Author Topic: KLS in Playboy 50th Ann. Bunny article  (Read 2735 times)

LorraineAAB

KLS in Playboy 50th Ann. Bunny article
« on: January 10, 2004, 09:55:58 PM »
I copied and uploaded this to my website because my paper is almost the last, it seems, to have recieved it, and most newspaper archives are "pay-only" after a week.  It was originally published in the Chicago Tribune on 12-24-2003.

http://lorrainestheplaza.0catch.com/PlayboyBunny50.htm

There's plenty of commentary from Kathryn Leigh Scott here, but, interestingly, the picture they put in the paper was of a FLA- based B-A Christian singer Mary Parker.  She began her career as Bunny, then a singer for the PBC, but because she never posed for the mag, she was comfortable about reminiscing.

L.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:KLS in Playboy 50th Ann. Bunny article
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 04:11:31 AM »
There's plenty of commentary from Kathryn Leigh Scott here, but, interestingly, the picture they put in the paper was of a FLA- based B-A Christian singer Mary Parker. 

Lorraine,

A friend sent along the article after it originally appeared in the Orlando Sentinel (bad, bad me for not posting it-- and thank you for doing so), and along with the photo you mentioned it did have one of KLS in her ears with a caption about her authoring the book and working as a bunny at the NY club in 1963.  Perhaps someone here saved it and is willing to share?

Anyway, I find KLS' comments about bunnies being early feminists very amusing.  At the time, women working at the Playboy clubs in the 60s were not MY idea of females on the cutting edge of social change.  I realize that she was referring to their financial independence, and that it was seen as a stepping stone to something better, but the mere fact that they had to impress men in order to make that kind of money or launch their careers is exactly what women my age found appalling in those days.

~Midnite (70s women's libber and proud of it!)

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 05:12:46 AM »
 [lghy] I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE KLS... but they were not feminists!

[chkyy] My favorite line from the article is from the Bunny-turned Christian:

[cheesyg] "We wore 3-inch heels and we looked good."

[bow] I think that about sums it up!

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 07:07:49 AM »
Well, I think the point KLS was trying to make with her book is that, contrary to what some people might have thought (and still think), the Bunnies weren't bimbos or hookers, but instead were ambitious women who had brains and goals. 

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 07:27:20 AM »
 8) Well, I agree with that observation, ClaudeNorth.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2004, 08:18:33 AM »
Well, I think the point KLS was trying to make with her book is that, contrary to what some people might have thought (and still think), the Bunnies weren't bimbos or hookers, but instead were ambitious women who had brains and goals.

As true as that probably is, that still doesn't make her a feminist  :)

I remember watching the program they made out of the Bunny Years and being pretty damn amused myself as KLS talked about Steinem. Kind of think KLS missed the point...
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline grayson67

• Junior Poster
  • I must come up with something creative to put here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2004, 08:21:04 AM »
I believe my mom was very much of the same mind as Midnite when it came to the bunnies. In fact, my mother always tells this story about how she was practically fired from her then job as an insurance adjustor in the early 70s (or right around that time) as a result of a bunny-related misunderstanding.

Apparently, she went with a date to the Playboy Club in Detroit. As a gift her date bought her a little gold charm of the playboy bunny symbol (which she still has today). A few days later she wore the charm to work and was summoned into her bosses office - apparently they though she was moonlighting as a bunny. As one of the youngest women in the office quickly working her way up (my mom's quite the smarty ;D) she was appalled¢â‚¬¦ and really embarrassed. Needless to say she didn't wear the charm to work again.

Hmm¢â‚¬¦ she does wear the charm every once and a while these days¢â‚¬¦ perhaps she's trying to embrace her inner bunny  [emblgh]

grayson67 (Melissa - thinking that for the kind of tips they made even I wouldn't mind embracing my inner bunny [diablo])

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 02:26:41 AM »
I'm amazed at how it was actually quite conservative and even puritanical at the clubs with regards to the Bunnies.  Patrons were given those strict rules:  no touching; no dating; no nuthin'.  For what those guys got who went there, they just might as well've hired Mrs. Doubtfire.  I think if one of those Bunnies had used the I-Ching and travelled to the future, Hooters would've caused them to faint dead away.  It really didn't seem that much different in attitude towards sexual parlee-voo than the old "women's hotels" which still existed in New York at that time.  No guys allowed beyond the lobby if that far, and a strict curfew for the girls.  The girls working the cigarette counter at the local Drexall probably had more to fear from some cad's advances than the Bunnies.

