Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0912  (Read 943 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0912
« on: March 27, 2015, 05:36:03 PM »
Robservations #912

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0912

And remember:
Thursday, March 26: No Episode, originally Thursday, December 25, 1969 was Christmas

[8_2_73]    [8_2_77] [8_2_81]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 01:58:52 AM »
Grayson VO.  New misty yellow shot of the whole mansion.  Amy sees the Leviathan in its true form.  I assume.  It could have taken the shape of a heavy-breathing living fire hydrant, for all I know... since I got one of the cheap seats, while Amy is front row center.

Am I sad for Mr. Frid and the adult actors having to treat David Jay as their master?  Maybe.  I wonder if D Jay became a real actor, or a bully...  Alexander and Barnabas argue about who's in control.  This is the downfall of TV power freaks-- they're good at amassing the power, but fight amongst themselves as to who gets to be #1.  Good guys win.  So why don't the good guys always win, because of bad guys squabbling, in reality?  I want to understand the mechanics of dicatorships.  When there are many more in the power structure, internally stable factions can arise...

Are Julia and Stokes friends now?   I missed how Amy got out of the shop.  She can't speak, goes to Chris.  They play Angelique's music for Barnabas trancing Amy out of remembering the panting snake.  He don't need no ugly medallions.

100 YEAR OLD TATE!!!  This is one of my favorite bits of DS.  Did they say where his house is?  Wolf howl in his stranger-repelling sound effects!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 06:42:26 PM »
According to IMDB, David Jay did a few acting gigs, the last one in the late 1980s. Not a household name, though.

A lot of dictatorships win because they tell one or two big lies, usually about "us" versus "them," over and over again until people actually believe them. They also make their opponents disappear, either literally or figuratively. Far too many examples in history.

My guess is that Amy got out of the shop when Alexander allowed her to leave and not a moment before. Poor little thing!

I don't think Stokes and Julia have ever not been friends, have they? It's just that Julia has had to put so much work into shielding Barnabas. But they do know how to work together anyway.

While poor Amy waits at the cottage for Chris, someone enters, and she puts her hands up to her face in case she has to start screaming again. Luckily it's Chris, and she throws herself into his arms, but she's still speechless with fright. Julia arrives and sends Chris to find David. Then Barnabas shows up, at his very very worst. He leaves after hypnotizing Amy into forgetting-- well, whatever she saw. Chris returns, and Julia realizes that part of Amy's problem was that she saw Quentin.

Stokes says that Professor Osmund has confirmed that Julia's painting is also a Tate and that Harrison Monroe is alive and living in Cornith (what he says) Bend.

Once again, Barnabas reprimands Alexander and says he's sure that Amy will become one of "us" when she opens the box. Chris brings her back to the Great House, and she finally returns Carolyn's photo to Alexander with a very humble apology as Barnabas beams with approval. (JF is really good at these icky moments. I remember reading somewhere that he told the writers, Don't write the evil. I'll play the evil.)

Julia has found Harrison Monroe’s cottage and knocks on the door. The entrance is so overgrown with shrubbery that at first she doesn’t see the source of the booming, amplified voice that tells her to go away. She looks up to see a huge loudspeaker and tells it, I’ve come to see Harrison Monroe. Dogs bark through the speaker as the voice repeats its command. Julia tries one last time and says, I have a message for Mr. Monroe--from Mr. Delaware Tate. The speaker doesn’t respond, and Julia has just turned away when the front door opens creakily. She enters the house, and the door closes creakily behind her......

[The voice of Harrison Monroe is supplied by [spoiler]Ed Riley, soon to appear as the ill-fated Sheriff Davenport.[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 07:49:37 AM »
A lot of dictatorships win because they tell one or two big lies, usually about "us" versus "them," over and over again until people actually believe them. They also make their opponents disappear, either literally or figuratively. Far too many examples in history.

That's all true, but it's the part we know about.  I'm talking about parts I never hear addressed, such as - how do selfish, power-oriented types cooperate well enough to keep a dictatorship going, instead of eating each other alive trying to be #1, as the bad guys do on TV, which is actually a reasonable thing to expect?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 11:15:21 AM »
Back in 1982, David Jay appeared at the Magique disco in NYC with Jonathan Frid to promote the local NBC station's running of DS. I wasn't in fandom yet but there is a video of this on YouTube.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 03:53:26 PM »
Thanks, Unc. Here's the link. David Jay is at the very end of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyMof1cbWZ0

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 05:19:45 PM »
I think that David Jay had been tracked to Australia at one point but the trail ended there some years ago. Assuming that it's the same David Jay of course, providing that is even his real name.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
I wonder if David Jay just happened to be in the audience or if perhaps he specifically showed up for Frid's appearance - as in, he probably wasn't scheduled to appear with Jonathan. I didn't listen to the video. Perhaps I should, lol. I am also wondering if it's his video, being it is jayteevideo's.

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »
I'm not 100% sure but I thought that David was invited to surprise Jonathan. Jaytee video is operated by Joe Integlia, whose posts here on occasion.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline dom

• Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 09:20:25 PM »
Thanks, Unc. I really didn't want to listen to it. ;)

Offline Uncle Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 09:25:30 PM »
The sound quality is not good, so you wouldn't be able to decipher much anyway.
Fade Away and Radiate