Author Topic: the batroom  (Read 1143 times)

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
the batroom
« on: July 04, 2002, 10:13:43 PM »
i was just wondering, now that barnabas is "cured" from his affliction, he is like normal people, where the heck does he go to the bathroom at?? seeing as how the old house was built in the 1700s(?) there wouldnt be any indoor plumbing, so i assume its an outhouse for B and willie...have a mental picture of barnabas, strolling to the outhouse, with charmin in hand, whistling as he makes his way..or does he make a mad dash to the "big house" for the comforts of the modern world? and what about adam, locked in that room all this time, does harry take him to the potty?? and he is close shaved, so i guess he has mastered the razor too?and does harry get mad at adam and withhold some of his food when adam bombs out the bathroom, where its unusable for half an hour??? ;D oh well, just some thoughts about the unseen things of life on ds ;)
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
Re: the batroom
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2002, 10:52:02 PM »
I was afraid this topic would come up at some point  :P

There may be evidence to the contrary, but is it not possible that vampires in DS go to the bathroom?  After all, as a vampire Barnabas drank (booze included), ate, and had a heartbeat.  I see no reason why the "old house" would not have had a "portable" bathroom (guess what one of Willie's jobs would have been?  :P) somewhere, just like much smaller houses with no plumbing had.  Also, winter climate would have necessitated it.

As for Adam, I can't bring myself to answer further...  :P
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline Angelique_s_Sis

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2002, 11:27:10 PM »
?!?  I've always wondered that, too.   :D  Perhaps, the old house had an outhouse?  Or, they used those ceramic pots?  I know they have a name but I can't remember it...? ?!? ;D :D :)

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2002, 12:13:17 AM »
Hmm LOL Why would the Big House have plumbing and not the Old House? They were both from the 1790s..hopefully Barnabas had something installed in the house when he renovated it or had an outhouse close by. Or maybe that's the reason so many people went into the woods soo late in the night  ;)

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2002, 01:59:52 AM »
Chamber pot is what they were called.  I am old enough to remember when we used to visit people on the farm and that is what they used at night.  Beside the bed.  I was raised in town and we had indoor plumbing.

A joke about that pot is, a young fellow from town was visiting his cousin on the farm overnight for the first time.  Came time for bed and he was going to share the bed with his cousin, and prior to going to sleep the cousin was on his knees on the floor on his side of the bed.  The young fellow thinking his cousin was saying his prayers then knelt down on the floor beside the bed on his side.  His cousin then said " Mom is really going to be mad.  There is no pot on that side."

Well anyway, joke of the day.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2002, 02:28:50 AM »
Chamber pot is what they were called.

They were also known around my house as thunder jugs!

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2002, 03:44:21 AM »
 Perhaps, the old house had an outhouse?  Or, they used those ceramic pots?

Poor Willie. . he has to empty chamber pots too. . . What did Julia do?  I mean ladies visited the Old House too, surely Barney would've provided for them. . he is a gentleman after all, a monster too but always a gentleman. . . 8)
Julia99

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2002, 06:38:45 AM »
Hmm LOL Why would the Big House have plumbing and not the Old House? They were both from the 1790s

While they were both built in the "old days," Collinwood continued to be used from that point on, so it's reasonable to assume that when indoor plumbing became available, that the people at the big house would have had it renovated.

And, it's not just Adam - we've had instances of people being held by someone at times, usually in a small room, so the same thing would apply to them!
Josette