Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0278  (Read 694 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Discuss - Ep #0278
« on: August 16, 2012, 06:44:52 AM »
Robservations - #278

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0278

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 07:52:48 AM »
When I went to the Shiloh National Military Park ten years ago, there were a couple of soldier's jackets in the visitors center for people to put on.  I put one on, a Union one.  And then I took it off, and went to see the film.  There was a re-enactment of a part of the battle in the film, and when I saw the Union re-enacters in their jackets, I had a feeling of "Oh, I remember wearing that jacket" - as if I were a remembering a jacket of my own - which made me feel as if I had been one of the soldiers that the guys were re-enacting.  It was a strange, eerie feeling.  So maybe Elizabeth wasn't so far off the mark when she worried about getting too close to her ancestors.  But if I had a dress that had belonged to my great-great-great grandmother Lydia, and I thought it might fit me, I would put it on, to see what it felt like.  Then again, I know that my great-great-great grandmother Lydia was a good person, who was nice to her mother.  I wouldn't be so sure about any given Collins ancestor.

Somewhere in the DVDs there's a bit of an interview with Sam Hall, in which he mentions talking to Joan Bennett, as she put the finishing touches on her period get-up when the show was in one of the time-travelling storylines.  He said, if I recall correctly, that Bennett said she loved the dressing up.  I hope today's lines amused her.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:27:37 PM »
So, Lydia, you really had a great-great-great grandmother also named Lydia? How wonderful that you know so much about her! And that's a great anecdote about the army jacket at Shiloh. I'm sure that what you felt is also a huge motivation for all those reenacters. I once ran into a group of Civil War reenacters in New Jersey, where they were camping out in a spot overlooking the Hudson, and they were certainly giving it their all, with period tents, rations, etc.

I also was entirely convinced by Elizabeth's feelings about wearing her ancestor's gown. And thanks for mentioning the interview with Sam Hall.

Following orders, Willie has brought down the trunk with all the costumes. The first thing Barnabas takes out is Josette's gown--which was lying on the bed in the last episode. Willie is full of misgivings about the whole idea and even daringly tells Barnabas that Vicki never hurt anybody--nobody [meaning Barnabas] should hurt her. Of course this doesn't win him any points with Barnabas.

After her initial hesitation at the end of the last episode, Vicki is full of enthusiasm for the idea. Barnabas very wisely allows her to plead his case to Elizabeth.

When Vicki is looking through the costumes at the Old House, Barnabas implies that Josette's gown is the one she is wearing in the portrait over the mantel--even though the portrait dress has long, fitted sleeves and the gown has short, puffy ones. Perhaps vampirism has dulled his fashion sense.

We get our first hint of the existence of Millicent Collins when Vicki spots the initials "M.C." in the lining of another dress. Vicki IDs a man's jacket as Jeremiah's, knowing that he was Josette's husband--and Barnabas hastily puts the jacket aside. Vicki likes the idea of becoming Josette--at least for one evening.

But best of all is Sarah, who plays with her ball in Josette's room just before Barnabas and Vicki arrive. The room seems unoccupied when they enter, but Barnabas tenses, feeling that someone or something is in the room with them (nice bit by JF). Vicki has the same impression.

After Vicki takes Josette's dress away with her, Barnabas lingers in Josette's room, playing the music box and doing his best to contradict Vicki's statement that he will never find the past. As he sets it down on the dressing table, his reflection is clearly visible in the mirror! But he gets angry when Willie spots the little girl's dress and starts talking about Sarah, even describing her long hair. First Barn calls it ridiculous, then moves it up a notch to preposterous, then gets angry.

How poignant that after Barnabas and Willie leave, Sarah returns and finds her pretty blue dress!

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 06:14:36 AM »
Oh, yum. Willie is wearing his turtleneck and tight, tight pants. Looks like his wallet is going to explode.

"You're beginning to irritate me." It never ceases to amaze me how much Willie pushes Barnabas when he is so scared of him. Yet, he keeps it up.

Barn asks Vicki to compare Josette's dress to the portrait, saying they're exactly alike. Not.

You can see Barn's reflection in Josette's mirror. Another faux paux. (sp)

I wonder why Barnabas didn't think to have the clothes laundered. Surely they must have collected dust and mildew over the years. And they're all willing to put them on. I would have serious reservations about wearing 200 year old clothing.

Actually, there's a wonderful story in one of the Karlenzines about this very thing. Willie has to bring the clothes to be laundered and mended.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 06:21:50 AM »
Whoops. Forgot my favorite line,

Barn: "I have other things for you other than to make preposterous statements."
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »
I'm slowing watching the eps. (starting with the arrival of Barnabas) on streaming Netflix, but haven't caught up to the Watching Project yet. Willie's outfit is something to look forward to!

Maybe Barnabas had Willie clean the costumes using eighteenth-century methods before he took them to Collinwood.

And yes, for someone who's supposedly under a vampire's control, Willie certainly is very bold!

I do have one more note from my notes: At the start of the closing credits, a stagehand walks behind the curtains of Josette’s room in our first walk-on role.  [ghost_cheesy]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 11:16:55 PM »
I have to say Willie made a good point, about the party encouraging others to come visit the house more often. Barnabas intends on enlisting a better replacement for his lost Josette, and if he succeeds this time, the last thing he would want is getting unannounced and unwanted visitors, even if they are family, come visiting his humble abode at any time, especially during the day. Barnabas of course won't listen.

I also admire Willie's concern for Vicki, given it wasn't so long ago he wouldn't have minded getting a piece of her himself. I know it sounds crude, but let's face it before he was enslaved that's exactly what he was. Happy to see one good thing happened to him since becoming Barnabas' slave, he's a lot more considerate and concerned for other people.

I envy you Lydia, knowing a lot about your ancestors. Sadly I can't say the same. I don't blame Elizabeth for being a bit concerned about wearing the dress either. Vicki in the previous episode seemed a bit reluctant when Barnabas said she would be dressed as Josette, but in here she's full of enthusiasm of the idea.

Sarah is such a sweet little girl! Loved it when she's elated about finding her dress.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 12:15:48 AM »
I had to laugh at the idea that the house is restored, when the frint hall as torn dirty wallpaper and holes. Way to make a good forst impression and really beyond clearing the cobwebs and trash, the drawing room is the same. 
Barnabas and Willie quarrel over the party like an old married couple who have been together so long they are afraid to go find a better life.  Barnabas apparently want to recreate the past in an idealized way without Jeremiah.  I keep wondering if Josette was really as in love as he thinks.
Sarah's delight at finding her Blue dress is so sad. She seems to be searching for her lost past just as Barnabas.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times