Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0535  (Read 758 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0535
« on: August 31, 2013, 03:46:02 PM »
Robservations #535

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0535

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 08:50:31 PM »
I can hardly get over how 'right' it seems that all the supernaturalness is out in the open. I love it.

The two mortal women that have the greatest affection for Barnabas are fighting tooth and nail to save him. I'm digging that too.

Barn forces Vicki to tell him the dream. The whole scene between them in the drawing room of the Great House is fantastic. It has but one hokey moment.

Julia slaps Cass/Ange in a moment of climactic disgust. A favorite fan moment.

Barn dreams the dream, met by Cassandra not Angelique. He wakes from the dream before being bit by a bat, not, as I expected. But it makes sense because Barn is living now, so he must become a vampire here and now. There's a knock at the door, Barn opens it, and gets bit by a bat and the scene ends with Barn writhing on the floor of Old House porch and Angelique's taunting laughter.

No big complaints for this episode. Julia should have heard the knock on the door and come back to make sure Barn would be okay and of course the bat was low budget but both are standard fare for DS. I don't recall any particularly bad acting. I am beginning to wonder if Frid's wearing a hairpiece as Barnabas. I'm pretty sure Parker had on a new outfit as Cass, and everyone looked pretty good today.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 07:54:50 AM »
Present-day Barnabas always combs his hair in that particular way men do when they are bringing hair from further back on the head forward, to cover a receding hairline.   So, not a hairpiece I think.

Vicki comes right up to the cliff edge, apparently figuring out that "original" Barnabas couldn't have sired descendants, because he died too early and in Collinsport, so present Barnabas... what?   At most, she may have concluded that there is only one Barnabas, but not how such a thing could have happened.

SLAP.   This was a great moment of emotional focus, where all the improbable events and fretting the characters (and we the viewers) get lost in daily get swept away for a moment, and we zero in on what really matters:  what an awful thing Ang is doing.   How dare she.   Things get real for that one moment.

If the bat was coming in reality, the whole Dream thing seems a bit unnecessary.   I suppose it was programmed into the Dream Curse, not something Ang decided to do after the last dream was over...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »
Barn finally reaches his "point of return."

Vicki tells Barn the dream. I think this is the first time he uses his compelling gaze on someone, and even though he is no longer a vampire (for the moment), it works on Vicki.

Barnabas tells her, The evil that has plagued Collinwood will be over when you tell me the dream. I am the one Cassandra wants, he admits. Naturally she asks, Why? What does she have against you? He’s stumped for a second, then repeats the original explanation that he gave when he first presented himself at Collinwood: I am a direct descendant of the “original” Barnabas Collins. I suppose that all who bear that name must bear the same fate. Vicki recalls, The Collins Family History said that the “original” Barnabas went to England, but that isn’t true. He stayed in Collinsport and died soon after marrying Angelique. He died in the Old House, she continues wildly, and that’s what the last line of the riddle means! [In her distracted state, Vicki does not realize that if what he says is true, then the “original” Barnabas--who had no children--cannot be his ancestor.] One door leads to the point of return, she quotes. Thoroughly alarmed, Barnabas immediately asks, Return to what? Return to death! Vicki answers, horrified. Something worse than death, Barnabas mutters, remembering his own private horror. What do you mean? Vicki asks with concern. Nothing, he replies. He continues, I can’t bear for you to keep having the dream over and over, until you are no longer yourself. Looking into her eyes, he finally declares himself with these fatal words: I've loved very few things in the course of my lifetime. But Vicki, I love you. I will go to my grave before I will see your life destroyed. Vicki can’t resist his compelling gaze as he steers her toward the couch, sits her down, and commands her, Tell me the dream--from the beginning.

A lone dog howls as the sun sets over the Old House. We see Barnabas take a little red pill just before Julia arrives with her medical bag. You look calm, she observes. He replies, I want to go quietly and with some measure of dignity. Let me give you something to keep you awake, Julia says. You’re too late, he replies. I’ve just taken a sleeping pill. Whatever is going to happen to me, I want it over with quickly. Barnabas settles himself in one of the chairs by the fireplace. [We never do see the room where he sleeps as a human man!] He tells Julia, The pill is already taking effect, so you must listen carefully. I have already instructed Willie in what to do, and you must help him. I know I will revert. You must drive the stake into my heart immediately. When Julia protests, he reminds her, My existence was a living hell: alive by night, dead by day. Promise me. Very reluctantly Julia agrees. Barnabas thanks her and quickly falls asleep. The faithful Julia sits nearby to watch over him.

Oh, and of course, The Slap. One of the great moments of fandom!

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:07:05 PM »
Nice slap! I keep wondering why Cassandra doesn't eliminate Julia.  She ruthlessly killed off everyone before and has now mellowed? Barnabas asks Julia to kill him if he reverts forgetting the Woodard incident. Barnabas thinks he survived the dream and then the bat comes.  It would be interesting if Vickie realized that the Barnabas Collins' are the same and just accepted it.  Carolyn has seemed to do that with her knowledge of his being a vampire.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »
Julia is alive only because Barnabas does not love her. By this time, he respects her medical skill, at least some of the time. He knows that she cares for him, but the feeling is not mutual, so she is in no danger.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:12 AM »
I forget if this is from the next episode, but Ang is definitely interested in whether Julia loves him, and wonders I think whether she needs to do anything about Julia.

Carolyn must not remember Barnabas is a vampire, same with Vicki.   Both were bitten, both knew long before this.   They both seem to have "normalized" and moderated their memories, remembering events that have happened, but somehow downplaying the supernatural element... "looking the other way" in their thoughts.   Carolyn reframed her time as a slave to Barnabas as having been a matter of letting Barnabas's problems take up too much of her time.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor