Author Topic: Prof. Stokes' "Flat"  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Prof. Stokes' "Flat"
« on: May 23, 2003, 01:23:33 AM »
A while ago there was a discussion -- I think I started it -- about Professor Timothy Eliot Stokes' living quarters.

I was trying to figure out if Stokes lived in an apartment and I think my conclusion was that he did; others disagreed, believing it to be a house.

In one of yesterday's episodes, in talking about her father's death, Carolyn referred to Professor Stokes' "flat."

Julia Hoffman also used the same designation in a recent opening voice over.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Also, it's odd that they would use a British term, isn't it?  Or do they call apartments "flats" in New England?

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Prof. Stokes' "Flat"
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 01:33:06 AM »
Also, it's odd that they would use a British term, isn't it?  Or do they call apartments "flats" in New England?

Not in any parts of NE that I'm aware of - and I've lived here for more than 40 years...

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 01:40:29 AM »
Not in any parts of NE that I'm aware of - and I've lived here for more than 40 years...

:)

I've always liked the term "flat," though.  I think I was introduced to it when reading one of my favorite children's novels, "The Hundred and One Dalmations" by Dodie Smith.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 02:15:24 AM »
Well, no idea about the New England terms for apartments. Here in Buffalo, we have "uppers" and "lowers" and when they're used in context of real estate, they have nothing to do with drugs ;)

I was one of the people who thought Stokes had a house, but I've come around to your way of thinking.

BTW, Dodie Smith--have you read I Capture the Castle yet? Great book and they're making it into a movie :)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline sheenasma

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 02:47:46 AM »
I live in what is technically a flat....one of those turn of the century "three flatters", but everyone says apartment....and I am in Maine.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2003, 02:49:57 AM »
The term "flat" that I am familiar with is: a two story house for two separate families. Each family lives in a "flat".  It consists of one main front entrance that leads to a foyer with a door to lower flat and stairs to upper flat.  Each flat usually consists of a living room, dining room, kitchen w/pantry and either 2 or 3 small bedrooms,  and a bathroom. Rear foyer is smaller with exit door from first floor and stairs from second floor that exit onto a back porch. The attic and cellar could be shared.  These houses sometimes came with a small backyard and detached 2 car garage.
   This is the type of house that I grew up and lived in for 25 years in upstate NY.

carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2003, 03:02:17 AM »
Looks like my previous reply crossed path's with Carol's most interesting explanation.  At first I was going to say, "That's a duplex!" ... but upon reading further, I'd have to say "Hmmmm!"  I'm not familiar with the type of house you describe.

If that's what Stokes has, whom do you suppose is the other occupant???

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2003, 04:04:29 AM »
My father often referred to one particular residence of his childhood in Queens, NY as "The Flats".  It was a multi-storied building with what's usually referred to as "railroad" flats: full-floor apartments, in which each room opened on to the next, from the front to the back of the building, with no hallways.  This was the early 1900's.

Today, those railroad flats have probably been turned into 'lofts' and sold for a half-a-million a piece.  ::)

As for why they used the term 'flat' on DS.....it was the late 60's/early 70's.  Flying to London cost less than driving to Florida.  Lots and lots of New Yorkers went over and came back with British clothes, hair styles, expressions and accents.   
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2003, 07:53:39 AM »
They use to use the term "Flat" years ago and it was used alot when the immigrants first arrived over in this country.   I remember reading up on my Father's side of the family history when his parents first arrived over here from Italy.  In one of the paragraph's it read "they had found rooms and were living in a "cold water Flat.,"  which meant an apartment with only cold water available and no hot water as of yet.

They used this term alot to describe the living conditions of the early immigrants in the early 1900's arriving in New York.

Cassandra
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Ben

• Full Poster
  • That night must go ... nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2003, 02:01:49 PM »

Are you sure you haven't been living a sheltered life out there, MB?  ;D

I guess I didn't realize that the term is so regional.  Here in Chicago, older, smaller apartment buildings are referred to as "two-flats," "three-flats," etc.   Each flat would occupy the entire floor of the building.

But it was a nice, subtle touch for the writers to use an English reference to describe the living quarters of the erudite Professor Stokes.  I mean, would any of us be comfortable hearing Julia or Barnabas say, "I'm heading over to Prof. Stokes' pad ..."?

Ben

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2003, 02:25:22 PM »
Looks like my previous reply crossed path's with Carol's most interesting explanation.  At first I was going to say, "That's a duplex!" ... but upon reading further, I'd have to say "Hmmmm!"  I'm not familiar with the type of house you describe.

A duplex is a side-by-side two family house but in this case it is one flat on top of another.  My parents & aunt/uncle bought the house in the 40's(it had been built in the late 1890's or early 1900's, I'm not sure which). My parents lived downstairs while my aunt/uncle lived upstairs. All the rooms flowed into one another except the bedrooms. One bedroom was off the dining room while two were off the kitchen.  I did find a real estate website showing these types of house so will find it again and post it here.
carolinamooon

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2003, 02:30:24 PM »
Here's the website that I found that shows what two family homes are:

www.gaetanorealty.com/two-fam.html

Each family has a "flat".
carolinamooon

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
MOVED: Re:Prof. Stokes' Flat
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2003, 03:33:25 PM »
I think the Professor's flat is something that today would be called a condo.

And read what else Gothic had to say in the newly created topic I Capture the Castle & other assorted stories on the Calendar Events / Announcements '03 board.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2003, 03:40:11 PM »
i'm with MB!i also have lived in NE all my life and we call them
apartments or duplexs(side by side) by as Steve
pointed out lately they been named condos which
i feel is just to up the price! in Prime Suspect they
call flats something else but it escapes me now!

jennifer
do believe Eliot lived in apartment
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2003, 03:43:33 PM »
Another New Englander here.   Never called flats just apartments, duplexes, condos and dumps.