Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0466  (Read 990 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0466
« on: May 28, 2013, 05:42:04 PM »
Robservations #466

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0466

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 07:22:31 PM »
Was DS the first soap to be a period piece, taking place in some earlier century?

Get 'im Vicki!   Same stock sound effect of car crash used again...   I forgot that the Lang story started right here, this soon.   Who supplies hospital patients there with the cliche jammies?  I doubt somehow that Barnabas had those in his luggage...

Unwelcome, Eric Lang!   Is the nurse (aCTRESS: kATHERINE bALFOUR) English, or does she just think she is?   

I really identify with Barnabas's dread of finding himself in a regular-people's hospital, where they would have no clue about his need to avoid sunlight, and the disaster they could cause for him.   With my light hypersensitivity, my biggest fear isn't an accident that could put me in the hospital, not the injury or illness itself, but the fact that they'd almost certainly do enormous harm to me by being dense or dismissive about the sensitivity, and sticking me in a normally-lit room.

Good ending... the story's really moving along fast, now.   Did Barnabas really suffer from the afternoon light, or did he react that way because he expected to suffer so much?    Good cries from Mr. Frid.

Fifth use of the word "vampire", by loud-mouthed buttinski Lang.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 09:21:44 PM »
Um, welcome (I guess) Jeff Clark. But he does have a nice moment of gallantry when he tells Vicki, You seem to have cared for this Peter. The young man is so bold and courteous at once as to add, I envy him.

Julia's tenacious loyalty in the face of Lang's railroading of her patient is something to see!

Barnabas (wearing striped pajamas, not the usual backless hospital gown) wakes up to find Dr. Lang in his room. We must assume that Barn has had the transfusion already, since no IV equipment is in evidence--or any other kind either, even though he’s supposedly on the critical list.

Barnabas is even more frantic than Julia was about getting home, especially when Dr. Lang says it's four o'clock. But he won't let Barnabas leave. Lang explains, "You’ve had not only a massive transfusion but also many drugs, including certain experimental ones. We need to talk." Apparently the idea of informed consent has not yet made its way to Collinsport. Even if Barn was in no condition to consent, Lang would have had to notify his next of kin, no?

Addison Powell certainly can't resist hamming it up when Lang flings open the curtains as he tells the horrified Barnabas, Yes, it is four o'clock--in the AFTERNOON!

I remember enjoying JF's whole performance at this moment. I also didn't remember that they get right into the next story line, barely a day after Vicki has returned from 1795.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 10:08:48 PM »
For Barnabas to be admitted into a hospital and knocked unconscious, could the car have crashed into a bed of garlic that managed to get into Barnabas' system?

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:54:44 PM »
I had never really thought that through, but it is strange that Barnabas was knocked out for so long from a car accident. I'll accept the idea that the car crashed into a bed of garlic :)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 07:53:22 AM »
As per usual, I spoke too soon. Seeing Jeff Clark and Dr. Lang, especially Dr. Lang, was a real downer, I don’t like the Lang character at all, already. The thought of Barnabas as a patient in a hospital is funny to me and strange in context and to the eyes – mine anyway. I guess at this stage of the game I shouldn’t be at all surprised that Lang pegs Barn as a vampire and forces Julia to comply with his wishes concerning “our” patient. We get our first cause for concern when JClark reacts adversely to the knowledge that Vicki is Lang’s patient. This episode was not fun for me at all. I didn’t much care for it. The ending was noteworthy. Frid’s a fabulous big-time screamer – who knew?! I didn’t. It’s the best male scream I’ve ever heard. I guess we should be grateful to be spared the ’68 smoking body special effect.

Afterthought: I was doing the dishes, humming a Brenda Lee song while rerunning the episode and something came to me. For whatever reason, I was under the assumption that Vicki, while bitten, wasn’t really aware of the big picture – Barn being a vampire and all that goes with it, but when Lang was questioning her about her bite marks she got all defensive as if she knew exactly what the big picture entailed. I forget which, but in a previous episode Barn mentions (to Julia, I imagine) that his vampire ‘effect’ is different on Vicki – he may have described it as something being wrong. Another thing that came to me was that Lang tells Barn he’s been imbued with a myriad of new & experimental drugs – so now I am wondering if these drugs have anything to do with Barn not exploding in the sunlight or not needing to be in his coffin after dawn, and perhaps his not being able to dematerialize himself out of there? I feel that is the 'point' of that 'mention'. And, is Julia sharing her serum with Lang? I guess I had to be listening instead of watching to appreciate some of what this episode has to offer.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 03:56:22 PM »
I also like the "bed of garlic" hypothesis.  [easter_cheesy] [easter_cheesy] [easter_cheesy] Funny, but it had never occurred to me how completely implausible it would be for a vampire to be knocked unconscious--and for long enough for Lang to flood his system with who knows what kind of drugs. I suppose that's some weird proof that DS was so that I just completely suspended disbelief.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 05:38:17 PM »
A bit of trivia:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the first ep in which we see the picture hanging on the wall in Vicki's hospital room:

However, it sure as hell won't be the last time because it will show in numerous places from now on throughout the entire series - including in Collinwood in Parallel Time. Apparently it's very popular in Collinsport!  [easter_cheesy]

One the other hand, I believe this may be the only time we see the picture hanging on the wall in Barnabas' hospital room:

Apparently the denizens of Collinsport have specific tastes that that picture just didn't fulfill!  [easter_grin]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 06:52:43 PM »
Thanks MB, I too am interesting in those utterly irrelevant things, maybe because DS being every weekday and on videotape, it seems so fresh and spontaneous, and feels as if it just happened...  and somehow that leads me to wonder about all the backstage things causing what we see on-air.

I suppose there was a stack of wall decorations in some backstage room, and that one was always on the top of the pile, and easy to grab!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »
Julia gets a call and seems shocked. It really must be something big to shock her. Barnabas is out of it and it seems crazy, that as invulnerable as he has been portrayed, he is knocked out. Then the helpless hapless Vickie is basically fine. She awakens after dreaming of Peter screaming for Peter. It's all about Peter now. It turns out that this isn't the Peter she wanted and it's just some guy who looks like Peter, but he's just Jeff.
Barnabas is the living dead! cue really loud music.  The doctor is Eric Lange and he is loud. The clock in the credits is stopped at four o'clock. Four o'clock in the afternoon!
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 10:55:07 PM »
LOL, AD. Sometimes I picture the old time bouncing ball when he talks.