Author Topic: Problem w/posting!  (Read 1516 times)

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
Problem w/posting!
« on: August 07, 2007, 03:27:44 PM »
Moderators, something has been happening for WEEKS now when I try to post and I'm about to blow a gasket!  When I go to post I get the ultra annoying message that I've posted w/in the last two minutes, WHEN I HAVE NOT!  Then, after saying it can't post because I've posted w/in the last two minutes, when it DOES go to post, it says I've already posted that post!!  THEN when I go to find the post it's NOT THERE!!  I've been trying to post something for ten minutes now w/out success!  What the hell??  >:(  It's really frustrating.  Is this some new quirk w/the new look of the forums or what?
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Problem w/posting!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 04:05:45 PM »
The two minutes between posts warning has been in place since the forum's inception. However, it can sometimes pop up if someone submits a post but gets the error that SMF was unable to connect to the database:

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

before the post actually goes through. Even though the post didn't go through, the system thinks that it did because the way SMF has written things is that the post submission is applied to what's called a member's session before the unable to connect error comes up (apparently it has to be written in that order :- ). But if this is happening without you ever seeing the unable to connect error, I have no idea why you're getting the two minute warning. I've never seen it except under the circumstances I just described. And the two posts that I made soon after yours went through as normal. And unfortunately there's absolutely nothing we can do about database connection problems because that's a server issue...

I know it gets repetitive to blame everything on Internet Explorer - but, sadly, that browser is so screwed up that nothing that happens to anyone who uses it ever surprises me.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 05:05:36 PM »
And you might recall that logging in to the Forums counts as a submission.  So if you attempt to post within 2 minutes of accessing your account, you will get the error.  And then another full 2 minutes must pass (from the time you received the error) in order to resubmit the post.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 07:14:20 PM »
And you might recall that logging in to the Forums counts as a submission.  So if you attempt to post within 2 minutes of accessing your account, you will get the error.  And then another full 2 minutes must pass (from the time you received the error) in order to resubmit the post.

I actually didn't know that so that's good to know for the future.   ;)  But, that wasn't what happened either as I logged in, then had to go find the email from Shadowgram to copy & paste the schedule portion into a new post.  By the time I'd done all that it was well past 2 minutes.

I did however know that once you get that message you have to wait another 2 full minutes which I did, and then some.  I was waiting 4-5 minutes and still getting the message.  Finally I waited a full 10 minutes and finally it posted.

MB, I didn't get that SERVER CONNECTION PROBLEM message this morning, although I have in the past and know what you're talking about.   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"