Author Topic: The Jerry Lacy - Humphrey Bogart Resemblance  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Professor Stokes

• Barnabas Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Conversation Pit
The Jerry Lacy - Humphrey Bogart Resemblance
« on: August 20, 2006, 10:42:25 PM »
Dark Shadows gets mentions all over. Here is a new topic I started on my forum, entitled "Spooky Resemblance". Keep in mind that the typical member there has never heard of Dark Shadows, so I needed to fill them in a bit. I posted this in our "Popcorn" forum where we discuss movies and TV, among other things. Enjoy!
*****************************************************************************************************

A little background first.

Back in the Pre-Cambrian period, 1966 - 1971, when dirt was in the prototype stage, and fire was a distant dream, Pam and I (long before we met) used to watch a show called Dark Shadows. It was on after school, about 3pm. I'd watch that, and then the Three Stooges. Every day. I'd occasionally miss Dark Shadows when I went to my friend Steve Boncimino's house for our daily Stooges fix. I never missed the Stooges. But when possible I'd watch DS.

Dark Shadows was a semi-live gothic soap opera. Semi-live, in that they taped the night before, but the taping was continuous ...no retakes, and everything stayed in the aired episode ...even flubbed lines. It gives it a charm all its own ;)

Well, several years ago we signed up to purchase the VHS tapes of the show. We'd get one tape every 2 weeks or so, and it contained 5 episodes. I'd cap onto DVD, and we'd watch the disc the same day I capped it.

Well, the service that was sending the tapes just stopped. So Pam got the DVDs through Netflix. The last few months we have been watching 5 episodes (20 minutes each without commercials) right about the time we eat supper. It's a ritual, and we both have been totally hooked on the show again. It has quite a cult following, with conventions, fan clubs, etc. ;) We have to see our Dark Shadows every day now, or we begin to develop twitches and spasms, and occasionally lose continence. It's very addictive :eek:

One of the characters on the show, Reverend Trask, is played by an actor named Jerry Lacy.. And the man is the spitting image of Humphrey Bogart :eek: It's amazing. Even being costumed and make-upped as another character on DS, it makes the hairs on my neck stand up when he's in a scene, because he just looks that much like Bogey.

Apparently we're not the only ones who think so. He played Bogart in the 1972 Woody Allen movie "Play It Again, Sam".

He did other Bogart stuff too. Back in the aforementioned Pre-Cambrian era, there used to be a Right Guard deodorant commercial I remember clearly. It was one of my favorites because it involved a Bogart impersonator who looked and sounded exactly like Bogey. The tag line was (in perfect Bogey) "Dry up, shweetheart .....ushe Right Guard, in the shilver can!" :laugh:

It wasn't until today when I was getting the stuff together for this post that I found out that ....sure enough ...it was Jerry Lacy who did that Right Guard commercial :D

Anyways ...I think it's a remarkable likeness, and, like with most other things, I thought I'd share it with my Convo Pit family and see what you all thought ;)

First some screen grabs from a Dark Shadows DVD we recently watched:

Now a couple of comparison shots with the real Bogey's pic on the left and Jerry Lacy's pic on the right, in a pose as close as I could get:

Here are some grabs from that Right Guard commercial I mentioned:

And ...finally, a short video taken from the trailer for "Play It Again, Sam". I think whoever spotted this actor and used him as a Bogey lookalike was a genius ...and very lucky:

http://convopit.org/forum/files/pias2_161.mpg
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: The Jerry Lacy - Humphrey Bogart Resemblance
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 04:39:48 AM »
Nope.  As I said in my response to your introductory post, before I saw this one:  I don't like Humphrey Bogart, but I do like Jerry Lacy.  I carefully studied the pictures in your post to figure out why, and could not come up with a solid answer...but I didn't change my mind.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 06:11:34 AM »
interesting post  :)
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Professor Stokes

• Barnabas Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Conversation Pit
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 05:09:12 PM »
Nope.  As I said in my response to your introductory post, before I saw this one:  I don't like Humphrey Bogart, but I do like Jerry Lacy.  I carefully studied the pictures in your post to figure out why, and could not come up with a solid answer...but I didn't change my mind.
[scratch]"Nope" to the resemblance, or "Nope" to liking them both?

David

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 05:26:48 PM »
Wanna REALLY show the resemblance?
Run a screen grab of Lacy as Trask  next to a screen grab of him from Woody Allen's Play It Again Sam (1972) in which he actually played Bogart!

David

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 06:38:26 PM »
I definately always saw the resemblance and thought he did a great impression of Bogey.  But, I think Lacey is better looking...when not all Trasked-out that is.

(Enjoyed your post BTW!)
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Professor Stokes

• Barnabas Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Conversation Pit
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 08:56:06 PM »
Wanna REALLY show the resemblance?
Run a screen grab of Lacy as Trask  next to a screen grab of him from Woody Allen's Play It Again Sam (1972) in which he actually played Bogart!
Great idea. And I would do that if I had a copy of Play It Again, Sam. But I can't stand Woody Allen and don't own any of his movies ::) There's precious little in the way of grabs from the movie on the net.

If someone would be so kind as to get a screen grab off a DVD and PM me, I'll give you my e-mail address to send it to. Then I'll post the side-by-side comparison of Trask and Bogey-Lacy. Or ....maybe it would be better to get a DS grab of Lacy as Tony Peterson? Or do you think the 1795 Trask would be better? The 1897 Trask has too much makeup and hair on his face.

Thanks, CastleBee ;)

Offline thirdratehack

• Sniffin' paint
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 11:06:45 PM »
I suppose I am not the only one who would say that Lacey looks like Bogey. I like Bogey though I haven't seen all his movies and am not a film noir hardboiled investigator fan. He was in a Bette Davis movie once. Neat. I like his face. Love Lacey's face too but HATE Trask.

I like features. Can't help it. I like Barny's nose and Lacey's lips and Selby's lips and eyebrows.

Isn't Elizabeth Stoddard a vision!! In some episode during the Chris is a werewolf series some genius costumer dressed her in red WOWWW!!!! Red was certainly her color. It is a power color. I just had a thought, it is funny how Liz is in red, a power color and she is a very strong, in control person but Quentin's sister, can't recall the name just now, who married Trask was only in pink, a weaker color of red showing that she was not very strong and letting Trask think for her, and only in a very WICKED crimson red color after she started playing on Trask. I think I remember that correctly. Neat!!!! These costume people were thinking. LOVE it.

I PMed Prof. Stokes and noted that Barny resembles these actors or characters: Spock, Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes, and Boris Karloff. I think I seen a scan of a magazine article online that noted the resemblence to Boris. Love Karloff. Frankenstien is cool. And it is funny but in the first meeting or second of Carl Collins and Barny Carl says "You have a kind face" and I think that that is a line from Frankenstine. Hehehe. Love Karlen.

Anyone notice that there is a certain 'type' in the faces of these popular stars and characters? Stokes, Robert Taylor, Chris Noth, Jeremy Brett, Jonathan Frid, Leonard Nimoy Spock, Boris Karloff, and the wolfman Lon Chaney.

TRIVIA: There is, if I remember correctly, the name Collins on a tombstone in the grave yard in the first Lon Chaney werewolf movie. Coincidence?? ?? Fanfiction writers should think on this! And they are using the poem in DS from that movie "even a man pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the Autumn moon is bright." Love Lon Chaney.

All right I'll shut up now.

;D
[angel12]

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 02:53:57 AM »
You know...how in the Sam Hill can you compare Humphrey Bogart to Jerry Lacy? Obvioously Lacy was blessed with Bogarts looks. I remember the commercials in the sixties and seventies with Lacy doing a Bogart take off. But my god, man, you can't compare the two. Give it a rest. Shove it under the door. This coffee tastes like swill and I can't wait to ask Old Man Karlen his opinion.
Look. Bogart had a natural acting talent. Doesn't come often. You don't like his films; well you don't like his films. Watch Key Largo. And any Warner's picture circa 1938. You may change your mind.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline thirdratehack

• Sniffin' paint
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 03:21:37 AM »
I realy think you need to learn how to read.

Did I say ANYTHING that compared Lacy to Bogey acting wise? DID ANYONE? WE ARE SAYING HE LOOKS LIKE BOGEY THAT IS ALL.

And I said I do not like the film noir genre I did not say I did not like Bogey's films specifically and I am not interested in seeing them. I am sure Bogey is a fine actor I am just not interested.

If you dont like this discussion you do have the ability to read others.

[angel12]

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 03:29:19 AM »
snip> He was in a Bette Davis movie once. Neat. I like his face. Love Lacey's face too but HATE Trask. <snip>

actually he shared the screen in 7 movies with Ms Davis starting in 1931 with Bad Sister and ending in 1943 with Thank your lucky stars. Their tow most notable being Petrified Forest '36 and Dark Victory '39.

LdyAnne

Offline thirdratehack

• Sniffin' paint
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 04:14:38 AM »
Yeah, I saw Petrified Forest that was cool. Now that you note it I remember. DV was the film I was thinking of.

[angel12]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 04:29:43 AM »
Please avoid making the debate personal.  Thanks.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2006, 09:10:40 PM »
actually i just saw him in drake and josh and i don't think
he looks anything like bogie did at the same age

jennifer

we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox