Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0087  (Read 1007 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0087
« on: November 01, 2011, 11:52:19 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0087
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 11:39:43 AM »
We got our first look today at one of the Collinwood secret panels.  I guess Roger used it because the door to the west wing is locked, but surely Elizabeth is aware of the secret panel, and surely she also knows that Roger knows about it.  Oh, well, I suppose locking the west wing keeps the traffic there down to people who are familiar with the house.  Not that there are very many guests at Collinwood.

Golly what a mess the west wing is.  Why?  It doesn't seem characteristic of Elizabeth to let it go like that.

It would have been sort of neat if Vicky had died and turned into one of the Collinwood ghosts, but alas, that was not to be.  Alexandra Moltke did a lovely job of falling completely apart when Roger rescued Vicky.  Naturally I sat there thinking what a wuss Vicky was, because I'm mean, but Moltke did do a good job.

If Carolyn hadn't just spent a delightful evening with Burke, would she taken any interest at all over Vicky's disappearance?

Joe sure stayed late at Maggie's.  Was it after 2am when he left?  I hadn't remembered Maggie knowing about boats and engines in quite such detail, and I'm wondering exactly how she acquired that knowledge.  The particular aspect of it that bothers me is that Joe didn't know that she was knowledgeable.  That surprises me.  But maybe he's been concentrating on Carolyn so much that he forgot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 12:13:09 PM »
I hadn't remembered Maggie knowing about boats and engines in quite such detail, and I'm wondering exactly how she acquired that knowledge.  The particular aspect of it that bothers me is that Joe didn't know that she was knowledgeable.  That surprises me.  But maybe he's been concentrating on Carolyn so much that he forgot.

I experienced this as a repeat of an earlier scene, maybe weeks ago, where Maggie rattled off the same info., and surprised Joe in exactly the same way.   This is viewing #2 for all this, though.   Maybe I remember seeing this months ago.   It did seem odd that she'd know all that, without having a father as a sailor, or without working amongst boats herself.

I liked that they were cutting from one locale to another, showing them dealing with the storm.  I never notice DS storms usually.  The thunder's just in the background, like a laugh track.   Here, the storm is a bit of an event that affects different people in different ways.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Magnus, this is the first scene in which Maggie rattled off boat information.  I wondered if Kathryn Leigh Scott had help from the teleprompter, but I've decided she had it too down pat for that - and she does have a good memory for lines.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 01:36:12 PM »
I hadn't remembered Maggie knowing about boats and engines in quite such detail, and I'm wondering exactly how she acquired that knowledge. 

Maybe she belonged to the sailing club at Collinsport High. She may have enjoyed it so much so that she decided to delve deeply into all the details. That's what I think anyway.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 05:40:58 PM »
My husband, who is highly knowledgeable about nautical matters, says that Maggie got the sail names right but didn't specify the rigging. But her main goal was to impress Joe, and she certainly accomplished that. And she plies him with enough coffee to to keep him at the cottage till after 2:00 a.m., even though he probably has to get up for work at something like 4:00 a.m.

In her terror, poor Vicki has doubled the number of rooms at Collinwood from 40 to 80, possibly reflecting her fear that whoever is looking for her will take quite a long time to find her.

Before Roger opens the secret panel (hooray!) in the drawing room, he carefully turns out all the lights--but leaves the fire burning merrily away. Later, Carolyn comes downstairs and is surprised to see that the drawing room is empty--but surely she knows about the secret panel herself.

We also see the spiral staircase for the first time, I believe. It will figure prominently in two other storylines that I can remember.

Once again, Roger shows his cruel streak, maybe so he'll look like more of a hero when he finally releases Vicki from her prison. But then there's that seaweed....

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 05:04:37 PM »
Sam's payoff was 15,000 and he blew it all.  He does seem like one of those people who spend like crazy and then wonder where it all went.
Joe gives Maggie a goodbye kiss as 2:15 in the morning. I grew up in a town not unlike Collinsport and the only people up at that time were the Sam Evanses. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 05:21:22 PM »
We will find out eventually that [spoiler]Sam didn't exactly blow the fifteen grand.[/spoiler]