Author Topic: Dark Shadows remembered  (Read 2586 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows remembered
« on: April 01, 2010, 09:24:39 PM »

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows remembered
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:43:15 PM »
"Lackluster" and "unintentionally funny." Grrr!  [angry7]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 09:55:16 PM »
Well the bloopers were unitentionally funny and I don't know what he was referring to as lackluster-maybe the ratings early on or the slow start in the storyline-still it's always good to hear how someone remembers DS right or wrong.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 10:09:52 PM »
True. But the bloopers were such a small part of the show - especially when one considers how many eps were thrilling TV that went off without a blooper in sight.  And no matter how well intentioned remarks like that may be, they continue to paint DS in an unflattering light - one that even has people like Tim Burton joking about flies to an English public who knows little about DS and may now think that's how the show frequently was when flies were seen in maybe 3 out of 1225 eps.  ::)

And the lackluster comment would seem to be in regard to the storytelling because he goes on to say how the show was so "poorly done." There are definitely many fans who would disagree that the pre-Barn eps were poorly done. In fact, for a good portion of fandom those eps are some of their favorites. One needn't look any farther than this forum for evidence of that...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 11:01:46 PM »
I strongly disagree with that writer. DS was neither "lackluster" nor "cheaply done". The use of some actual location scenes (including out of state!) shot on film (vs. videotape) in the beginning of the run was something unique and, I would expect, certainly not inexpensive! As I understand it, at the end of its run DS was still quite expensive to produce because of all the storylines set in past times. I don't think it was any more "poorly done" than any other typical soap opera of the day. DS was very ambitious in comparison to other daytime shows, requiring a wider variety of sets and props, not to mention special effects (both practical and optical). In addition, the pace of the storytelling was much faster than other soaps. Bearing those things in mind, the bloopers weren't anything more than should be expected from an all-but-live broadcast, and were most certainly not as prevalent as so many people try to make it seem!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:48:35 PM »
I never stated my opinion of the show. The writer was clearly attempting to show his passion for his beloved DS. Actually I hesitated posting this article because it was just another one of those blog type articles people post on the internet. I am glad it prompted several responses. The writer clearly has passion for DS as do our cousins here. That is what this Forums board is all about; to share our passions and love for the show. We all can't be right and we all can't be wrong. I understand that everyone is speaking about the writer and not about me but I seem to have been a victim of the collateral damage so I certainly will hesitate to post other blogs here.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 12:38:27 AM »
I don't think it was any more "poorly done" than any other typical soap opera of the day.

Its production design was actually head and shoulders above most. I've mentioned before how some of General Hospital's sets looked like they were put together with balsa wood - and I'm not exagerrating when I say that the sets for some scenes consisted of one wall, a chair, a table, and a lamp.

DS was very ambitious in comparison to other daytime shows

To say the least - and even in the beginning. But sadly people tend to forget, or aren't even aware of what the other soaps were like...

And jimbo, please don't hesitate to post links to blogs such as this. I've also posted such links in the past - and probably will continue to do so whenever I come across others.

As you say, the forum is a place to share our opinions. If members disagree with what a particular article may say, they're most probably going to voice their opinions, but I suspect that rarely if ever are those posts in any way a reflection on the person who posted the link. In fact, even if people tear an article to bits, they usually still thank the person who posted the link. I'm sorry that I didn't do so. I suppose I was simply taken aback by what I read. I have no doubt that some of these people are trying to share their love of DS. I'm sure Tim Burton was when he talked about the flies. But maybe some of these people truly don't realize how some of the things they write/say can actually come across to non-fans. When they don't qualify that things like the bloopers and such are really such a small part of DS, well, sadly, they present an inaccurate portrait of the show to the people who aren't that familiar with it...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 12:52:26 AM »
Thanks MB. Actually I should have been more descriptive as to why I thought it was a nice article. I was truly referring to the writer's reference how DS saved him from his troubled youth angle. On the other hand I should have also paid more attention to his hurtful/inaccurate remarks described in excellent detail here by you and the other cousins. I noticed when I went back to the article the site disabled the comments feature which I think is kind of unfair as we cannot voice our objections there. But there is no disabling comments feature here! No doubt I will continue to post these blogs as everyone should have a voice and a chance to challenge the author.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 07:34:39 AM »
I think it's clear that he refers to it as lackluster in the beginning, and then he refers to the change as the supernatural and especially Barnabas were added.  I don't think he emphasized the bloopers, but mentioned that they became part of the show, which is true.  As he refers to the effect it had on him, I would definitely have to count him as a fan, and that the article could be considered a tribute to the show. 
Josette

