Author Topic: UK release of DS (original series)  (Read 789 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
UK release of DS (original series)
« on: May 03, 2012, 06:15:41 AM »
Interesting to see that an official UK issue of DS has finally happened.  A 3 disc set was released on April 30.  I have no idea whether further discs will be issued.  The series has already received a glowing review from a knowledgeable fan on Amazon UK.  It will be interesting to see a review of this specific release:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Shadows-Original-Barnabas-Episodes/dp/B0077NF7AQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1336021777&sr=1-1

A number of vintage UK series from the 1960s and 1970s have been released in the past few years that have production values and styles similar to DS, so I could really see it taking off in the UK, provided it is marketed properly.

G.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: UK release of DS (original series)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 06:58:13 AM »
Very cool. Doesn't say how many episodes are included. 3 discs total, one for supplements, I wonder if they crammed 40 episodes onto 2 discs. £17.57 = $28.44, pretty pricey for 20 episodes.

Huggermugger's review describes DS as "a complete unknown in the UK." Obviously they don't mean that literally, but it makes me wonder just how familiar or unfamiliar Brits are with DS. Anybody know?  Considering the styles and popularity of 1960s and 70s British horror films, and Doctor Who, I'd figure they'd be crazy for it. 
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
I read somewhere on Amazon, it might have been in the reviews, that there are 20 episodes, plus a bonus disk. The 3rd one has material already released in the US.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:58:59 PM »
I believe it was shown on UK Sci Fi at some point in the 1990s.  In one of Nancy Barrett's cabaret performances, she did some patter about being in London and how DS was on at 3 a.m. to accommodate the viewing habits of the vampires!

I wonder whether house or Night of DS were released in the UK.  I was just thinking about it and realized I have seen promotional materials for the films for a number of countries, but none for the UK.

G.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 05:05:29 PM »
DS definately ran on Sci-Fi UK, but I believe the run was brief. If I'm remembering correctly, there was an editorial decision regarding televising shows that were not science fiction. I'm relying heavily on an increasngly flawed memory, so don't quote me.

I'm also fairly certain I've seen UK promo materials for HODS at least. Again, I won't state that as a fact.