to speak, as she was known to sometimes.

It'd be nice to see a crowded Blue Whale in 1897.  A costumer's nightmare possibly?  I like Pansy's reaction to Kitty's offer of the jewelry.  In fact, I like her throughout the scene, and episode.  NB is very "on" and engaged.  The scene in the bar probably wasn't meant to be much, but she squeezes a lot of Pansy into it, and makes it come alive.

They sure got that seance going without any time wasted, no arguments, no dismissive blustering from Ed...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 04:25:58 PM »
I think Ed took part in the séance because Kitty was there, and he didn't want to antagonize the supposedly wealthy widow of his BFF. The back story was nicely done, I thought, just enough to intrigue us without piling on extraneous details.

When Pansity first came on the scene, I found her really irritating, but I ended up being totally won over by NB's ever deepening portrayal of what probably was meant to be a throwaway character. She really makes us care, and I even have some ideas about her eventual fate that I will reveal when we're at the end of this story line.