Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1066  (Read 1394 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1066
« on: September 20, 2010, 11:54:46 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1066
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 12:43:30 AM »
I guess that was James Storm doing the voiceover, and I wish it hadn't been.  When Quentin was a non-speaking ghost, David Selby never did a voiceover, and his voice was a lovely surprise when we finally heard it in episode 701.  I wonder if David Selby and James Storm compared notes about the experience of being a malevolent non-speaking ghost.

As Gerard was menacing Quentin, and as I was thinking about Selby and Storm comparing notes, I was also thinking: "This is the very same Quentin that we saw in 1897 when he was so conniving and manipulative."  It was hard to believe.  Poor Quentin, 125 years old and bereft of whatever wisdom he might have picked up during those 125 years, and apparently doomed to be insane for all eternity because of his portrait.

I felt for Barnabas in the foyer at Collinwood, after Quentin ran out the door, when Julia was falling apart.  I know what it's like to be one person dealing with two people who aren't all they should be.  And then later on, in the Old House, Julia recovered herself and was giving Barnabas encouragement, which was nice.

Did Julia attend dancing school as a child?  She doesn't seem like the sort of person who would know a minuet when she saw one.  The last time I saw this episode, I looked up the minuet on the internet, because I didn't know the steps.  Today I was hoping to notice some distinctively minuettish movements, but all I saw were some bows.  Oh, well, the internet was still in an extreme primordial stage in 1970, so we can't expect David Henesy and Kathy Cody to have known how to do the minuet.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 04:02:35 PM »
Hi, Medeival Frisbee Guy!!!

Barnabas: "Quentin, we must go in!"   Why not thwap Q on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper while you're at it?   ***  [spoiler]If that's Tad's ghost, where's David's?[/spoiler]

1995 is actually scarier when you've already seen it, or so I wrote in my notes.   Gerard is much more intimidating and brutal than Q's ghost.   He doesn't fool around.  One touch is lethal.   He'll also trick you into thinking things are okay and fairly friendly, then kill you.   Or so I wrote in my notes a few days ago.

Oooh, Quentin came very close to making a BIG mistake... trying to strangle Barnabas!!   As Q gets ready to throttle and threatens Barnabas, and actually gets his hands around the other's throat (Do this or that, "or else"), Barnabas answers very calmly and steadily, "Or WHAT?   I suggest you try to get hold of yourself!"   Supposedly Q's forgotten that Bartnabas is a vampire, but not completely...  the red alert of danger clearly just went off in his head.   That's what I took from it.   Barnabas was tacetly saying: "One, you know you can't harm me.  Two, if you try, this is going to stop being a polite, civilized conversation very fast!"   Barnabas was perhaps about one second away from retaliating.

I think the Internet was a few months old...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 06:21:04 PM »
I was also thinking: "This is the very same Quentin that we saw in 1897 when he was so conniving and manipulative."  It was hard to believe.

Though not really. He was also the very same Quentin who had cowered and sniveled with the best of them when[spoiler]Dorcas Trillings' and Tessie Kincaid's ghosts had haunted him in 1897.[/spoiler]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 01:10:35 AM »
I don't know why a nuthouse called "Stormcrest" amused me the first go around or why it still amuses me to this day. But it does. I picture a spooky old mansion on top of some hill in Collinsport overlooking the ocean on a dark and stormy night. Quentin is creeping around a corner... BOO!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 04:28:35 AM »
I don't know why a nuthouse called "Stormcrest" amused me the first go around or why it still amuses me to this day. But it does. I picture a spooky old mansion on top of some hill in Collinsport overlooking the ocean on a dark and stormy night. Quentin is creeping around a corner... BOO!

Funny, you just made me imagine "Stormcrest" riding the crest of a wave in the ocean during a storm.   Yes, it was surfing.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 08:04:33 AM »
I guess that was James Storm doing the voiceover, and I wish it hadn't been.  When Quentin was a non-speaking ghost, David Selby never did a voiceover, and his voice was a lovely surprise when we finally heard it in episode 701.

Lydia, I feel the same way about Storm's voiceover, and for the same reason.

Hi, Medeival Frisbee Guy!!!

LOL!  Magnus' "Medieval Frisbee Guy" window:

is the Queen of Coins from Natalie/Magda/Hannah's Tarot deck:

I love the idea of a stained glass window of a Tarot card, though that wouldn't be my choice for the hallway outside a children's playroom.

Has Stormcrest been mentioned by name yet?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »
And yet two more:

"...The playroom becomes a deadly trap for Julia as Gerard moves in to destroy her on Dark Shadows Monday at four, three o'clock central time on ABC..."

"...Projected into the future, to the year 1995, Barnabas and Julia try to learn more about the great fire at Collinwood and the family members who have disappeared. Watch Dark Shadows Monday afternoon..."

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »
LOL!  Magnus' "Medieval Frisbee Guy" window:
is the Queen of Coins from Natalie/Magda/Hannah's Tarot deck:

Well, that settles that!  Thanks, Midnite!   Funny how it never occured to me the figure might be female.   I have long hair so that's part of it I guess.   Well, I'll still hear "Hi!!!   Do you like my medieval frisbee?!" every time, only now she's the Queen of Frisbees.   I'm very surprised that they took one of Natalie's cards and made a huge stained glass picture out of it.   Were they focusing on it over and over so people would wonder where they'd seen it before?   Did they want to be hip amongst the tarot crowd?

Alternatively, I imagine her dancing and singing "Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal...!!"

Thanks for the historical promos, MB!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 07:26:09 AM »
Always love hearing the promo's MB! Thank you so much!

7/27/70
WB: Gordon Russell
D By: Lela Swift

I would say poor Grayson and Jonathan were wore out during this time with them carrying the weight of the show!
David Selby is excellent in this and all the eps playing the crazy male counterpart to Nancy B’s Carolyn.
Where is Julia going to get a sedative? Perhaps she has them stashed in a secret room in the Old House for emergencies?  And if so wouldn't they be outdated?   Hmm….

Did anyone notice GH and JF walk forward and then  turn around and walk in the other direction?  I guess that was to get to the next set.

I feel sorry for the teens having  to place this…they probably feel stupid. 

“Rest? There can be no rest now!” Quentin “You tell ‘em I wanna see ‘em!”  Love when that southerness comes through!
I absolutely love the scene when Hallarie lures Julia.  It's one of my favorites of the show.

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/