Author Topic: Shadowgram Update #154  (Read 6618 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowgram Update #154
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2006, 09:11:46 PM »
You're a lucky guy, Michael.  I've talked to a lot of fans who wish their spouse or significant other had such an interest!

Nancy

Not to be boastful, but I am glad to have married another Dark Shadows fan, as Diane and I did hang a portrait of Barnabas above our fireplace in the den. Its the one that was by the company that did the early 90's gim cards, and pretty nice if not an exact replica of the show's. I told her I would however one day replace it when I can afford to have her portrait painted as Josette like the one from the Old House.  ;D
      The Angeique PT portrait reproduction btw hangs in one of our hallways as well

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2006, 12:49:59 AM »
You're such a romantic, Michael.

Have the near orig portrat here - no...wait. My roomie commissioned a goy to paint the portrait. Looks dang nice hanging in the living room. Or parlor as you Southern folk say.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2006, 12:58:54 AM »
Of course, in reality who is really going to be able to prevent fans from taping the fan panels, etc, since there is no legal reason for it, and as some have said, sad to say, there has probably been some illegal of copyrighted stuff that should not have been videotaped.

Re the portrait auction, one of my children showed an article about a Star Trek memorabilia auction, and I showed them the information on being able to email in a bid on the Barnabas portrait at the Fest, and my child got a big kick out of that one, but then, my children have come to accept that anything can happen in Ds fandom....they cannot understand the big interest in something that is forty years old, and I say, DS still has the potential to become an addiction to some even to this day....

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2006, 01:23:36 AM »
Or parlor as you Southern folk say.
Not unless you live in a funeral home.  ;)

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2006, 02:10:11 AM »
Of course, in reality who is really going to be able to prevent fans from taping the fan panels, etc, since there is no legal reason for it, and as some have said, sad to say, there has probably been some illegal of copyrighted stuff that should not have been videotaped.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by there being no legal reason for it.  The organizers set the rules for the Festivals.  If they announce a ban on videotaping any celebrity performance or copyrighted video presentation, I would assume that a refusal could jeopardize the person's attendance at the event regardless of what has happened at past Fests.

Re the portrait auction, one of my children showed an article about a Star Trek memorabilia auction, and I showed them the information on being able to email in a bid on the Barnabas portrait at the Fest, and my child got a big kick out of that one, but then, my children have come to accept that anything can happen in Ds fandom....they cannot understand the big interest in something that is forty years old, and I say, DS still has the potential to become an addiction to some even to this day....

Cute story!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2006, 04:51:39 AM »
I did hang a portrait of Barnabas above our fireplace in the den.

The Angeique PT portrait reproduction btw hangs in one of our hallways as well

THAT is AWESOME! As Napoleon (Dynamite not Bonaparte)would say... "Lucky!"

-Penny 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2006, 09:35:22 AM »
at last years festival in los angeles there were "bouncers" going up to people videotaping restricted performances and asked to stop. these werent festival volunteers. they looked intimidating. dressed in suits. big guys. im not even going to bother bringing my camcorder.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2006, 02:08:32 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by there being no legal reason for it.  The organizers set the rules for the Festivals.  If they announce a ban on videotaping any celebrity performance or copyrighted video presentation, I would assume that a refusal could jeopardize the person's attendance at the event regardless of what has happened at past Fests.

at last years festival in los angeles there were "bouncers" going up to people videotaping restricted performances and asked to stop. these werent festival volunteers. they looked intimidating. dressed in suits. big guys. im not even going to bother bringing my camcorder.

Agree, the legality of it isn't an issue, if there even is an issue of legality, which I don't think there is.  The Fest Chairman, namely Jim Pierson, can set the rules and if fans don't comply then the Fest Committee has every right to toss the fans out.  Whether or not we as fans agree w/said rules is also not important, it's their show and we are their guests.  And what Joe says is correct, there were some scary looking dudes last year and they didn't allow anyone to break the rules.
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2006, 05:39:30 PM »
Not to be boastful, but I am glad to have married another Dark Shadows fan, as Diane and I did hang a portrait of Barnabas above our fireplace in the den.
Ah, Michael, I remember when the two of you met. A match made in Dark Shadows heaven. ;D I also have a Dark Shadows related portrait hanging on my wall.  Those amazing eyes of Angelique seem to follow you around the room. It is kind of eerie. ;)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2006, 09:45:49 PM »
In my previous post, I when I referring to legality of taping, I was referring to copyright issues, but that is true, any con can set its own rules, and now that we have lost Dan Curtis, Jim P may become even more controlling at the Fests than he has in the past, but who knows.

