Author Topic: Ground Zero Pic  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Minja

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Ground Zero Pic
« on: September 11, 2003, 06:49:17 PM »
Here's a picture I took of Ground Zero when I was there for the recent DS Fest.  (See Reply #2)  Under the heart is written....

"The human spirit is not measured,
by the size of the act,
but by the size of the heart."

Amen
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Online Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Ground Zero Pic
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2003, 11:33:23 PM »
Hello, Minja what a beautiful and touching words.
                 GOD BLESS THE USA FOREVER.
                          Love Anne ;) :-*

Signature edited by Midnite
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2003, 11:45:57 PM »
Minja's photo:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Minja

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 01:49:47 AM »

Thanks Midnite for fixing things for me.  I still have a long way to go to do this techno stuff right. ;)

I just finished watching an HBO documentary about the events of 9-11 in NYC.  It was even more heart wrenching this time around since I was just in NY for the fest.  It was surreal, seeing streets I was on Aug. 27-28, being covered in debris and ashes just 2 years ago.  The now, first hand familiar buildings, street signs, parks, my heart froze as I saw them in a different light.

On Friday, Aug. 28th, Bobubas, Mary and I were walking with the DS tour group towards the Brooklyn Bridge and we stopped to chat with some of the NYPD who were standing near some saw horses. They had asked about our group, who we were etc. and Bob, gregarious as always, told them about the DS fest.  The policemen were genuinely glad we had come from all over the country to visit NY.  They wished us a good visit as we went to catch up with the group.  Very hospitable and fine ambassadors for their city.

On this day I encourage everyone to set aside some time to reflect in their own way on the heroes (men like these friendly policemen), firemen and civilians who paid the ultimate price on that day.  And the families who lost loved ones on the ground and in the airplanes.  And while all of us may or may not agree on the course of action taken since then, remember those brave victims of 9-11 and say NEVER AGAIN! 

Always, Minja
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
OT -- Attachments
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 05:14:55 AM »
Thanks Midnite for fixing things for me.  I still have a long way to go to do this techno stuff right. ;)

You're welcome.  You easily picked up uploading images, btw, but a simple suggestion will help members with no website experience, methinks...  Just open the image on your own computer before you try to attach it to your post.  First off, if it won't open in any program there then it won't show up here.  Secondly, how it looks in 100% magnification on your system is how it will appear in your post, so do whatever it takes to make the image look the way you want-- crop it, resize it, rename it, whatever-- before attaching it to a post.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 08:18:20 AM »
Minja,
  That was so very touching and I thank you for sharing this with us.  This really hits home for me being so close by and I can still remember seeing all the smoke rising above the Hudson river while I stood watching in horror up on a high area in Yonkers. That image will remain in my mind forever.

On this day I encourage everyone to set aside some time to reflect in their own way on the heroes (men like these friendly policemen), firemen and civilians who paid the ultimate price on that day.  And the families who lost loved ones on the ground and in the airplanes.  And while all of us may or may not agree on the course of action taken since then, remember those brave victims of 9-11 and say NEVER AGAIN! 

Amen to that!!!
You said it so nicely Minja!

Cassandra

"Calamity Jane"

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2003, 03:01:06 PM »
On Friday, Aug. 28th, Bobubas, Mary and I were walking with the DS tour group towards the Brooklyn Bridge and we stopped to chat with some of the NYPD who were standing near some saw horses. They had asked about our group, who we were etc. and Bob, gregarious as always, told them about the DS fest.  The policemen were genuinely glad we had come from all over the country to visit NY.  They wished us a good visit as we went to catch up with the group.  Very hospitable and fine ambassadors for their city.

Well said Minja.  :)I'd like to add that I felt that type of hospitality from the native New Yorkers the entire time I was there. Not being very familiar with the subway system, on a couple occassions BuzzH and I had to make queries, and each time the people we asked for help were more than happy to help out. Heck, one gentleman even walked us to the Brookyln Marriott from the Subway station, saying it was only a block out of his way, and that he was happy to do so.

I found the staff at the Brookyln Marriott to be very pleasant and willing to help out with whatever request we made.  Sunday after the banquet, several of us were gathered in a section of the bar that had a large t.v. screen. I inquired at the front desk as to whether or not it would be possible for us to use that t.v. to view some footage that Guy had shot over the weekend. The
front desk got in touch with the Manager on duty and I explained to him what we wanted to do, and he was more than happy to work with us. He allowed Guy to hook up his video camera to the t.v. and we were able to watch the very entertaining Collinsport Players in the skit they had performed the previous night.

Several of the Collinsport Players were there, and it was nice to be able to see them relive their previous nights performanace with one another. It was a great way to spend the last night of the festival together, and I'm very grateful to the Staff of the Marriott for allowing us to do that.

Speaking of the Collinsport Players, here is a cast photo I took of them after their performance. Our forum was well represented with stellar performances from Prof.Stokes (3rd from right as Maggie) and Stuart.(Far right as Willie)

Bob

[attachment deleted by admin]
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2003, 07:47:21 AM »
Bob, great picture!!  I love it!!

Thanks for sharing.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Debra

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2003, 06:00:55 AM »
Minja and Bobubas, thanks for sharing your pictures.  The one from Ground zero is just so emotional to look at now without the Twin towers there.  That emptiness will always be a painful reminder of the past.

Bobubas it was nice to see the Collinsport players all in costume. I bet they put on one heck of a show!!

Deb