Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0588  (Read 776 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0588
« on: November 14, 2013, 05:36:09 PM »
Robservations #588

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0588

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 04:18:43 PM »
At the mausoleum, Maggie’s flashbacks continue (recreated in color, as in the previous episode). 

Carolyn is wearing a beautiful royal blue brocaded velvet dress when Nicholas arrives to hypnotize her into being the subject of the experiment. I remember feeling slightly hypnotized myself!

Willie returns to the mausoleum to take Maggie home, but she stops him cold when she asks, Who was Josette? He listens in horror as she recounts events at the Old House exactly as they happened, up to and including Barnabas's bringing her to the mausoleum to teach her a lesson. He goes to close the door to the secret room, but while his back is turned, Maggie makes a run for the door. He easily grabs her and bites her throat (an especially scary bite). Then he locks her in the coffin.

Back in the present, Willie is horrified when Maggie screams, I remember everything! I know! I know what Barnabas Collins is!...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »
This episode is a sort of encapsulated version of the 1967 Barn-Mag storyline, and I wonder if this flashback cemented in people's heads at the time that Barnabas and Josette were the classic "spiritual" core of DS from then on.   I mean, a lot of viewers weren't there in 1967, and it might have had a big impact, throwing it at them in concentrated form like this.   This was the explanation of who and what Barnabas was, for those viewers (except that we still need to hear the word "vampire", but maybe they want newer viewers to wonder and guess, then spring the word on them).
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Ronny G

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas Bites Best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:33:14 PM »
I thought this episode was a clever way to show new viewers what they missed in the past because there were no soap re-runs back then (or VCRs!).
I love how Carolyn gracefully glides down the stairs.
The scene between Carolyn and Nicolas was properly creepy and effective.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 06:41:23 AM »
I have a hard time believing that Maggie does not know who Josette is due to her friendships and her living in the town for years.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 06:57:38 AM »
I think she even discussed Josette with someone a couple episodes earlier.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor