Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0002  (Read 4943 times)

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0002
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2011, 06:23:28 PM »
I like the low camera angles.  It really makes the foyer seem grand. I wonder how they shot that considering the bulky cameras of that time.  It's so low that it seems as if it were shot from a well. 
Carolyn really seems to give no thought to anyone but herself and in particular no thought to Joe. The Blue Whale seems such a contrast to Collinwood which is probably why Carolyn seems so happy there.  It must have been lonley for her to live in that big house with just her mother.
The different exterior shots of the house are fun to see.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2011, 08:17:16 AM »
It made me think of the rocks and the water in black and white. Did they have to reshoot it. I will have to check it out in the future.

I like the way that vicki, went in and went out again.  It was like she felt like she was intruding. She went out the back door to go to the cliff. It must have been a walk to go around the house. Carolyn was spoiled, it must have been fun for Nancy to be that way. The dancing really took me back.

One question, has anyone ever done a floor plan of Collinwood?
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2011, 09:03:22 AM »
lori54, I think there have been floor plans done, but I don't think it is possible to do a definitive one, because the locations of the study and the Tower don't stay the same.  And, of course, even stranger problems arise further on in the show.

As for Vicky going out the back door, I was assuming that she did so because that was the shortest route to the cliff, but I like the idea that maybe she felt she was supposed to use the servants’ entrance.  I'm not sure it's correct, but I like it anyway.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2011, 06:46:11 PM »
It made me think of the rocks and the water in black and white. Did they have to reshoot it. I will have to check it out in the future.

No, since most of the original location footage, including the waves off of Newport, were filmed in color.  (Don't read further if you want to discover the difference for yourself...)  The title sequences at the start of the series and after the show went to color do contain some of the same shots.  What changes is the DS title, which in the color eps mimics the movement of the waves.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 05:43:55 AM »
I knew about the wavey letters. I hadn't paid attention for awhile. Thanks.

DC was thinking ahead. Little did he know. :)
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 07:18:45 PM »
Elizabeth is playing Chopin's Prelude in C Minor.

When I saw this for the first time just a couple weeks ago, I was quite taken by surprise.  It was just such a darkly gothic scene.  Delicious!  Wow, DS really was something, right from the very start!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 07:24:16 PM »
I like the low camera angles.  It really makes the foyer seem grand. I wonder how they shot that considering the bulky cameras of that time.  It's so low that it seems as if it were shot from a well.

How surprising to see that what would become DC's own trademark shooting style was used by Lela Swift in the beginning of DS.  I wonder if that was a look that she had come up with?  I have the feeling that Dan's directing style was heavily influenced by the directors of DS (since he didn't begin directing until HoDS--although I remember reading something about him directing a few episodes of DS in preparation for the movie; is that true?).