Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0925  (Read 1080 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0925
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0925
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 02:12:02 PM »
Gosh, how I love the twistedness that keeps slithering into the Leviathan storyline.

Once again somebody claims to have searched the entire great house of Collinwood in the wink of an eye.  Roger knows of at least one of the secret panels, the one in the drawing room.  Did he check out the area behind of it?  And does that area connect with the area accessed by the secret panel in Maggie's room?  As Maggie wandered around in circles, I was thinking that Vicky wouldn't have gotten lost, but  I daresay Michael would have found some other way to torment her.

Why is the Leviathan box left out in the open in the antique shop?  If a shoplifter walked out with it, what would happen to him?  And if Megan opened it up and shoved it in Philip's face, would all his doubts about the Leviathan cause vanish?  Also, on a more mundane level, did Philip have get any supper before going to bed at 9:30 or 10:00?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 03:33:11 AM »
At the beginning of this, with Maggie being tormented, I had "Every Breath You Take" going through my head....   She calls out to David to ask if he's doing all this... you mean hyperventilating into a loudspeaker?   David does that?

Ooooh, Megan's back, looking as good as I've ever seen her.   Just her first few small, angry movements as she walked away from the window really got me.   I had to rewind.   Meg's mad at Philip for having been away too long.  Well, then I guess I should be mad at the two of them for staying away from DS for so long, though Philip could stay away a little longer so Meg and I can get acquainted further.

It's really interesting seeing the Todds struggle internally with their contradictory and irreconcilable priorities.   I don't think I've ever caught how good this stuff is before.   I love the conversation where Meg's getting more and more furious and vindictive with Philip.  Great extreme close-up of her face as she struggles with whether to utter the next few words she's been leading up to, which can only be "I'll kill you!"   She didn't say it, but came so close...

The loosening of the Leviathans' control doesn't just seem like a clumsy anti-climax to me this time.  It makes perfect sense, and is inevitable.   The Leviathans can't use automatons; they need their slaves' brains intact so that they can solve problems, and simulate normal behavior to avoid suspicion.   The Todds can't look after the child properly without their reason.   Original creative thought is required.   Total programming, loss of will, would make this impossible.   They'd be like very simple robots, following rules and unable to improvise.

Philip's reason must be free to function, but it leads to his perceiving the illogic of bits of the plan [spoiler](then the whole plan),[/spoiler] to start with, and sometimes he even has to look at the immorality, out the corner of his eye.   Then he rushes head on into the mental brick wall of Leviathan control.   As President Bartlet of The West Wing once said, "Cognitive dissonance, anyone?"

The Todds are meant to play traditional family roles, as mother and father to the child, to raise and protect him.   Philip is practical, Megan dishes out the unconditional love.   Superimposing all this over an evil plot to destroy the world as we know it is, of course, utterly perverse, but also self-defeating.   Mother and father are forced to try to kill each other periodically to pursue their roles.  

The Todds are sleepwalkers, fighting both to wake up and not wake up.

I instantly LOLed the second Roger walked into Collinwood.   With all that's happening, for the millionth time he walks into the place like Ward Cleaver!   It was a Pythonesque moment for me.

Is that blue vase there just to be broken?  Guess not.

I really enjoy the storyline, suddenly.   Maybe there just needed to be enough plot elements intertwining to get me interested.

Megan's turtleneck needs to be at least one size smaller.  No reason.    I am to Megan as Taeylor is to Quentin.   We should double-date.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 03:04:34 PM »
Meagan's top needs to be a little smaller sized! NO reason?  Uh huh! ;)

LOL Magnus about the whole Quentin and Megan thing.  I think Megan (Marie) is gorgeous as well. I am just not attracted to the ladies but appreciate women and all the lovely qualites they have.

I will be posting my thoughts later today!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:44:44 PM »
Maggie demonstrates the perils of very short 70s hemlines as she bangs frantically on the secret panel door, lifting her green Junior Sophisticates dress and exposing her bum.

Lydia, I'm assuming that the maze of pathways in and beneath Collinwood probably do connect up.  If I were searching a big house for a young and healthy someone, I'd probably stop short of searching every nook and cranny and locked door, not to mention "secret" areas.

When Michael had his hissy fit, you could see that the flip side of the made-up "Wall Street" was a red and black backgammon board, which would have made it valuable today to a collector of vintage {sob!} game boards had they not glued a picture to one side of it.

Why is the Leviathan box left out in the open in the antique shop?
With the key sticking out of it!

If a shoplifter walked out with it, what would happen to him?
Maybe shoplifting has been kept to a minimum by the loaded gun that a proprietor keeps in her desk?

And if Megan opened it up and shoved it in Philip's face, would all his doubts about the Leviathan cause vanish?
Hmm, I think Philip probably has too many doubts and concerns at this point for that to work.  Apparently Michael can hypnotize with a stroke of his hand, same as Barnabas, but I'm guessing that would only work on highly susceptible subjects, such as children (Amy) and the very gung ho (Megan).  But Michael has already made his mind up that he wants Philip dead anyway.

At the beginning of this, with Maggie being tormented, I had "Every Breath You Take" going through my head....   She calls out to David to ask if he's doing all this... you mean hyperventilating into a loudspeaker?   David does that?
LOL  The voiceover called the sound "unnnatural," but it feels plausible for Maggie to first suspect it's a prank by the one kid she knows is in the house with her.

I'm with Magnus that the Todds' conflicts make for great stuff!!

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 11:44:03 PM »
This show made me think of Victoria Winters, being locked in rooms.

Michael is making enemies, he does act like a spoiled child.

In many ways I think he is the one that is really the beginning of the end.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 08:34:57 AM »
I decided this time around that the Michael period is the good period for the Leviathans storyline, so enjoy it while you can...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor