Author Topic: New Poll: Most anticipated 2012 releases  (Read 3114 times)

David

Re: New Poll: Most anticipated 2012 releases
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 04:55:22 PM »
 [hall2_smiley]

It's really impressive that DS is scoring so much higher than Stallone or the next Pixar.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 04:40:32 PM »
And like jimbo, I wonder how long the voting is going to go on - especially considering that the order seems to be pretty much locked in...

Well, if DS' percentage keeps climbing like it seems to be, maybe we should hope that voting in the poll stays open for quite a while longer.  [hall2_wink]

The Dark Knight Rises    49.0%
Marvel's The Avengers    22.2%
Dark Shadows    8.3%
Prometheus    4.4%
The Amazing Spider-Man    4.3%
The Expendables 2    2.6%
Brave    2.2%
Men in Black 3    1.3%
Snow White and the Huntsman    1.2%
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter    1.1%

(Now it seems like it's Brave and The Amazing Spider-Man, the two movies that initially shot up from out of nowhere, that are losing percentage along with Snow White and the Huntsman. And it'll be interesting to see if the poll lasts long enough for The Dark Knight Rises to possibly hit 50%...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 09:17:50 PM »
Who knows which fandom will be next to start voting en masse?  [hall2_rolleyes]

Apparently that would be The Expendable 2 fandom, as within the past couple of hours they've sent that film shooting up the list - and have it threatening DS' #3 placement if it continues to surge:

The Dark Knight Rises    46.5%
Marvel's The Avengers    21.1%
Dark Shadows    8.0%
The Expendables 2    7.4%
Prometheus    4.1%
The Amazing Spider-Man    4.0%
Brave    2.1%
Men in Black 3    1.2%
Snow White and the Huntsman    1.1%
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter    1.0%

Not to mention sending The Dark Knight Rises percentage plummeting...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »
I just voted! So glad to see DS in 3rd place!  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! [hall2_grin]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

David

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 07:31:01 AM »
 [hall2_smiley]

Still in third place, DS is now up to 9.5%, I think the film is going to do fine.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
It's still at 9.5% now, which could be considered a good sign:

The Dark Knight Rises    45.1%
Marvel's The Avengers    20.8%
Dark Shadows    9.5%
The Expendables 2    7.4%
Prometheus    4.8%
The Amazing Spider-Man    3.8%
Brave    1.8%
Men in Black 3    1.3%
Snow White and the Huntsman    1.0%

And with the poll currently at 18546 total votes, that means DS currently has about 1780 votes. But as I cautioned at the outset of this topic, that doesn't necessarily mean that 1780 people have voted for DS - it could just as easily be 100 people who've each voted about 18 times - or even 10 people who've voted 178 times each. That's the problem with the way the poll is set up. But still, it's nice to see that there are people out there who are motivated to try to keep DS at #3.  [hall2_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 06:56:07 PM »
It seems like some group connected to The Expendables 2 has organized some sort of voting campaign for it because its percentage is quickly on the rise again. However, it also seems like some DS/Depp fans are fighting back because its percentage is also rising, though not as quickly:

The Dark Knight Rises    44.6%
Marvel's The Avengers    20.5%
Dark Shadows    9.8%
The Expendables 2    8.2%
Prometheus    4.7%
The Amazing Spider-Man    3.7%
Brave    1.8%
Men in Black 3    1.2%
Snow White and the Huntsman    1.0%

It'll be interesting to see if TE2 does eventually overtake DS...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 08:52:38 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if TE2 does eventually overtake DS...

Well, it most definitely has:

The Dark Knight Rises    41.6%
Marvel's The Avengers    19.2%
The Expendables 2    12.4%
Dark Shadows    10.1%
Prometheus    5.5%
The Amazing Spider-Man    3.4%
Brave    1.7%
Men in Black 3    1.2%
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter    0.9%
Snow White and the Huntsman    0.9%

And to say that it's extremely suspicious how that suddenly happened in the space of only a few hours would be an understatement. But that's the sort of thing that can happen with a poll like this - especially if someone uses voting software to hijack a poll rather than relying on human votes. [hall2_shocked]  [hall2_angry]

Now it will be interesting to see if DS can retake #3. But somehow I doubt it given how whoever is behind TE2's rapid rise is playing...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 01:27:55 AM »
That is so suspicious.  I can't see many people having such a passion for another Expendable movie but I could be wrong.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 01:59:10 AM »
Having just sen the latest percentages:

