Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0506  (Read 763 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0506
« on: July 23, 2013, 05:50:02 AM »
Robservations #506

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0506

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 06:21:19 AM »
Barnabas gives away [spoiler]Adam's survival by letting us know he knows Adam survived, because of his "intuition", which we take to come from their link even though Barnabas doesn't know it's from that.   On DS, intuition and premonitions are real.   This destroys the tension.  We're supposed to wonder if Barnabas is about to revert, or already has.[/spoiler]  I like the beach set.   Mr. Frid yells "ADAM!!!" as if he really is calling out over a huge distance.   It must be hard for Barnabas to be at that spot where Josette fell.

Now it's an abandoned root cellar (?) at the _______ Farm, couldn't catch the name.

ECS/Carolyn scene:  a jump-cut while Carolyn's talking.   Go Willie Go!!!   (Climbing the wall of
Collinwood)   I love Willie's problem-solving choices.... (I just finished listening to a novel about people who climb buildings and travel over the rooftops of London as a hobby.)   His way of decreasing tension is to lean his face in toward the other person, getting in her face, and thrusting his hands out in front of him... all the wrong things!   Willie doesn't know any better than Adam does, and Carolyn gets to experience both in one night.   The Adam experience makes her a lot more willing to try to see Willie's side, after he leaves.

Willie just barely started to tell Carolyn the dream before he was stopped.  Yet Carolyn has it...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 04:32:00 PM »
Barnabas orders Willie to keep looking for Adam and leave Carolyn alone, because she's already had quite an ordeal. But what about what I'M going through? Willie complains. I’d even rather go back to Windcliff than have that dream again. He insists that Barnabas has no idea how alone and tormented he feels (my words, not Willie's of course). Barnabas pauses to reply quietly, Actually I do. But he does not elaborate. Instead he hypothesizes, Adam may have gone back to the cellar at the burned-out old Taylor Farm. I want you to go look for him there. Willie trundles off but then smiles as an idea occurs to him.

So many Collinses have returned home after dreadful misadventures that Mrs. Johnson has developed a standard "survivor's menu": a pretty measly-looking sandwich and in Carolyn's case, a cup of tea, as opposed to milk for David. (Actually, it reminds me of the scene in Annie Hall where the Woody Allen character has a very skimpy WASP dinner with Annie's parents!) Carolyn's experiences seem to have awakened real sympathy for Adam, even though she doesn't know the half of his very short life story.

The scene with Carolyn and Willie (JK does his own climbing too!) is hilarious. She bites down hard on his hand, and between his howls of pain and her screaming, they make quite a racket. Elizabeth rushes in, and Willie escapes the same way he came in. Elizabeth promises that she'll have Barn send Willie right back to Windcliff. She comforts Carolyn, but now Carolyn is afraid to go to sleep. And this young woman--who has chosen to have no other occupation but to get ready for dates--once more exercises some remarkable powers of observation. She comments, Willie risked a lot to tell me the dream. I think it must be really horrible. Even knowing just a little about it, I’m afraid that if I have the dream, I'll die! And “die” is as good a last word as any for the end of a DS ep....

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:34:12 PM »
Once again subjected to the horror of Powell. Barnabas fels Adam is alive though the sheriff has written him off. Not the sheriff of Bill Malloy days. Fade to black too soon then return to scene. Noticeable cut in Elizabeth and Caro scene.  Willie scales the wall of Collinwood like Romeo to see Juliet.  Elizabeth out on a walk hears Caro scream from outside.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 04:23:18 AM »
We get treated to the waves again.

Willie and Barn - LOL. Willie is a ninny today. And Barn is too normal for comfort. They were like a bickering married couple. I really enjoyed Karlen today.

All I could think of was Quentin & Amanda's cave while looking at the cliff bottom of Widow's Hill

Seeing Liz with her hair down is fun. The whole Carolyn/Liz scene was a bit absurd. Especially when Liz tells Carolyn she is safe as can be after having just chased Willie out of the room. As usual Carolyn heads down a fool's path. We can see where she is going with her reaction to her previous circumstances with Adam. It does warrant an eyeroll from this viewer.

Magnus, you'd think the writers would have Barn make some show of emotion regarding being at the spot where Josette died and now possibly Adam. Very insightful - it was totally lost on me.

Carolyn is too sympathetic regarding her tormentors, she should have been that kind to her boyfriends.

And the dream plays on...or does it?

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 02:13:37 PM »
I believe Carolyn has fallen victim to Stockholm Syndrome--although I don't think the incident that gave the syndrome its name had happened yet.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 03:24:27 AM »
Actually, I was proud of Carolyn for going out of her way to see the possible good in Adam and Willie, and in fact she was right to do so.   Adam didn't understand enough yet to realize what he was doing, and Willie didn't have any bad intentions either.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor