Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #272 -- 2013 DS Cruise  (Read 4366 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
ShadowGram Update #272 -- 2013 DS Cruise
« on: November 01, 2012, 07:14:53 AM »
SHADOWGRAM OFFICIAL ONLINE DARK SHADOWS NEWS UPDATE
ShadowGram@aol.com

Update Number 272.
October 30, 2012
Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,
ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS) announces the following breaking news in this Official Online News Update "bulletin."

***** SHADOWGRAM PREMIERE ANNOUNCEMENT
The Dark Shadows Festival cast/crew reunions & fan conventions ask ShadowGram to make this first official announcement.
DARK SHADOWS FESTIVAL PRESENTS
"THE DARK SHADOWS CRUISE"
DS BY OCEAN & ISLAND
"To celebrate 30 years of the Dark Shadows Festival, the first-ever Dark Shadows cruise event will be held from October 27-November 3, 2013.
"DARK SHADOWS AT SEA - A FALL GETAWAY" will depart from the New York City area and set sail for the beautiful island of Bermuda.
"Hosted by original DS actresses LARA PARKER (Angelique) and KATHRYN LEIGH SCOTT (Maggie/Josette), the special theme cruise will feature DS performances, screenings, autographs, question-and-answer sessions, group activities, games, contests, and tours of Bermuda.
"More details will be announced soon via these SG Official Online DS News Updates, including information regarding a discount rate available for early, advance reservations for stateroom sleeping quarters at a reduced amount, which also covers all meals for the entire week of travel. Participants will also receive unique Dark Shadows souvenirs.
"Further information about the Cruise may also be received by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) to
Dark Shadows At Sea
P.O. Box 92
Maplewood, NJ 07040

---- PLEASE NOTE:
SG will make future premiere announcements and report confirmed developments about the "DS At Sea Cruise," as well as other Fest news and detailed DS-related news, in the published SG Official Published DS Newsletters and through the SG Official Online News Updates via the SG YahooGroup..
YahooGroup membership information is at the top of this Update and also in a section near the end, or please contact Marcy Robin directly at ShadowGram@aol.com

**** PLEASE NOTE: Brief email Updates like this one are * NOT * the actual Official DS Newsletter. The Official DS Newsletters are the published SG print issues that expand and explain every short Online News Update post.
The next ShadowGram Newsletter - the Double SG #122-#123 print issue - is underway and will be sent via postal-mail to all current subscribers when it is published. Its release will be announced in a SG Online Update via the SG Yahoo Group.
The postal-mail edition is available by paid subscription, noted below. Each print issue provides specific detailed information, exclusive/rare photos, media coverage - all much more than these brief email key-news Updates.

Marcy Robin
ShadowGram Editor / Publisher

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #272 -- 2013 DS Cruise
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:42:50 AM »
How ironic!  The only time I attended a DS Festival was right after docking in NYC from a cruise to Bermuda!

I hope many get a chance to go on this Festival cruise.  Bermuda is a wonderful place.  Lots is within walking distance and the beaches are pristine. 

Gerard

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »
YAY!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »
I  love  the  carribean  alot !   Sounds  good  right now  to get from the cold here.
               Love  Anne [hall2_kiss]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 12:36:53 AM »
For anyone here who is contemplating doing this wonderful cruise/Festival, and has never done a cruise before, may I give some advice?

First, all passenger ships are equipped with stabalizers to minimize rolling/pitching (the side-to-side, or bow to stern tossing during heavy weather).  However, no ship is completely immune from rough seas.  If one thinks he/she may be inclinded to mal-de-mar (seasickness), for most Dramamine (when taken according to directions) is enough.  But for some, the trandserm patch is necessary.  I love being on ships and have done enough cruises/transatlantic crossings and, despite that, I get seasick when I shower or stir my coffee too fast.  The transderm patch works wonders and I've never had a bout of mal-de-mar every time I've used it.  It's available only through prescription.  But it works; trust me, it works.  When I did my Bermuda cruise, the water was pristine and glass-like but that doesn't insure that the DS cruise will be.  I'm just warning you. 

Second, when you book a cruise, virtually everything is paid for, from cabin to food to many beverages, but not all.  It is customary to tip, from your cabin steward to your dining room steward to the bartenders.  To make it now easier, tips are automatically included on your shipboard bill.  Until the turn of this century, envelopes were left in your cabin to pay it by cash.  To make it easier, after 2000, the tips were automatically placed on your shipboard extra bill.  The thing is, tipping is still a volunatery thing.  If you feel you were not catered to properly, you can contest it and it will be removed.  But that is rare.  Most service is perfect, and the hardworking crew members deserve the tips.  Unless you had a really bad experience, just allow for the add-on tipping.  Also, things not covered by your ticket include purchases in the shopping center, alcoholic drinks and soda (coffee, tea, fruit juices and milk are usually covered).  You'll pay extra for that.  You use your "room key" like a credit card, as shipboard added expenses are "cashless" and you need a credit card that you register, so be careful.  It's easy to "pay" for extra things when you're not paying upfront and you might be shocked when you get your onboard bill the day before you dock.

In Bermuda, unless you really want to, don't buy island tours.  You really don't need to.  You can do most of it by yourself, such as visiting the local fort and museum, for a much cheaper price.  There is a dolphin experience that you purchase onboard, but it's pricey (I'm talking like several hundred dollars), but if you want to get in the water and play with dolphins, it would be worth it.  How many times do you get to do something like that?  But touring the forts and museums, do that yourself. 

Bermuda can be pricey (for obvious reasons), including in restaurants, cafes, etc.  But do allow yourself to splurge.  Have yourself a lunch in a local eatery.  You only live once. But if you need to pinch pennies, go back onboard the ship and eat until you explode as all meals (unless there's an extra-tarrif grill room) are included to your stomach's content.

Take in the Island life.  Walk through the towns (especially Hamilton and St. George).  Visit the shops.  Pick up a few things.  Do check out the cafes.  Sit al fresco at one and sip some coffee or chocolate.  it's lovely.  When I was in Bermuda on my cruise, every morning I would cardiowalk way into the countryside, miles away.  I would talk to the residents.

And don't forget to attend any DS activities, whether on board or on shore. 

I'm so happy they're having a DS cruise festival.  I only wish I could attend.  Really, really think about it.  You'll love it.  And don't forget to pack some formal clothing for the few formal nights on the ship.  That would require suit-and-tie for men (tux's are preferred, but suit-and-tie are very much allowed) and evening gowns or classy cocktail dresses for women.  That's a must.  It may sound inconvenient, but it's fun.  Every once in awhile, it's fun to get all gussied up.

Oh, and don't forget to play the last night of bingo.  If no one, throughout the cruise, didn't get a "black-out," it's thrown open to everyone.  The one who wins gets thousands of dollars (it's based upon how many people purchased bingo cards throughout the cruise).  On my Bermuda cruise, the one before I went to the '03 Brooklyn DS Fest, the last night bingo blackout was worth - are you ready for this? - $25,000.  It isn't always like that (most are around $5,000), but some little old lady won.  I was two numbers away.  The theater was packed with virtually every passenger, standing room only.

Okay, my DS brothers and sisters, start saving for that cruise.  And if you win the blackout bingo, remember me or else I'll get Petofi's hand to mess with you.

Gerard

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 03:32:18 AM »
i'm sort of stunned that this has actually come into fruition...

i mean 8 days is a long time. and isn't this going to be cost-prohibitive for the average fest-goer???

still i'll have to get more information before i make a final decision about it. could be fun. [hall2_undecided]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 04:53:56 AM »
Yes, I'm very curious to see what the pricing for this will be. Though as I mentioned a few months ago, on certain travel agency Web sites I've seen cruises to Bermuda that are very reasonably priced. So, it's going to be interesting to see what sort of deal the Fest got for its cruise.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 05:56:14 AM »
Gerard, excellent post. I went on a cruise to Bermuda and it was heavenly. I would really like to book a cabin, as I love being on the water. And speaking of water, it's so dang blue and clear in Bermuda, you can see a penny in the sand fifty feet down.
There is quite a bit of tipping, but the staff earns it, believe me. And they are people that are working their butts off to support their families. I had such a pleasant experience on the cruise I was on. I was a vegetarian at the time. When you sat down to dinner, they handed you a menu, and you could order anything and everything you could possibly want. Our table mates often ordered practically everything on the menu, just to try it. It was all included in the deal. But there was plenty of veggie options, actually more than enough. They have banquets at midnight, themes like Italian night or Hawaiian night. They floated ice sculptures and fruit in the swimming pool and there was a discotheque.
You're also right about not doing the tourist thing. We rented a Hesper(?) motor bike and went all over the island. There's the usual tourist crap, but if you don't like that stuff, you can do anything you want to. I remember I thought I was so smart to buy rum down there for a friend. Turns out you can get it here cheaper.
I'd love to do this thing, but I'm in the poor house. Don't know if I can do it.
I gotta tell you, though. I think spending Halloweeny on a cruise ship would be wicked!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 11:14:52 AM »
I hope there will be a costume party on Halloween.

If I go, I'll have to get somebody to do Halloween for me here at home.  Can't disappoint the trick-or-treaters!  Incidentally, what I really noticed this year was the mothers prompting the younger ones to say, "Thank you."  When did Halloween become an etiquette lesson?

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 02:44:46 PM »
Oh, hell, yeah. There'll be a costume thing for sure.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 10:17:38 PM »
You're so right, Janet, about everything regarding a Bermuda cruise.

Ah, yes, that beautiful, pristine, clear water!  At one of the beaches, I sat down in the warm, luxuriating water.  I brought several rolls I took from one of the ship's many, many, many all-you-can-eat buffets and started breaking them up.  Within minutes, I was surrounded by some of the most colorful and astounding tropical fish one could ever see, waiting for their dinner.  They had no fear, coming right up to me, poking at and rubbing against me as they took turns being hand-fed.  One little dark-brownish guy kept poking-poking-poking at my toes as if to say:  "Hey!  What about me down here!"  He got his morsels.  At times I would hold one palm open with a bit of dinner-roll crumb in the other and fish would settle right into my palm and even enjoyed my caressing them. 

Folks, if you can go, by all means do it.  I wish I could, but like Janet I'm also in the poorhouse.  But if any of you can swing it, do it.  Stop wondering what you'd do for a week on a ship.  There's so much to choose from (along with attending all the DS-related activities) you'll wonder where the time went.  And while it will obviously cost more than a typical DS weekend, break it all down.  Factor in your transportation, room and all that food and drink included; it's non-stop 24/7 meals.  There is always one restaurant that never closes, or you can just call for room-service (no extra charge).  By comparison, this cruise will be cheaper day-by-day than a three-day-two-nights in a hotel.  Dollar-for-dollar, a cruise is the least expensive form of vacation.  You only live once - do it. 

I'll never forget my '03 Bermuda cruise, climaxed by attending the Brooklyn DS Fest.  As we sailed across the glass-like Atlantic, I stood on the Boat Deck overlooking the bow, the sun shining, the skies blue and suddenly pods of dolphins raced along side us, the wake of the ship giving them added speed, as they gloriously and triumphally jumped in long arcs from the water into the air.  You ain't gonna get that on some street outside a hotel.

Gerard

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 03:34:04 AM »
An 8 day cruise from late October and early November seems like could be a bit inconvenient to any regular fest goers who are either a teachers or a students. True Halloween time and DS seem to go hand and hand but people would much easier devote 8 days to a Vacation from late July to early August.
Dan

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 04:15:40 AM »
Bermuda is on the same latitude as NC so it will not be all that hot. The forecast for this week calls for rain and temperatures in the 70s.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
2013 DS Cruise: MORE INFO
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 04:13:53 PM »

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 05:06:05 PM »
Whoa - it would definitely seem like the people who thought a DS cruise might turn out to be cost-prohibitive for a lot of fans were right. It's going to be quite fascinating to see how many fans actually book it.