All kidding aside, we know that the orginal Barnabas portait will get incredible bids, it will be interesting to see what it goes for.

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2006, 09:27:15 AM »
Dave Brown was the only official videographer the festival has ever had.  I didn't hear anyone else being asked to take it on as it would require sitting and taping all the programming (panels, etc.) and not just what interested the videographer.  Dave made his living as a videographer and so was professional enough to entrust with that role.  I don't think anyone has the equipment available to them Dave did though I could be wrong.

If MPI is indeed videotaping the events for bonus material, it will be a better quality for everyone to have.  That would be a good thing, woudln't it?

Here are several corrections/clarifications to this post:

Dave Brown and Guy Haines were the only (please forgive the overly authoritative word) "official" videographers of the Dark Shadows Festivals. Guy taped the Festivals from the very first one in 1983 and Dave began the year after that. The three founders of the Festivals, Kathy Resch, Marcy Robin and Maria Barbosa named Dave and Guy in the 1984 Festival program book as being in charge of "Video Operations". Their duties mostly included taping the Festival events, but soon after evolved into preparing video footage that was to be presented at the Festivals and videotaping limited attendance events requested by the DS guests, such as Jonathan Frid's show rehearsals. Initially, both Guy and Dave made their videos available for fans to purchase. In the late 80s however, Guy asked that the DS fanzines not publicize him as selling the tapes because it was interfering with his work and (then) school activities. He would continue to fill an occasional request for his Festival footage if fans sought him out.

Perhaps the writer of the post above "didn't hear anyone else being asked to take" on the taping of the Fests because Guy was already doing it. In fact, Nancy hit the nail on the head when she described the work of the Fest videographer as requiring "sitting and taping all the programming (panels, etc.) and not just what interested the videographer". That is exactly what Guy does and always has done at the Festivals. Many frequent Fest attendees have been aware for years that if there is an event happening in the main room, they know that Guy is there behind his camera in his usual spot in the front of the room.

Despite never claiming to be a professional, through the years Guy has been requested to videotape many special Festival functions. He accompanied Jonathan Frid and Ann Wilson to Newport in 1985 and videotaped Jonathan giving a tour of "Collinwood" and the "Blue Whale".  Guy's video footage has also been used on past MPI DS tape releases, such as Louis Edmonds' Cabaret performance on the 25th Anniversary tape. On two occasions he videotaped Joan Bennett in her home for Festival presentation. And in 1998 he was asked to videotape Jonathan Frid's show at Hofstra University.

Through the years, both Dave and Guy utilized the most professional ¢â‚¬Ëœhome video' equipment available. This included VHS, Super-VHS and later digital quality cameras. They did not use professional studio quality video cameras, such as the ¾ inch tape cameras. However, the most expensive video camera equipment (personally seen by this writer) that was used to tape the Festivals belonged to Rich Blanco. He utilized two camcorders, both very expensive 3 chip state-of-the-art cameras. He used only the highest grade tapes for a crystal sharp picture. The only other cameras that surpassed Rich's quality were the professional cameras that taped part of the 25th DS Anniversary Festival in LA for segments to be used on the MPI tape.

By the way, as far as this writer knows, MPI has no plans to include Festival bonus footage on future DVD releases.

SDP

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2006, 09:45:18 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications for those who didn't know but I assume you fel this was necessary because you took my post to be critical of Guy and that was far from the case.

