Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0282  (Read 758 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0282
« on: August 22, 2012, 06:14:17 AM »
Robservations - #282

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0282

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 07:28:39 AM »
I've surely said this before, but I love scenes with Grayson Hall and Kathryn Leigh Scott together.  Two very different voices, two very different appearances, complementing each other nicely.

Dear me, what's wrong with putting flowers on somebody’s grave?  Wasn't I asking that same sort of question about the costume party?  Things are happening here that seem like very normal things, and yet people keep objecting to them.  Surely the writers themselves thought these things were normal too.  How did they feel, turning ordinary events into spooky things?  They're writers; I suppose it was fun to twist things around that way.  But couldn't they have come up with anything more convincing?  On the other hand, if it were more convincing, maybe they'd have to call in Sheriff Patterson or something, and that's not the intended atmosphere.  It does seem that Vicky is slowly being drawn into something or other, little by little.  And I'm thinking: I just might like Vicky better if she turns into Josette.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 03:11:42 PM »
Dear me, what's wrong with putting flowers on somebody’s grave?   

Nothing at all wrong with it. Why Vicki needs an entire day off to do so makes no sense, though. Why couldn't she do it on her lunch hour?
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 03:50:24 PM »
Maggie may be slowly coming out of her regression to childhood, so why does she STILL have to wear a nightgown? Or is Julia afraid that if Maggie is in street clothes, she'll try to escape?

It's very nice to see Elizabeth being so chipper, but this being the Dark Shadows universe, it's sure not to last. Vicki disregards her sensible advice and plays the music box some more.

When Vicki goes to the Old House to return Josette's gown, she laments to Willie, I still think I ruined the party. With massive understatement, Willie tells her, It wasn’t your fault. He’s just kind of strange that way.

Vicki does ask for only an hour off to lay flowers on Josette's grave. She tells Elizabeth she'll get Burke to take her, but why can't she go alone? She must know how to drive, since she's gone to Collinsport any number of times--unless she's the world's greatest hiker.

Beneath her cool and detached manner, Julia really does want to help Maggie regain her memory. But poor Maggie gets upset all over again when Julia suggests going to the cemetery.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 05:40:28 PM »
Vicki does ask for only an hour off to lay flowers on Josette's grave. She tells Elizabeth she'll get Burke to take her, but why can't she go alone? She must know how to drive, since she's gone to Collinsport any number of times--unless she's the world's greatest hiker.
I think Carolyn let Vicky use her car the second day Vicky was there.

What a pity Frank Garner wasn't around.  He would have understood.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 12:47:56 AM »
Maggie remembers tinkling music and then the scene cuts to Vickie playing the music box. Tomorrow is revealed to be Josettes birthday when she was given the box.   Maggie reveals she fears the cemetery and Vickie longs to go there to place flowers on the graves.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:30:39 AM »
You'll get no argument from me that Burke is a bit too controlling (and he'll get a bit worse as time goes on) but I have to admit he does have a point. I mean, Vicki only knows Josette's ghost, not the actual woman herself in the flesh. [spoiler] And ironically when Vicki does meet her as a living breathing person in 1795, Josette eventually becomes her enemy, siding with Trask against her. [/spoiler]

Maggie was someone, a real flesh-and-blood woman that Vicki met, grew to know on a daily basis, and became close friends with. As far as putting flowers on the grave of a late friend, I think Maggie would have been a more suitable and certainly more understandable choice. Although it might have put a monkey wrench in the whole Maggie-is-dead hoax. Unless Sam sprung for a fake grave and fake tombstone, which I doubt he would have had the money for.

Maggie clearly does not want to go to the cemetary and I'm not sure that Julia is right to subject her to it anyway. Then again I can't say with total conviction that she's wrong either. I guess that's why Julia has the medical degree and I...don't.