Author Topic: Process limit exceeded...  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Process limit exceeded...
« on: October 26, 2007, 10:27:38 PM »
Unfortunately this afternoon the forum was bumped offline by our host for about 45 minutes due to having exceeded its process limit. In the past I've explained about what that actually means, so I won't go into it all over again (a search can bring it up), but the main point I need to reiterate is that quite often we're our own worst enemies when it comes to making the problem last much longer than it needs to because, when the system stops responding, our first instinct tends to be to click a link or a button until it starts to respond again. That's what several members and guests were doing. And that may seem like the logical thing to do. But it's not really. In fact, it's probably the worst possible thing to do. The best thing to do whenever the "Process limit exceeded..." error comes up is to completely leave the forum and come back in a few minutes. Or if you're in the middle of posting something and the system doesn't seem to be responding, just leave it alone because in the vast majority of cases it will eventually go through. The only thing repeatedly clicking on links and buttons actually accomplishes is to cause more processes to be created, to cause more processes to back up, and to extend the period of the problem longer for yourself and everyone else.  :(  But if we basically have a bit of patience, the problem will usually work itself out in a matter of only a few minutes.  :)  And we will all probably be much happier.  ;)

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Process limit exceeded...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 04:14:33 AM »
I've had multiple occurrences within the past month or so, when attempting to visit the Forum, the page takes forever (well, more than 30 seconds) to load, I eventually am presented with a blank page with the following message:

Database Error: Lost connection to MySQL server during query
File: /home/content/m/y/s/mysteriousb/html/SMF/Sources/Security.php
Line: 336

This happens with all browsers (the message varies somewhat - the message noted is from Firefox), IE8, Firefox 3, Chrome, and Opera. Eventually the page does load properly, but only after several attempts.

Anyone else had this issue? [hall2_huh]
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 05:24:53 AM »
Interesting - I haven't seen that one. But, unfortunately, database errors are inevitable from time to time. Sometimes the MySQL database server will become overwhelmed because too many processes are trying to access it (and not just from the forum, but from all of our host's Web sites that have access to it), so it kicks some of them out. Also, that error can occur whenever the server is briefly shut down for maintenance and such.

The good news, though, so far as the original subject of this topic goes is that we've changed hosts since I posted the warning, and I haven't seen the "Process limit exceeded..." error once since we've done that (whereas it seemed like it used to pop up at least once or twice a month). That may be due to the fact that we now have our own dedicated IP address. I know it has definitely helped the forum run the quickest it has ever run with any host.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 01:19:38 AM »
MB, I always look to see if there's anything new on Testing 1-2-3. I don't believe I was on this weekend, but it's now 11/10 & it's the first time I see a 'new' message here.

Here's something that I've wanted to mention for YEARS.

On every ISP, computer, etc, there's ALWAYS a little yellow ! mark on the bottom of 'puter screen that either (it does vary from 'puter to 'puter) says Error on page or Done but with errors.

This has been in NJ and in GA. Again, multiple computers using a variety of hosts & servers.

??????

Patti

What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 01:56:37 AM »
That's strictly an IE thing, Patti.  [Blow_Up_IE]  Other browsers don't display that error.  :)