Author Topic: It's amusing! For lack of a better word. (SPOILERS)  (Read 1781 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
It's amusing! For lack of a better word. (SPOILERS)
« on: July 12, 2005, 04:54:56 AM »
I find the father-son dynamic between Roger and David somewhat amusing in the complete and utter turn-around compared from early in the series to later in the series. I'm watching some episodes in boxset 3 (I believe) where David is trapped in the mausoleum.

David's been missing for days, no one knows where he is or if he's dead or alive. Everyone suspects that he may have been abducted by the "maniac" that kidnapped Maggie, nobody knows what happened to her while she was missing, and can't imagine what could happen to David in the same man's hands.

Roger and Joe are prowling around Eagle Hill Cemetery and Roger is more interested in the family vaults than the location and well being of his son.

Consider later after David and Barnabas find the dead Ezra Braithwaite in the drawing room, Roger threatens Barnabas with exile from Collinwood for accusing David of taking a ledger.

I also find it amusing that as Willie bursts in and tells Julia that Sarah's been telling secrets and Barnabas has all but openly threatened to kill David, Julia's first thought is of her experiments.

Considering how hell-bent Barnabas and Julia are later in the series for saving the family, their total lack of concern early on is amusing to watch.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: It's amusing! For lack of a better word. (SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 04:59:27 AM »
I find the father-son dynamic between Roger and David somewhat amusing in the complete and utter turn-around compared from early in the series to later in the series. I'm watching some episodes in boxset 3 (I believe) where David is trapped in the mausoleum.

This contrast is even more startling in the Pre-Barnabas episodes, where Roger and David openly loathe each other!
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 05:23:01 AM »
As I saw David and his Father's relationship age like a fine wine I tend to believe that in the beginning the two never really knew each other, Roger being a sort of first time Dad after Laura left for that sanitarium to get better so to speak...leaving David's perception of him affected by his mother's view of his Father, he did not trust him because Mummy didn't.. in time they learned to trust and love each other.
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 06:56:22 PM »
leaving David's perception of him affected by his mother's view of his Father, he did not trust him because Mummy didn't.. in time they learned to trust and love each other.

Not to mention David's eventual realization that Laura wasn't exactly the shining example of motherhood that his longing to have her back had made her out to be. That was bound to bring David closer to Roger - though apparently it took Roger somewhat longer to get closer to David...

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 07:10:03 PM »
I also find it amusing that as Willie bursts in and tells Julia that Sarah's been telling secrets and Barnabas has all but openly threatened to kill David, Julia's first thought is of her experiments.

Yes, don't you just love that?  ;)  And it's also amusing that it isn't until after her experiments have failed and Barnabas is tormenting her that Julia finally defends David (by revealing she has also seen Sarah). But, of course, by then what does she have to lose?...

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 09:21:00 PM »
I only saw the pre-Barnabas a few years ago and was amazed how distant and cold Roger and David were to each other. I grew up on the Barnabas episodes when Roger and David are so close. It was a quite a jolt to realize they weren't always that way, but it was fascinating to watch.

I hated the way Roger treated Barnabas when he came home from his trip. It's understandable Roger
would want to believe his son but after all the seances, ghosts speaking through people, girls travelling through time, not to mention his own wife consumed by flames, you'd think he'd stop being so skeptical of the supernatural after awhile.

[spoiler]And who did Roger think he was, threatening Barnabas that if he didn't apologize to "poor David" he wouldn't be welcomed in HIS house? Excuse me, but isn't Collinwood officialy ELIZABETH'S house?[/spoiler]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 10:26:54 PM »
Roger's great.  When David and Barnabas are at odds and David's the good guy, Roger sides with Barnabas.  When David and Barnabas are at odds and Barnabas is the good guy, Roger sides with David.  I wish Roger were part of my life - and then, anytime I wasn't sure what to do, all I'd have to do is look at what Roger was doing, and do the opposite.

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 11:28:58 PM »
Im watching some of those episodes right now.  Roger certainly isn't the model for paternal affection.  When [spoiler]the big Barnabat is attacking David,[/spoiler] the poor kid is screaming his head off, "HELP!  HELP!"   Roger runs in from the doorway under the stairs and runs INTO the drawing room where Elizabeth is.  "WHAT IS IT?" Roger asks.   Elizabeth tells him, "It's DAVID!" and they both hurry upstairs.  What is it?  DUH!  It's your SON and he's SCREAMING, doofus!  lol!

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 01:44:26 AM »
  What is it?  DUH!  It's your SON and he's SCREAMING, doofus!  lol![angl]

LOL. Sometimes don't you just wonder what the writers were thinking?  [hall2_rolleyes]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 01:50:23 AM »
LOL. Sometimes don't you just wonder what the writers were thinking?  [hall2_rolleyes]

And doesn't THAT question just cover a multitude of sins on DS?  [hall2_grin]

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics