Author Topic: DS Fest-Great Ice Rip Off to be shown Saturday Night  (Read 872 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
DS Fest-Great Ice Rip Off to be shown Saturday Night
« on: August 09, 2006, 12:54:01 PM »
I understand from Jim Pierson the Grayson Hall-Lee J Cobb-Gig Young film The Great Ice Rip-Off will be shown Saturday night after the Night of Dark Shadows at the DS Festival.
Julia99

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Re: DS Fest-Great Ice Rip Off to be shown Saturday Night
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 02:21:13 PM »
And of course it's a Dan Curtis film with music by Bob Cobert, so don't be surprised if you hear some very familiar tunes in it...  For those of you who haven't seen the film, you're in for a treat!

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 06:55:37 PM »
This is, indeed, a treat.  I'm really pleased with the amount of Grayson content at this year's Fest. 

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 12:50:10 AM »
This is, indeed, a treat.  I'm really pleased with the amount of Grayson content at this year's Fest. 

No kidding. I am looking forward to this flick!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 03:40:58 PM »
Just to chime in that whoever arranged for this to be shown deserves extra kudos.  The Great Ice Rip-Off is a very interesting movie--not a great picture, but well worth seeing.  I believe it was one of the last things Lee J. Cobb ever did.  Grayson's work in the picture is very plausible and toned-down--no throat-clutching or mugging here.  Her character actually has more dimensionality than the two male leads even though she has less screen time.  She does get to do a fair amount here, particularly in comparison with many of her other later film roles.

Bob Cobert's music is very UN-Dark Shadows, but at one moment, they do make a nod to the fans of their other, "legendary" project.

I'd love to see a decent print of this.  The copy I got from another fan is a bit on the grainy side.

G.