Author Topic: The existence of the HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS long version  (Read 8799 times)

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The existence of the HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS long version
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2002, 01:10:03 AM »
Well Darren, my sister said she knew of several times that film rights had been licensed out by Warner for projects.  However, she also said that she had heard the same policy that you mentioned repeated, but it always seems to come from the Home Video Division.  It apparently is their standard answer when approached on the issue, but she said  there is apparently no such policy and that she knew, first hand, of people getting licensing agreement made with Warner on material they owned.   She said they want all the money they can get, but apparently certain people in the Home Video Division didn't get that memo.  Since it can be done, despite what some people say in Home Video, there is obviously a channel that has to be used to get such a thing done,  but it is not one widely known, or is one that for reason's known only to the Home Video Division, they try to keep people from.    To me, it sounds like your original stradegy of trying different avenues through Warner is the way to go and eventually it might lead to getting the okay.

Richard Holt

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2002, 05:02:44 PM »
Although I have nothing new to contribute to this discussion, I must say I find all of this fascinating.  I hope you will all continue to share information here in this public forum.  It makes for sad but instructive reading.  

Darren, have you tried getting any Catholic friends of yours to say a prayer to St. Anthony of Padua for the hoDS footage?  I've heard that if it is anywhere, St. Anthony will find it!  

Best wishes,

Steve

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: The existence of the HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS long version
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2002, 07:03:38 AM »
Darren, have you tried getting any Catholic friends of yours to say a prayer to St. Anthony of Padua for the hoDS footage?  I've heard that if it is anywhere, St. Anthony will find it!

you know Steve i never believed that (Not being a religious person)but after looking for a diamond for a week finally gave in to my mother's pleas to pray to him!

i found it an hour later Pretty spooky to me1

good luck darren anyway1

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline The Cryptkeeper

• Dark Shadows fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2002, 04:33:51 AM »

I've read about this on House of Dark Shadows website a long while ago.  I do hope that someone will locate the deleted scenes and maybe have an uncut HODS on DVD! Thatb would be sweet... ;D

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2002, 04:43:12 AM »

And while you're at it, Darren, include St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes in those prayers.  My Mom went to her grave thanking St. Jude for bringing my brother home from Vietnam.

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2002, 06:42:32 PM »
Thanks to some new reports, here's the latest listing of scenes exclusive to the lost 102 min cut of HODS.

MAGGIE EXPLORES HOUSE/DAVID HANGING SCENE

Barnabas' second attack on Carolyn is more savage, with another shot or two of her violent struggles.

ROGER, STOKES OPEN CAROLYN'S COFFIN AND FIND IT EMPTY. LIZ DISCOVERS THEM AND HITS THE ROOF.

Another stake hit in the Carolyn staking scene, with some of the blood hitting the lens.

More graphic strangling of Julia, with more of Barnabas throttling her (as can be seen in a production still).

Lingering shot of old Barnabas shlurping blood at Maggie's neck before pulling away and turning young.

WILLIE TELLS ALL TO STOKES

Adds both character, story AND violent nastiness. Did this version survive being mulched? Only time will tell...

Offline DrJulia

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas, Bramwell, I still love him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2002, 06:02:05 PM »
Hey, Darren Gross-

I have a friend in Japan and she may be able to help me track down the Japanese version of HODS.

I'll see what I can do! :D

-DrJulia
Julia Hoffman FOREVER!!!

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2002, 11:35:37 AM »
Great!

Let me know if you find out anything!

Darren

P.S. Did you get my instant message? I sent it way back when you first posted...

Offline DrJulia

• Junior Poster
  • Barnabas, Bramwell, I still love him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2002, 04:23:57 PM »
P.S. Did you get my instant message? I sent it way back when you first posted...

Sorry...I did get your i/m. Haven't found anything out yet. I'll post when I do.
Julia Hoffman FOREVER!!!

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2002, 10:04:37 AM »
Hi folks.

A little bit of info has come to light. I just received one of the original Japanese movie program booklets for HODS. The booklet lists the following film info, which I translated: "1970: YEAR OF PRODUCTION, RUNNING TIME: 1 hr 41 mins."

Seeing that in print, in actual studio publicity material for the Japanese release confirms previously received information that the longer cut I've been searching for runs between 101 and 102 mins.

The length of the film as copyrighted by the Library of Congress in 1970 is 102 mins, so the film most likely runs 101 mins and several seconds. Different publications, reviews, and countries either round the seconds up or down. That explains the one minute discrepancy here and the listings in other reviews of 96 mins instead of 97. (The film runs 96.50).

I should be receiving a copy of the Japanese VHS release within the next few weeks, but it's both subtitled and packaged in similar style to the 1983 UK PAL release, so it's doubtful the tape includes any additional footage. I'll post when I know.

According to the booklet, the film was released by TOHO/MGM in Japan, so I'll have to inquire with TOHO ('Eastern Treasures') them whether they have any prints left or not. Japanese studios are notoriously difficult and uncommunicative when it comes to providing information on film elements or the elements themselves. Every US studio, (espec. MGM and Criterion recently) has major problems in this regard and are rarely given access to the best elements or even told that they are available....

I wasn't even able to get the Japanese Modern art museum to respond to my inquiry...

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2002, 10:41:50 AM »
Hi folks.

I've received and evaluated the Japanese video release of HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS. Sadly, it's of the 97 min version, featuring video-generated subtitles.

There's a full report and cover image at the website http://www.nightofdarkshadows.com

D

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2002, 11:20:02 PM »
There's a full report and cover image at the website

Hmmm - why does that cover remind me more of Night of the Living Dead than HODS?  :D

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2002, 11:23:50 AM »
Since I've gotten nowhere in regards to the longer Japanese HODS print, I'm considering making a trip to Japan to talk to some collectors and archivists and to track down some leads. A friend has some film collector acquaintances over there and two contacts with Toho who I should be able to get meetings with.

This all comes out of my own pocket, so if all goes well, I might be able to go around March or April, hopefully in time for the cherry blossom festivals.

We'll have to see how things develop.

D

Offline Bouchard

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique Bouchard is the BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2002, 04:39:13 AM »
1. I wish I could watch this! (I think it airs on TCM this December. It's either this one or 'Night of Dark Shadows')
2.I wish I could watch the long version when I do end up seein it.

There's now something in my signature, because I do want something in my signature

~~BrandonBouchard

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:The existence of the HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS long version
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2003, 01:34:40 AM »
It's been awhile.

Looks like the Japan trip will have to wait until the fall 2003 or 2004.

On the positive front the head of Warner Home Video, Warren Lieberfarb (the man responsible for WHVs narrow-minded marketing eye and one of DVDs biggest credit hogs) resigned a few months ago. Whether this will lead to more positive action from that department remains to be seen. His replacement is Jim Cardwell who we've spoken to about the project before. Hopefully this will be step in the right direction.

D