The Dark Knight Rises    36.7%
Marvel's The Avengers    19.4%
The Expendables 2    17.3%
Dark Shadows    11.9%
Prometheus    4.8%
The Amazing Spider-Man    3.0%
Brave    1.4%
Men in Black 3    1.0%
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter    0.8%
The Bourne Legacy    0.8%

I'm more convinced that ever that someone has hijacked the poll using voting software because the total has jumped more than 6000 votes in less than 9 hours - and with the exception of DS (which has climbed some due to what is no doubt a valiant effort of some DS/Depp fans) every other films' percentage has fallen - and TE2 percentage has skyrocketed from 8.2% to 17.3, which would have taken the vast majority of those new 6000 votes. So, unless we're talking some huge group of TE2 fans sitting at their computers constantly voting for hours, there's no way that was humanly possible.

I'm not exactly sure how the voting software works or even where it can be found, but when I used to visit SoapCentral.com on a regular basis back when As The World Turns was still on. there were constant complaints that trolls would hijack polls using such voting software - and quite often to make the least likely result end up on top by a wide and inhuman margin. Things got so bad that Soapcentral.com finally had to abandon the polling system they were using, which, like ComingSoon.net, allowed for multiple votes from the same person, and instituted a polling system like we have here on the forum where only registered members who log in can vote and they're completely limited to only one vote per poll. And if such hijacking of polls is routinely allowed on ComingSoon.net, well, it makes the results of their polls highly questionable, which is sad...

At the rate TE2 is going, it doesn't look like it'll be long before it even overtakes Marvel's The Avengers - and possobly even The Dark Knight Rises.  [hall2_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 03:04:11 AM »
Well they've shot past Marvel's The Avengers because of another nearly 3000 votes made in just the last hour - though MTA seems to be trying to fight back:

The Dark Knight Rises    33.6%
The Expendables 2    21.2%
Marvel's The Avengers    20.9%
Dark Shadows    10.8%
Prometheus    4.4%
The Amazing Spider-Man    2.7%
Brave    1.3%
Men in Black 3    1.0%
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter    0.7%
The Bourne Legacy    0.7%

But really, can shooting past The Dark Knight Rises be far behind?  [hall2_rolleyes]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2011, 04:16:18 AM »
I apologize if I'm stepping on somebody's toes, but don't all these online "polls" turn inevitably into a dead heat with rival gangs of fans madly banging away to try and prove that their stuff is The Top?

I just doubt whether there is much significance to any of this outside a highly rarefied circle of ... individuals.

YMMV, of course and always.

cheers, G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 04:32:59 AM »
Possibly. I honestly don't take part or even pay attention to most online polls, so I can't really say. Though there is a big difference between humans battling each other to get whatever their fandom wants to see get the most votes (there's fairness in that) and one individual using voting software to do it because voting software can cast votes far faster and with far more frequency than any human possibly can (and there's no fairness in that - not even if other fandoms resort to doing the same thing as a means of trying to level the playing field).

Actually, I wondering if whoever was using the voting software overstepped themselves because ComingSoon.net seems to have crashed - and it's quite possible that the voting software crashed it because that's definitely one of the potential disadvantages to it if it's used for too long a period of time...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2011, 03:35:37 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, MB.  I know nothing about voting software or why anyone would create such a gizmo... kind of funny if you're right that the robot wound up wrecking the site!  That's some kind of poetic revenge.

As the "Wicked" Witch of the West was once heard to bemoan:  "What a world, what a world!"

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 03:51:24 PM »
I see that TE2 is well on its way to becoming #1 (and probably will become #1 before the day is out if what went on yesterday is any indication - as it is another 6000 votes were added overnight!), and considering how far down it was for the vast majority of this poll's run, that definitely seems inherently wrong:

The Dark Knight Rises    31.2%
The Expendables 2    29.6%
Marvel's The Avengers    18.8%
Dark Shadows    8.9%
Prometheus    3.7%
The Amazing Spider-Man    2.3%
Brave    1.1%
Men in Black 3    0.9%
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter    0.6%
The Bourne Legacy    0.6%

On the plus side, however, even though DS is now #4, its current percentage is still pretty much in line with what it had been throughout a good portion of the poll's run (whereas the other films' percentages have fallen dramatically) - and it probably will climb again as well. Though given what's happened with TE2, the credibility of the poll is pretty much shot to hell now...