Gerard

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 03:07:10 AM »
And I'm amazed at how out of touch I am with the woman's point of view about 70s womens lib. I think that it was very progressive that women could decide for themselves to go into that line of work and make good money doing it. Especially considering how "clean & respectful" it all was. It seems very liberating to me. I guess I tend to see it more as KLS does than Gloria. I've never read Gloria's expose. Perhaps I'd have a different opinion if I had, or perhaps, if I were a woman. Either way, it is a fascinating subject.

Does KLS mention in her book if she kept her bunny work a secret from Dan Curtis (or anyone else for that matter) for fear she would not get work if people knew? Just curious.

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 04:04:39 AM »
 :-X I believe there was a very small time period when KLS was doing both the bunny and DS jobs... They did not want it known that she was moonlighting as a worker in the Playboy Club, as you can imagine!

;) I believe her name was different... "Bunny Kaye" comes to mind... but, it might have been something else.  It was fairly soon that she hung up the bunny ears and switched over to working exclusively at the Collinsport Inn.  KLS is a dear lady... very sweet.

:-* I went to the Book Party for "The Bunny Years" in Brentwood.  I chatted with KLS and got to sit in the front table nearest to her as she spoke.  There was a couple at my table who fretted about their yacht.

8) There was also the widow or some relative/heir to Grauman's Chinese Theater.  KLS had published a book on the theater.  I loved talking with her about all the Hollywood legends.  The lady was very thankful to Katie -- found her professional and fair with the book.  She was very, very happy she decided upon KLS.

;D Katie was a wonderful "hostess" & we all admired her and the book.  In hindsight, it's clear that the "bunny women" were ahem... *ahead* of their time in some way --  though certainly they were not feminists in the traditional sense.

:D I had a splendid time at the gathering.  I think Red Buttons visited our table foursome for a time.  I believe he may have spoke mostly about the passing of Frank Sinatra.  I was happy to meet him... a sweet, funny, giving guy.

:( I wish I written down memories at the time ... oh, well...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 05:31:09 AM »
wes, you'll want to edit this part of your message (click modify / edit the text / Save).  Red Buttons is alive and well.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2004, 06:10:58 AM »
..... I think that it was very progressive that women could decide for themselves to go into that line of work and make good money doing it. Especially considering how "clean & respectful" it all was. It seems very liberating to me....

Hmm....I would think it would be rather degrading to walk around serving drinks, with your breasts pushed up, bunny ears on your head, and a big, fluffy cotton ball stuck on your ass.  LOL  (but what do I know)

If I were a man being served by someone dressed up like this, I think I would find it an insult to my intelligence.

But hey, to each his own.   ;D
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2004, 06:36:46 AM »
Connie,

Your last comment made me laugh out loud.

Thank you for that.

Murph  :D :D

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2004, 06:47:06 AM »
serving drinks, with your breasts pushed up, bunny ears on your head, and a big, fluffy cotton ball stuck on your ass.  ...

If I were a man being served by someone dressed up like this, I think I would find it an insult to my intelligence.

Umm, are all your male friends gay?  ;)  Or is it that you have a higher opinion of what men might find arousing than they probably have themselves?  Have you ever been around a bunch of men in a bar - particularly after they've had a few?  [lghy]  (As as for the gay guys, something tells me that they'd be just as happy to have a bunch of waiters dressed in nothing more than a pair of tight shorts with a big, fluffy cotton ball stuck on their asses waiting on them.  [b003])

I think the type of man you descibe doesn't esist. Or if he does, well, he's a rarity.  [wink2]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2004, 06:54:51 AM »
LorraineAAB,

Great new avatar!  ;)