Author Topic: Dark Shadows Collectiables  (Read 2693 times)

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Dark Shadows Collectiables
Dark Shadows Collectiables
« on: February 14, 2004, 03:52:39 AM »
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287775863    Hope this works...These are some of my DS collectiable' pictures I have on Imaginestation. I will be adding more soon. -robert

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Dark Shadows Collectiables
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 04:01:44 AM »
coteriemc, there's no need to use the ftp tags, and actually they're not for creating links.  You can type the url without any tags, or use these
Code: [Select]
[url][/url]Thanks!  :)

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 04:07:50 AM »
Thank you again Midnite, hope you can view the pictures.   BTW you did an awesome job on my avatar, looks great.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 04:51:26 AM »
It's GREAT stuff!  Nice pictures, too.  I went the slide show route.  :)

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 05:03:06 AM »
Thats the best way to view them Midnite, Its a pretty good site for downloading and saving pictures. plus its free,  I must have well over 200 photos stored.  I will be adding more collectiable pictures as well as the ones I took of  "collinwood"  in 1993, over the weekend. 

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 05:05:39 AM »
Thanks for sharing a look-see of some of your collection, Robert. There is a lot of stuff in your photo album I've never seen before, it was a real treat!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 04:21:21 PM »
Some wonderful stuff there, Robert.  :)

Re: the Italian hoDS posters - I've always hated how some of the movie's publicity materials gave away too many important plot points, like the posters depicting Stokes as a vampire and Willie getting shot by the arrow. Sheesh! Talk about ruining things for the audience.  :(
(But then, the worst offender is probably the hoDS trailer that manages to give away EVERY surprise (it's available on the laserdisc). Whoever put that one together had to have been a complete idiot!!)

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how so many pieces of DS memorabilia have incresed in value. For example: back in September of 1973 I bought the hods and Nods pressbooks for $2.75 each and the full set of lobbycards for $5.50 each from a place called The Cinema Attic (which is sadly no longer in business) in Philadelphia and I've seen those things go for as much as 60 times that!! If I'd only been smart enough to grab up every piece of DS memorabilia I could get my hands on instead of buying only one peice of each, I might be a millionaire now if I'd become a dealer instead of a collector purely for my own enjoyment.  [lghy]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 04:50:56 PM »

If I'd only been smart enough to grab up every piece of DS memorabilia I could get my hands on instead of buying only one peice of each, I might be a millionaire now if I'd become a dealer instead of a collector purely for my own enjoyment.  [lghy]

.... I see you demanding a home-visit and several affidavits of good character before parting with any of your collection, no matter HOW many items you had.  You wouldn't be rich, Pepe, you'd be tripping over the stuff!  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004, 05:07:45 PM »
As shocking as you might find it, Rainey, back in the '90s I actually sold several pieces of my extra DS stuff on eBay - duplicate sets of the pink and green card sets (which netted me $400 and $350, respectively), a duplicate set of the 1897 posters ($225), a set of 30 of the Ross novels ($180), a few items from the 1968 DS fan club - the book cover, a sheet of Barnabas stamps, and a calendar ($150), the empty boxes for the pink and green card sets ($100), a set of Quentin postcards ($70), and a set of wrappers from the pink, green and 1897 poster sets ($60). All told, a nifty sum of $1,535 - about a 5,280% profit!!  (It paid nicely to get in before the current glut of DS merchandise became available on eBay.  :))

No home-visits or affidavits of good character were required. [lghy]

But I would NEVER sell anything that wasn't a duplicate of something that I already had.  ;)

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 10:54:13 AM »
Mysterious Benefactor, where was I when you were selling this stuff!!!  Wow..those gum card box's were hard to come by back then.  i would have probably given you my entire paycheck for one.  no kidding, i payed $450 for a full box of Quentin postcards. and those Italian posters...i won't even get into what i pay for them.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2004, 01:48:36 PM »
Mysterious Benefactor, where was I when you were selling this stuff!!!

Were you online back in 1997?

Wow..those gum card box's were hard to come by back then.

Believe it or not, the card boxes I sold had been sitting in my mom's house at the bottom of my old wardrobe since the late '60s. They were covered by an ESP game and some '70s issues of Rolling Stone magazine, all of which were protected by a bunch of shirts that I hadn't worn in more than 20 years - and wouldn't be caught dead in today!  [lghy]

i would have probably given you my entire paycheck for one.  no kidding

Well, too bad you missed out. Too bad for both of us, actually, because I might have made a lot more money on the deal and you might have saved some.  [b003]

Interestingly, we might have actually crossed paths because in one of your earlier posts you mentioned that the 1989 NY Fest was the last one you've attended and that was the first one I ever attended. If you were at the Red Zone party, then we most probably would have at least seen each other because I think there were just about 250 fans there that night.  ;)

i payed $450 for a full box of Quentin postcards.

Whoa!!  [shockeyes]

and those Italian posters...i won't even get into what i pay for them.

If you bought them back in the DS Collectibles days (rather than online) I can just imagine what you paid. Some of the prices were ridiculously astronomical back then!!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 04:06:46 AM »
I don't know what makes the David Selby cards more collectible and nostalgic - the fact that they're Dark Shadows cards, or they have the word "groovy".  We'll have to watch for cards from the '91 series with "rad" emblazoned across the box.

Gerard

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 07:05:01 AM »
Mysterious  Benefactor,  I did not go to the 1989 DS Red Zone party, I believe that was held the night before the festival.  i went to the festival on saturday, thats when we found out  that MPI was releasing DS on video . also remember that Roger Davis wasn't on the news flyer the festival sent me, but he showed up anyways with Marie Wallace.  they spent time talking to everybody that was in line waiting to go in. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 03:18:49 PM »
also remember that Roger Davis wasn't on the news flyer the festival sent me, but he showed up anyways with Marie Wallace.  they spent time talking to everybody that was in line waiting to go in.

Well, we still may have crossed paths because I was waiting in line for the doors to open that morning. (Don't remind me about RD, but) I had a nice moment with Marie. During the Red Zone party I'd spent about 20 minutes talking with her about everything from DS to her time on Somerset as socialite India Delaney. When Marie spotted me in the line she greeted me as if I was some long lost friend. It was both flattering and a bit embarrassing because people were like "Who the hell is he?"  [lghy]  But from what I've observed through the years, that's just Marie's way - unless maybe they're some crazed stalker, whenever she comes across almost any fans that she knows, she seems to always treat them as if they're her long lost friends. :)

I did not go to the 1989 DS Red Zone party

As for the Red Zone party, it's too bad you didn't attend. I realize that I might be prejudiced because it was the first Fest event that I ever attended, but it was an incredible experience. A night of drinking and dancing in the old DS studio, complete with about 10 DS stars who were willing to make themselves completely available to fans. Fans weren't herded through autograph lines with, at best, 3 minutes to talk to each star. The stars and fans mingled, talked, danced, and drank completely as one group. As much fun as I've had at other Fest events, for me it was an experience that's never been equalled...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2004, 03:50:17 PM »
Sorry....have to ask......what does "Red Zone" refer to?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas