Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0534  (Read 832 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0534
« on: August 30, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »
Robservations #534

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0534

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:54:35 PM »
Wonderful letter crafted by Blair. I hope the rest of the episode is as well written.

Vicki is in purple, I wonder if this is the black dress I thought I saw yesterday. She looks facially fabulous.

Barn & Vicki: Barn's bangs are very human today. Julia tries to keep Barn & Vicki apart - loved the way she charged the landing and down the stairs in to the foyer. Who'd've thought Vicki would be the strongest one regarding the dream. I'm so ashamed for swallowing all the crap I've heard about this show. I'm so glad I am taking the time to really watch it and see it for what it really is.

Carolyn is all hair, smarter than the police but stupid as ever and headed for trouble. Rodan's hands are as big as Barrett's head. Good lord, no wonder why he was hired. Is it Carolyn's job to humanize Adam for the audience? The music suggests so.

Barn & Jules: Nice scene. Not well done unfortunately. I like the context. Hero Barn is back for the moment.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 12:15:17 AM »
A clumsy edit as Barnabas picks up the letter.   The letter itself sounded reflective and genuine, not like the fake it was supposed to be.   Good for Carolyn, finding and helping Adam.   Barnabas's spikes are all in disarray; I guess that's how he registers stress.

Dom, it sounds as if you're wrestling with something I often have in recent years-- whether a show that's important to you, a formative experience growing up, may not really have been what you thought it was, sort of retroactively pulling the rug out from under those great experiences and seeming to invalidate them, if I'm making sense.   All I can say is that it's been a sort of ongoing, troubling matter for me.  I'm less bothered by this during this storyline, because I have few if any specific memories of 1968.   Anyway, I do put a certain amount of mental effort into re-validating DS and other shows.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:32:44 PM »
The opening voice-over says that Vicki doesn’t want to tell Barnabas the dream because she is afraid it will reinstate a two-hundred-year-old curse. But Vicki doesn’t know about the curse!

We get a glimpse of the old Vicki as she bravely defies the dream curse, even though she is constantly tormented by it, in order to spare Barnabas.

I agree, MT--Nicholas's bogus letter sounds almost too good. We can see the dawning horror on Barnabas's face as he reads it to the end. For once he does the sensible thing and rushes to Collinwood, where Vicki assures him that she never wrote the letter. Julia arrives and fears the worst, but Vicki assures her she hasn't told Barn anything. Barn explains about the note, which implied that Vicki would kill herself before telling him the dream. Julia urges him to leave, but he won’t go till she promises to take “good care” of Vicki. After he leaves, she turns her eyes heavenward, miserable and overwhelmed with emotions she can never express.

Meanwhile, Carolyn visits Adam at the root cellar and finds out that he knows a lot of new words, including "police" and "hair" (with a catch in his voice as he gently touches her shining poll). But Adam reverts to third person in his distress at disappointing Stokes. Carolyn tells him that he has to learn to say "I" and promises to come back. Eventually he decides he trusts her and even politely opens the door.

Barn and Julia end up arguing about the dream curse. Barn is overflowing with admiration at Vicki's courage. Unlike whoever wrote the opening voiceover, Julia correctly points out that Vicki doesn't know what Barnabas will become if he has the dream. Barn eventually tells Julia about his offer to Cassangelique. As Julia listens, horrified, he continues, I asked her to release Vicki from the dream’s effects. In return for _what_? Julia demands, even though she already knows the answer. Sure enough, Barnabas replies, I was willing to admit defeat and restore our relationship of long ago. I can’t believe you were series! Julia bursts out. Barnabas replies, I told Cassandra I would wait for her answer, but no answer came. If Cassandra is not willing to respond to that, she will respond to nothing. There’s no way of stopping her. I can no longer bear to think of what Vicki is going through for me. I must put a stop to it. Julia tries one last time. Please, she begs him, think of what you’ll become! Barnabas answers firmly, I have thought about it--and I am prepared to accept it. He leaves for Collinwood, with Julia gazing after him in despair.

Dom, I do like your new attitude, and I'm glad you can take the show as it is.. I never watched DS as a teenager, so it was all new to me when I first saw it (well into adulthood) in the 1980s. Sure, plenty of things made me roll my eyes or even want to laugh. But most of the performances most of the time were very good, and there were plenty of moments that were actually quite powerful. There's nothing I love better than a good, character-driven story, well told, and DS delivered that enough of the time that I was (and still am) willing to overlook all the shortcomings.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 06:40:17 PM »
One more thing: Barnabas tells Julia that it’s in Vicki's nature to love and not destroy. Unknowingly, Barnabas shows how he’s changed when he says, There must be something in my nature that’s like that too, that is worthy of what she’s doing for me--and that’s why I cannot let it go on.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 08:03:05 AM »
That kind of thing is what starts to bring Barnabas up out of the dark, probably.  We sometimes need to be given a reason to think of ourselves as worthwhile.   Then we want to live up to that.  Barnabas at this point is still very much not an admirable or even tolerable character (for me).   [spoiler]I'm starting to think it was only his having to live through being a vampire again in 1897 that gave him a real conscience, as he had to wrestle to hang onto it, against the pressure from his vampire nature to cast it aside.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 03:33:34 PM »
I like your comments and especially your spoiler, MT. Thoughtful, as always.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 04:54:58 PM »
The drawing room looks very warm and inviting in this episode. I'm not sure if it is better lighting or a better film.  Barnabas does not question the letter could be fake when he knows  Cassandra  is  plotting against him.
Julia's suit has an interesting texture and she looks well styled today. Carolyn goes to find Adam. He is eating grass in the old cellar.  The police had not thought to look there? When there was so much talk of his childlike behavior in the past. I can't quite buy Carolyn's interest in Adam
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 11:00:39 AM »
Thanks very much, DL.  AD, Carolyn's umbrage at not being told about Adam's survival seems forced, but once she knows, I think it was a very cool and admirable thing for her to seek him out and try to help him.   I'd like to think any of us would do the same thing.