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 08:48:33 AM »
I agree with Josette that the writer was clearly referring to the show being lackluster in the beginning episodes.  And regardless of what some fans may think, to the general public these episodes must have seemed lackluster since the show was in danger of cancellation back then.  I think that would be the context in which he refers to the show as being lackluster. 

Also, I really think that it's only realistic to admit that there were a lot of unintentionally funny moments on the show, even other than the bloopers.  Adam chasing Barnabas and Julia around the lab comes to mind immediately [easter_wink].  This doesn't mean that there weren't other thrilling and brilliant episodes also, but there really were a lot of unintentionally funny scenes on the show.  I don't think this should make anyone love the show any less, I think it just adds to the charm.

JMHO. [easter_smiley]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 04:34:04 PM »
I was waiting for the bus this a.m. thinking April 2... the day we lost DS ... sigh.

I can still remember that day, and my disbelief as Thayer David's closing narration was heard. I did think it was *very* cool that Thayer was chosen to end the show.  I found out a few years back that they wanted Jonathan Frid to read that closing narration, but he refused.

I also remember, as I've wearied you all recalling many times, tuning in the following Monday just in case it was still there and finding the indignity of Password in its place--and up until then, I had actually enjoyed Password!  Ugh.

G.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 05:14:19 PM »
a nice article to read today,April 2nd, the 39th anniversary of the last episode broadcast on abc.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 10:21:40 PM »
Regardless of what the blog writer says I am glad that people share such articles blogs etc.  As MB mentioned the posters doesn't always agree with what the blogger or writers has to say.  It's good to see DS being remembered. I just wish he wouldn't have used some of those words that were kind of a slap in the face to a show that truly (as campy as and dated as it is) is still better than many soaps on now or since the show left the air!  Thanks for sharing!

Side Note:  I can only sympathize with my fellow cousins.  When I found out DS 1991 was not coming back I was literally depressed for months!  Obsessed much?? [ghost_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 11:27:35 PM »
There are definitely many fans who would disagree that the pre-Barn eps were poorly done. In fact, for a good portion of fandom those eps are some of their favorites.

Of which I am one.  I believe that the earliest episodes were some of the most beautifully executed in the show's history.  The combination of the fantastic sets (A daytime soap with these kinds of original sets in the '60s?!) , the exceptional special effects (Josette's Ghost always looked real, whereas later on, you could tell the ghosts were green-screened in), the GREAT location shots (The exterior images of the mansion were actually film and not stills like they were after the color transition.  And where else do we see Collinsport cars and people walking on the grounds of Seaview?), and the original story/plot (Truly something out of Gothic literature) was never again replicated in the show's history.  It is evident that a lot of time was put into making these episodes nearly perfect.  Later on, the focus of the show changed and a lot of the subtleties of the original episodes were lost.  Granted later episodes required emphasis be put on make-up and more special-effects, meaning that time for such earlier details was limited and attention had to spread out to more (different) things.  In fact, because of the substantial changes that came about over the show's history, it is hard to compare the early episodes with those after the arrival of Barnabas.  The only time that the show truly comes close to recapturing the feel of the early days is during the Haunting of Collinwood plot in 1969 and parts of the 1897 flashback.  Now if only those episodes were done in black and white...

I love most parts of the series.  Most of them are so great, but the later stories differ in tone and the production of said stories was executed differently.  This makes them no less good, in my opinion, but simply makes them incomparable to the early episodes of the show.   

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 05:00:50 AM »
I love the early episodes and am currently watching them again!  The Phoenix storyline is my second favorite of the entire series! Out of all the supernatural episodes I think that it was the most beautifully executed in writing and delivery!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/