Author Topic: OT -- Rare Universal Releases  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
OT -- Rare Universal Releases
« on: October 31, 2011, 07:05:56 PM »
Universal Horror: Classic Movie Archive (The Black Cat / Man Made Monster / Horror Island / Night Monster / Captive Wild Woman)

I have been waiting for this forever!  Night Monster is my absolute fave. My VHS tape went blank years ago. Excellent. excellent B movies in this collection. Anybody on this board ever seen Horror Island????

Available on Amazon for ten bucks or so. Man, Halloweeny doesn't get better'n this!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: OT -- Rare Universal Releases
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 12:08:52 AM »
These sound very cool! I think the only one I have ever seen is The Black Cat, the 1940s one in which Lugosi was a butler and Gale Sondergaard a housekeeper, right?

I must look up Night Monster!  I vaguely recall seeing stills from it in Famous Monsters long ago.

Happy belated Halloween!

G.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 12:13:53 AM »
Thank you! Happy Halloweeny to you too.

A friend and I, when we were on the phone, would always do dialogue from Night Monster. He would do Lugosi's dialogue so hysterically funny, it had me in stitches every time.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 04:09:46 PM »
I looked up Night Monster on IMDB--it sounds like a hoot, and the sort of thing that would be interesting to see as a precursor to DS (which owed a lot to 1940s Universal horror films, especially House of Frankenstein/Dracula, Frankenstein meets the Wolfman, etc.).

I used to have a friend who would intersperse stray snippets of dialogue from Bela Lugosi and Bette Davis in phone conversations.  The guy was a real riot.  

cheers, Gothick

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 09:15:11 PM »
Janet, I've never had an adult monster-movie phase.   This isn't top of my list for the stuff I'd immerse in if the disposable income weren't nearly zero, but I'd get to it pretty fast.   I wish someone could tell me some fast, simple way of getting in and out of bargain sites like eBay, because of the (severe) eyes/concentration problems.   Half a minute to two minutes, in and out.   Then even I might pick up some sale item once in awhile.  

It used to be that $5 was my upper limit for a video I really wanted and saw on clearance.   It's less now, and I rarely can, but half of that is getting out far less.   Several series from the 90s and earlier I missed season one of, because I'm slow to check shows out, and those could be found cheaply now, maybe.

At the grocery store, I got the box of all of season 3 of Six Feet Under (DVDs) for $7!   I'd never seen it, but it was well worth the risk (even $7 being a risk for me).   I'm totally missing this "Golden Age of Cable"...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »
Janet, I've never had an adult monster-movie phase.   This isn't top of my list for the stuff I'd immerse in if the disposable income weren't nearly zero, but I'd get to it pretty fast.

Are you saying my taste in films stink?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 11:44:17 PM »
Are you saying my taste in films stink?

No, the opposite!   I'm saying I need to see those movies...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 06:31:08 PM »
Since these rare Universals were available, I decided to seek out a real gem - Slightly Honorable (released by United Artists or one of the lesser studios, RKO maybe, I can't remember which) - one of the best mystery movie endings in Hollywood history. And it is! Under ten clams on Amazon. If you're a true fan of old time murder mystery pictures and comedy, this is the film for you. Pat O'Brien (bless his soul), & Brod Crawford star. A real treat.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »
Best line in Black Cat '41 comes from Brod Crawford when Basil Rathbone's charater discovers a clue: "He thinks he's Sherlock Holmes." LOL!!!!!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 07:48:29 PM »
Happy 1500!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 12:53:04 AM »
If I remember correctly, there is a secret passage in a mausoleum in The Black Cat 1941.  Talk about a DS touch!

G.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 06:09:49 PM »
Oh, yeah. Hugh Hubert did a lot of ad libbing and walks behind a couple actors doing a scene in that passageway. There's no doubt in my mind that DC had seen these.