Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0020  (Read 1839 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0020
« on: July 23, 2011, 12:33:10 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0020
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 12:50:38 AM »
Roger confronts Burke, suddenly energized and emboldened, somehow, by the attempt on his life.  Perhaps after having survived, he now feels bulletproof.   Perhaps he's soaring on [spoiler]the validation from "knowing" that Burke is now very definitely a guilty man who'll go to prison again now, thus proving Roger's story retroactively...?[/spoiler] I like it when a LE character gets all riled up.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 08:58:24 PM »
Perhaps he's soaring on [spoiler]the validation from "knowing" that Burke is now very definitely a guilty man who'll go to prison again now, thus proving Roger's story retroactively...?[/spoiler]

Perhaps he's soaring on the combination of pills the doctor gave him--maybe he took them off screen--and the drink he had the moment he walked into Collinwood.

FAREWELL, MAGGIE'S BLOND WIG!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 11:53:59 PM »
Alcohol is a CNS depressant.  The pills were prescribed for bedtime, so they're most likely an opiate (a pain killer such as codeine or morphine), which also are depressants, and not a stimulant such as demerol.  My guess is that Roger is soaring on adrenaline alone.

Online alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »
Roger and Vickie pull up in the Convertible.  It looks like a Chrysler product.  Top down in the night.  It is summer in Collinsport after all.  I noticed Elizabeth called it the Convertible.  Is this the car Carolyn and Vickie drive when the go into town.? It must be because otherwise walking to the bus seems to be the only other option.  Obviously Elizabeth doesn't need a car,  perhaps she bought it for Carolyn.
When Roger was with Burke, it was surprising he didn't take a drink, but then he changes his mind.  That's the Roger I know.
Goodbye last vestige of Eve Arden.  I just watched "The House across the Bay."  and the whole time I thought Joan Bennett could have given her some pointers on how to play the role.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 12:15:41 AM »
Roger again, deciding that he is the law, and he is going to be doing the investigation himself.

Roger really has to make himself right about the fact that Burke is bad.  People try and be critical of  the person that they have done someting bad too.

Roger, really wants to put Burke back in jail.

I realize that in the first part of the show, you saw a the parts of everything, later on the show left many things unsaid. I lost count of how many DS days are we on?  I remember there was 8? shows for one day?

Why doesn't Vicki drive with Rogers arm in a sling? Then a man had to be macho. Also think it is a family trait to have a strong tolerance for alcohol.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 12:19:31 AM »
Does Carolyn drive?  It seems she's always being driven around by Joe or Burke, or bumming rides from Bill.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 12:28:25 AM »
Yes, Carolyn and Vicki drives.

[spoiler]We do find out that Carolyn does, with her famous drive to the restureant, to find burke. [/spoiler]

I think the only person that might not be able to drive is Liz, at least she hasn't driven for years. David, but he would be be dangerous with a car.  [ghost_mad]
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 12:38:29 AM »
Roger really has to make himself right about the fact that Burke is bad.  People try and be critical of the person that they have done something bad to.

Yes, people do that sort of thing a lot.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Does Carolyn drive?  It seems she's always being driven around by Joe or Burke, or bumming rides from Bill.
It seems to me that what happens more than once (though I can't cite episode numbers for you) is that somebody drives into town from Collinwood and gets a lift back from somebody else, leaving the original car stranded.

As DarkLady has noted, Maggie now goes wigless.  Kathryn Leigh Scott said somewhere that one day Dan Curtis saw her own hair, and liked it better than the wig.  I'm wondering about this story.  I think that I have also heard that KLS tried out for the role of Victoria Winters (and at this point I'm thinking she would have been better in the role than Alexandra Moltke, but that's another subject), so Dan Curtis might well have seen KLS's hair before she got the role of Maggie.  Never mind.  At the moment I'm more interested in Maggie than I am in KLS, although KLS is very interesting.

We've got three situational characters: Maggie in the coffee shop, Mr. Wells the hotel clerk, and Bob the Bartender.  Any one of them could become a more prominent character in the show, and I'm rooting for Mr. Wells.  This is despite that fact that I know perfectly well that Maggie's bound for glory and Mr. Wells is not.  Of course, Maggie had an unfair advantage right from the start in the form of a drunken father, but anything can happen on Dark Shadows, and advantages can be thrown away.  (We're watching one being thrown away right now, in the form of Mitchell Ryan as Burke Devlin, but that's a long throw.)  But my understanding is that KLS isn't one to throw away advantages, and furthermore that she'll find advantages where other people saw blank space.  Oops, I said I was interested in Maggie today and not KLS, but I guess KLS is what makes Maggie interesting.

And yet, 45 years later, if you ask the man on the street about Conrad Bain and Kathryn Leigh Scott, he's more likely to have heard of Bain than of Scott.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 02:31:06 AM »
Other then the first episode, this is the first one to open with a shot other then Collinwood- a shot of the ocean.

Post has been merged into the thread for Ep #21.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 04:18:14 AM »
Thanks, loril54!

It seems to me that what happens more than once (though I can't cite episode numbers for you) is that somebody drives into town from Collinwood and gets a lift back from somebody else, leaving the original car stranded.

Do you mean up to this point?, cuz this is how I'd track the trips back and forth so far:

#1 - Vicki rode in Burke's limo to the Inn and took a cab to Collinwood
 #2 - Joe and Carolyn are at the Blue Whale together and he drives her home
 #3 - Roger drove into town, Joe drives back to the bar alone, and Malloy is in town
 #4 - Roger has driven back home
 #5 - Sam is on the Collinwood grounds
 #6 - Sam is back home, Carolyn tells Vicki about the bus into town
 #7 - Roger and Vicki got into town separately
 #8 - Joe drives to Collinwood, Vicki returns with Carolyn's keys
 #9 - Malloy leaves town and heads to Collinwood, and Carolyn asks to ride along with him on his trip back to town
#10 - Burke drives Carolyn home
#12 - Roger is back home
#13 - Burke leaves Collinwood alone
#14 - Burke and Joe are in the Blue Whale, Joe heads to Collinwood to pick Carolyn up and they end up at the Blue Whale
#15 - Roger crashes on the way to town
#16 - Bill and Roger are at the M.D.'s office, Joe leaves the bar and Burke follows after him with Carolyn in tow
#17 - Bill drives to the crash site and then back to the office to bring Roger home, Bill drives back to town
#18 - Roger and Vicki leave for town together
#19 - Malloy checks around town for Carolyn, Joe brings her home
#20 - Roger pulls up at the Inn with Vicki, and they return to Collinwood together

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 07:49:58 AM »
Oh, dear, I'm sorry you went to such trouble, Midnite.  What I had in mind at the time I wrote my comment was a time when Julia got what I perceived to be a wholly unnecessary lift home to Collinwood.  But my impression is that #10 on your list was also an unnecessary lift.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 09:49:47 PM »
It seems to me that Roger WANTS to believe that Burke tried to kill him, and to a degree Elizabeth does too, but each for different reasons.

Elizabeth never fell for Burke's live and let live, all is forgiven attitude and knows he is out to cause trouble and any thing that goes wrong that can be traced to him, that will get him out of their hair forever I think she'd be very happy with, unless proven otherwise. [spoiler] Of course, once it's revealed that David was the one that removed the bleeder valve, she does have conscience enough not to let Burke take the wrap anyway, though she does find a way to keep David out of trouble. [/spoiler]

Roger wants Burke out of his life for good because he knows the longer Burke remains in Collinsport, sooner or later the truth about [spoiler] the manslaughter charge that sent Burke to prison [/spoiler] just might come out. I don't think Roger really cares whether Burke did it or not, the attempt on his life might be, in Roger's view, a blessing in disguise, as it will allow him to remove Burke out of the picture for good this time.