Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0544  (Read 781 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0544
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:42:15 PM »
Robservations #544

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0544

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »
Nicholas opens the front door when Stokes arrives at the Great House, but open war hasn't yet been declared. Nicholas takes Stokes by surprise (temporarily), asking if Stokes knows someone named Adam. But Stokes quickly recovers and replies blandly, I once knew a man by that name--a missionary married to a woman named Eve. They lacked humor, he continues, and a humorless man is an incomplete one.

Carolyn tells Stokes about her growing discomfort over Adam. Stokes is alarmed when she mentions having to bribe Harry and is completely at a loss when Carolyn tells him that Adam is falling in love with her. But he tells her that his house is too dangerous to keep Adam there.

Stokes and Adam have a nice reunion, even though Adam is disappointed that he can't go "home" with the professor.

n coming downstairs, Stokes finds Julia. As usual, she asks, Do you know where Adam is? As he sits at a table in the drawing room where a chessboard has been set up, Stokes replies, Before I tell you where Adam is, I want more information about him from you. First of all, What did Barnabas Collins actual dream as the intended victim of the dream curse? What was the point of return? Julia can tell him safely, The point of return was the Old House. She adds, I found him lying just outside the front door, dead--apparently of a heart attack. Not much escapes Stokes’s notice. He comments, I know you failed to report Barnabas's death to the police as you should have done. I suspect you were following Barnabas's own orders--that he wanted to be buried in an unmarked grave in the woods because he was afraid the dream curse would bring him a horrible or perhaps shameful death. Julia has all she can do to hide her reaction to Stokes’s shrewd guesses. Stokes continues, I also know that Adam's appearing to suffocate in the root cellar was more than just a wild coincidence. What is the connection between Adam and Barnabas? I’ve told you all I can, Julia protests, but it’s nowhere near enough for Stokes. Then I’m afraid I can’t help you, he answers bluntly. In fact Stokes leaves her with a few more things to ponder: I know that Adam was artificially created from body parts by Eric Lang, that Barnabas is somehow responsible for Adam’s creation, and that Barnabas did something that has caused Adam to hate him. (He learned most of this from Jeff Clark when he was under hypnosis and guessed the rest.) Then he calmly departs, leaving Julia shocked speechless (although he still is ignorant of the true nature of said connection).

Frontal nudity! Nicholas summons the ghosts of two men whose bodies were descretated to create Adam.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »
How evil can Nick be, if he's willing to come downstairs and answer the front door for the Collinses?  I liked the cryptic ironic banter between him and Stokes.   "A humorless man is an incomplete man."   Good line, I bet he came up with it... though this and the next episode are smarter than these ep's usually are (in 1968).   Elliot grills Julia, asking all the questions about the insanity lately that need to be asked, and he makes interesting guesses.  I like how we're witnessing the gears in his head moving, as he ventures that Barnabas must have an affliction that's somehow shameful for him, or gruesome.

The two corpse-ghosts are the first genuinely creepy thing in this storyline.   I wonder if Barnabas feels strange in the head and right arm, too.   Nick doesn't completely control these two organ-donor ghosts.   They don't stay long.   The "gazebo" really shouldn't have that particular view of Collinwood, not sure why I'm certain of that.  But I always picture the Old House and every other place on the estate as being to the right, as you go out Collinwood's door.   Well, we're looking at its back side, I guess... but I never pictured a huge lawn betweeen C'wood and the gazebo.

I guess everyone who donates her/his organs after death is going to produce a mutilated ghost, who's really mad at himself.   Nick lucked out when Adam's hiding place turned out to be within pointing distance, since they didn't or couldn't speak.

Anyone know who wrote this one?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 08:20:01 PM »
Stokes reveals he feels sorry for Adam and to Julia he says he knows Adam was man Made.  What clued him in? The sewn together body parts?  Nick learns that Adam is at the Great House of Collinwood from the men with missing parts. I keep wondering  how Adam got matching hands when they apparently came from two separate bodies. Maybe dead twins.  It was a Gordon Russell episode or at least he gets credit for it.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »
Thanks.  Stokes hypnotized Jeff, who met Adam and identified him as a product of Lang's experiment.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 03:27:26 AM »
Seeing Adam and hearing him described as a strange creature comes across as odd to me at this point in time. And I think the word 'strange' is the more disconcerting of the two.

Stokes & Blair: Good writing but the acting fell a little flat IMO. I think this is the second time (if not more) we are to associate a warning of 'loss of self control' with Nicholas and I have to wonder if his fate has already been sealed by the writers. Seeing Stokes wearing black gloves made me think of Petofi.

Stokes & Carolyn: Well done. What an unlikely alliance their pairing is. Can Carolyn be considered a complex character? I'm asking because she can be so smart and so stupid, so kind and so spiteful, so irrational and so composed. I had to chuckle when Stokes says "You must be joking!" when she suggests that Adam is falling in love with her. Carolyn's hair is back under control, lol.

Stokes & Adam & Carolyn: Very well done. Acting & writing, each superbly executed by all involved parties.

Stokes & Julia: Arguably, the juiciest scene in the episode, chuck full of great lines and pertinent character statements. It all came together wonderfully. Julia's outfit was ghastly. Though the grays looked look on her as a color. And the more I see it the less appalling it becomes.

Nicholas & Ghosts & Adam & Carolyn: Sufficient. Always fun seeing Nicholas conjure. Lol at Magnus' take on the scene. And I will admit that it was a creative way to have Nick find out where Adam is. I like the line - "If you are to know any rest in death only I can find it for you in the artificial life that is the sum of all of you." The Adam & Carolyn part of it was very good.

Thayer was channeling Bette Davis again, especially in the scene with Adam, lol. Loved it.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 01:35:21 PM »
Carolyn does seem to be contradictory like that, dom, but it all hangs together as one single personality, somehow.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 06:53:53 PM »
I'd forgotten about Stokes hypnotizing Jeff.