Author Topic: Prof. Stokes' "Flat"  (Read 3010 times)

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
Re:Prof. Stokes' "Flat"
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2003, 04:11:45 PM »
"Apartment" is the word I've seen everywhere in the Boston area.  I don't think you can lump the terms "apartment", "flat" and "condo" together, because "condo" would imply ownership, wouldn't it?

I don't know if Prof. Stokes owns or rents his "flat", but my hunch is that he might.  I'm sure that Maine condos in 1970 were but a fraction of the price that people pay today in this insane Boston housing bubble.

Alas, for many of us, unless you're wealthy or married here in Eastern Massachusetts, owning your own home is but a distant dream!   :-[ 
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2003, 04:41:03 PM »
Another New Englander here.   Never called flats just apartments, duplexes, condos and dumps.

LOL!!!

Here on Long Island, the correct term for most rented living space is "illegal".   ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2003, 07:38:21 PM »
Are you sure you haven't been living a sheltered life out there, MB?  ;D

Quite possibly. ;) But all one has to do is check the "For rent" section in any NE paper's "Classified" section to see that nowhere does the word "flat" appear - (as many have already said) they're all referred to as "apartments," whether they be in an apartment complex or a two, three or even six family house.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2003, 08:54:17 PM »
If I'd been asked before this thread, I'd have said he lived in a cottage. But a flat is a flat.

dom

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2003, 06:11:49 AM »
"Apartment" is the word I've seen everywhere in the Boston area.  I don't think you can lump the terms "apartment", "flat" and "condo" together, because "condo" would imply ownership, wouldn't it?

I don't know if Prof. Stokes owns or rents his "flat", but my hunch is that he might.  I'm sure that Maine condos in 1970 were but a fraction of the price that people pay today in this insane Boston housing bubble.

Alas, for many of us, unless you're wealthy or married here in Eastern Massachusetts, owning your own home is but a distant dream!   :-[

so true Happybat even Western Mass is getting pricey
and Mb is right  i think apartment is the word!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2003, 12:48:34 AM »
I didn't know there were condos in 1970 ... though I must have become familiar with that term/concept not too much later than this, because I think it was around 1972 when an aunt of mine bought one ...  but I grew up in a smaller town where there never have been condos!

BTW dom, in the earlier thread on this topic (it might have been on the former VantageNet board), I pointed out the hallway or entry outside Stokes' door, which seemed to not be part of his own quarters -- though I think there was a scene at that time where Julia and perhaps Barnabas approached an outside -- as in cold, windy, outdoors -- door and knocked on it when visiting Professor Stokes.  That was the only time we saw Stokes' place from the outside (or people knocking outdoors).  Every other time, people seem to knock from a hallway or common area.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995