Author Topic: Helena Bonham Carter appearance  (Read 770 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Helena Bonham Carter appearance
« on: December 14, 2012, 01:53:17 AM »
Helena Bonharm-Carter appeared in a November 2012 episode of the Graham Norton Show.  The episode is available for viewing here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=hzaB2Pf1SzY&NR=1

Soon after HBC comes out there is a brief discussion of DS and the two male guests (Michael Buble and some rather twee comedian named something Whitehouse) rave about how much they both loved the film.

Helena also discusses her current release--she plays Miss Havisham in a new film version of Great Expectations, the Dickens novel.  I have always thought that was one of the inspirations for the original concept of DS.  In the novel, Miss Havisham has not left her home for many years because her bridegroom ran out, leaving her alone at the altar.  She wears a decaying wedding dress, lives in a Victorian gothic palace festooned with cobwebs and decayed finery, and keeps the banqueting hall as it was when laid for the wedding feast, with rats crawling in and out of what's left of her wedding cake and the other goodies.

G.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Helena Bonham Carter appearance
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 11:24:42 PM »
That's an interesting point you make about the similarities between Elizabeth and Miss Havesham.  I'm surprised to find this new film exists, however; a really good tv miniseries (with Gillian Anderson playing that role) was released just last year.  Kind of overkill. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Helena Bonham Carter appearance
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 04:25:32 AM »
Yeah, Graham mentioned how many times it has been filmed, and HBC failed to reference both the version you mention, and the one with Ethan Hawke where it was updated to modern times.

G.