Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1062  (Read 2416 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1062
« on: September 14, 2010, 11:09:56 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1062
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:44:43 AM »
I just love 1995.

I'm seeing none of the usual familiar mix-and-match props here, which adds to the eerie atmosphere.

Golly did Carolyn look awful!  It was clear that there was a lot of makeup there, and I imagined Carolyn slathering it on every other morning or so.  I thought of Carolyn as we first saw her in 1966, young and silly.  It was terribly sad to see her so changed.

When Barnabas said to Julia, "Be careful," I had my usual reaction of "So what else is new?" but then he said, "Dear friend," and I thought: "He really means it.  It isn't just gratitude."  But then I thought: they're alone together in an alien time, encountering hostility everywhere.  Of course he's thinking of Julia as his dear friend - for the moment.

It seemed to me that something strange was going on with the plaques in the mausoleum.  Isn't Naomi's plaque the one on the secret panel?  I'm sure that when Julia came out of the secret room in the morning, it was Joshua's plaque there.  So either my memory is wrong or my eyes are wrong, or else somebody has been playing musical plaques.

It was fun to see Julia exuding skepticism as the Records Clerk avoided answering any and all of Julia's questions, and it made a nice contrast to her demeanor with Barnabas inside the mausoleum.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 03:21:34 AM »
The new Collinwood shots have started, beginning with the last PT ep.   They could hardly have shown the same old one with lights burning.   ***   Nancy Barrett's always good.   Like Marie Wallace and Roger Davis, she must enjoy the crazy roles.   ***   Who's the plain-talkin' galoot's wife "Jean"?   Her picture looks like an 8x10 glossy of a professional actress whom we never see.

The big oval light bulb lamp in the closing credits might be the one and only trace of anything "futuristic".    I'm glad we at least got that.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 03:20:31 PM »
The big oval light bulb lamp in the closing credits might be the one and only trace of anything "futuristic".    I'm glad we at least got that.

Wasn't that far out? If you shopped at Spencer Gift in those days, you could find all kinds of bizarre lighting fixtures. I had a few myself. But I never saw anything quite like the oval lamp. That was way cool and brought back several bizarre memories.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 06:43:49 PM »
I always walked around in Spencer Gifts but never bought.   If I'd ever had a chance to be well and on my own, I'd have had one crazy apartment.

I'm glad to see you, Janet.  I was about to ask what happened to you.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 08:48:56 PM »
Both extras (the records clerk and the trespasser) had roles during Leviathans-- as Art Professor and zombie respectively.  And the Collinsport Inn set was recycled to house the Dept. of Records.

I just love 1995.
Me too.  [ghost_happy]

Golly did Carolyn look awful!  It was clear that there was a lot of makeup there, and I imagined Carolyn slathering it on every other morning or so.  I thought of Carolyn as we first saw her in 1966, young and silly.  It was terribly sad to see her so changed.
In his DS Video Reviews, David Hofstede wrote that Nancy Barrett should sue "since she looks a lot better than the makeup people predicted."  I suppose they meant for her character to have been through hell and back, but still...

The big oval light bulb lamp in the closing credits might be the one and only trace of anything "futuristic".    I'm glad we at least got that.
Yes, but it still doesn't make up for Stokes' hearing aid, which was obsolete by 1971.  Ugh!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 09:03:57 PM »
Oops, I meant to respond that your memory and eyes are fine, Lydia-- Naomi's plaque used to be under the lion's head and Joshua's was on its left.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 10:19:24 PM »
Phew!  Thanks, Midnite!

In his DS Video Reviews, David Hofstede wrote that Nancy Barrett should sue "since she looks a lot better than the makeup people predicted."  I suppose they meant for her character to have been through hell and back, but still...
It seemed to me that she looked better in the subsequent three episodes that I've watched since this one.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 10:41:18 PM »
Yes, but it still doesn't make up for Stokes' hearing aid, which was obsolete by 1971.  Ugh!

That's a glaring faux pas?  I didn't know they were obsolete now.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 12:50:17 AM »
I meant the one Stokes wore, which had separate components attached by a long wire.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 06:44:15 AM »
I meant the one Stokes wore, which had separate components attached by a long wire.

Me too, I guess.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 05:42:42 PM »
If you don't think Stokes' device looks old-fashioned now, then that's good because all I can think when I see it is how silly it is that they didn't consider that medical technology would advance in 25 years.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 11:58:45 PM »
Stokes uses a monocle in the 1960s, so I'm thinking that the old-fashioned hearing aid in 1995 may be another deliberate affectation on his part.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 12:50:12 AM »
I'm glad to see you, Janet.  I was about to ask what happened to you.

Two things: Been putting in a lot of OT at work and I couldn't bring myself to watch that chick with the cones.

I probably won't be around for the Daphne/Gerard plot discussions. Not one of my faves.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 08:39:01 AM »
Two things: Been putting in a lot of OT at work and I couldn't bring myself to watch that chick with the cones.

I probably won't be around for the Daphne/Gerard plot discussions. Not one of my faves.

1- Roxanne?   2- Aw.  1970 sure, but you're staying out for 1840?   I hope you change your mind.