Guy, I'm afraid the whole thread got out of hand and wound up being taken out of context partly because I was cranky over a non-board related issue and that manifested itself here.  I PMd an apology to Buzz, in fact. The fact is unchanged that my post was not critical of you or your contributions as a videographer to the festival. If I really had felt that way, I would not have asked you to tape Jonathan's show at Hofstra years ago.  Jonathan didn't want anyone associated with the festival taping the show at that time so I had to convince him to let you do it.   I knew you would do a good job and that your equipment was perfectly fine for the purpose - it was even better than ours!  If I thought the experience would be bad and your work was lousy, you would not have been asked to tape the show, let alone be permitted to sell the Q&A afterwards.  I'm the person who picks the crew and others to be involved with the show - volunteers and professionals - so it would have been my hide had it not worked out.  Obviously I was comfortable with having you in the role you were in.  If I hadn't, you woud not have been in that role.   :o

All I did was say that you had videotapes, that's all.  I didn't know if you still sold them or not. Will you in the future?

Nancy

Despite never claiming to be a professional, through the years Guy has been requested to videotape many special Festival functions. He accompanied Jonathan Frid and Ann Wilson to Newport in 1985 and videotaped Jonathan giving a tour of "Collinwood" and the "Blue Whale".  Guy's video footage has also been used on past MPI DS tape releases, such as Louis Edmonds' Cabaret performance on the 25th Anniversary tape. On two occasions he videotaped Joan Bennett in her home for Festival presentation. And in 1998 he was asked to videotape Jonathan Frid's show at Hofstra University.

Through the years, both Dave and Guy utilized the most professional ¢â‚¬Ëœhome video' equipment available. This included VHS, Super-VHS and later digital quality cameras. They did not use professional studio quality video cameras, such as the ¾ inch tape cameras. However, the most expensive video camera equipment (personally seen by this writer) that was used to tape the Festivals belonged to Rich Blanco. He utilized two camcorders, both very expensive 3 chip state-of-the-art cameras. He used only the highest grade tapes for a crystal sharp picture. The only other cameras that surpassed Rich's quality were the professional cameras that taped part of the 25th DS Anniversary Festival in LA for segments to be used on the MPI tape.

By the way, as far as this writer knows, MPI has no plans to include Festival bonus footage on future DVD releases.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2006, 10:00:39 AM »
Well, for those still laboring under the illusion there is a Festival Committee, I need to tell you that there hasn't been for many years.  There is a group of people - a staff or whatever is has been called in the festival booklet - who are there to assist the chairman but most of them spend most of the time selling DS memorabilia.  They help out, of course, and the chairman trusts them but they don't have anything to do with the organization of the festival.  The festival is part of the publicity machine for DS through DCP and whatever entity now directs that organization.  The committee people aren't employees of DCP and never have been to my knowledge.

There ain't no committee. Of this I am certain.  Most of those who assist with the festival are called "production assistants" and wear a very official looking badge which purpose is to allow them to be anywhere they need to be at any given time.

And people do videotape things and sell them without asking permission of the actors involved.  I am talking about performances and not panel discussions.  They make copies and sell it privately.  I've run into it with Jonathan's shows and rehearsals and I know other actors have encountered the same problem.  Unfortunately a few idiots cost everyone.

It is common when an entity doesn't want people videotaping certain things at an event to simply ban all videotaping.  That way the attendees don't "forget" what they can tape and what they cannot.  I think the ban stinks but I think of many reasons it happened.

Nancy

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2006, 05:29:51 PM »
Thanks, SDP and Nancy.  Clarifications and insights into the workings of the Festivals are fascinating and always appreciated.

The DS Memorabilia thread did get out of hand, and I'm sorry to see the debate carried over to this one.  So please, as MB has already requested, let's stay on topic, and any further debate about misunderstandings during that previous disscussion needs to be taken to private message because it will be removed from the boards.

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2006, 06:58:44 PM »
Thanks for the clarifications for those who didn't know but I assume you fel this was necessary because you took my post to be critical of Guy and that was far from the case. 

All I did was say that you had videotapes, that's all.  I didn't know if you still sold them or not. Will you in the future?

No sweat, Nancy.  :)

I won't be selling tapes/dvds partly because I don't have the time, partly at Jim Pierson's request. I meant to say in my previous post that rather than being called an "Official Videographer", I'd prefer to see myself as the Festival historian or Festival archivist.

See you at the Fest.

SDP