Author Topic: ShadowGram Update #260: NYC DS Event Details  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: ShadowGram Update #260: NYC DS Event Details
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »
Received the Festival mailing today. Sounds like a very, very scaled down event.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 01:08:01 AM »
Philippe I am so excited you are coming! You will love Lyndhurst and Tarrytown! We will have to get Amanda and get our little group photo again!
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »
Received the Festival mailing today. Sounds like a very, very scaled down event.

that was my thought when i received my mailing too. nonevent would be more like it.

unless one was very eager to meet ms.scott and ms.parker or see lyndhurst it's almost not worth it. personally i've had enough of scott hawking her wares lately.

frankly with the unfortunate passing of jonathan frid i'm surprised it hasn't been cancelled.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »
Why?  After all, the show (and life) must go on, and I feel Jonathan would agree.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 07:30:25 PM »
he was the main draw.

and for various reasons the rest of the "gang" will not be in attendance.

with just 2 guests it feels like a flatliner.

it seems like the main action will be on the west coast this year.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 12:51:35 AM »
Unfortunately, the two events together do not equal a true Festival.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 03:21:29 PM »
True enough, but for the more or less local fans it will likely be a de facto memorial for Mr. Frid. I'd like to go just to hear some fan remembrances; I think the time slot allotted for Mr. Frid would be better served now by hearing some words of closure from folks like Nancy and Will McKinley and Joe Nass.
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 03:30:12 PM »
Why the negative attitude?  Are you sure you guys are fans?  If anything, I feel more stars will be added to the July event to help fill up the huge gap left by Jonathan's passing.  On the East Coast alone there's Marie Wallace, Donna Wandrey, Nancy Barrett, Sharon Smyth, Betsy Durkin, and Donna McKechnie.  Plus, there's even more stars out in California who have gone East before- who knows, maybe one or two will fly over just to pay tribute to Jonathan. 

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 04:00:32 PM »

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 06:29:19 PM »
Well, for people who now feel it is not worth going with the sad passing of Mr. Frid, I am sure there is still time to cancel hotel reservations for the event.  I have never really been a fan of either HODS or NODS so the ideal of an event mostly touring Lyndhurst with minimal programming was not that big a draw for me, but each to his own.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 06:49:45 PM »
Why the negative attitude?  Are you sure you guys are fans?  If anything, I feel more stars will be added to the July event to help fill up the huge gap left by Jonathan's passing.  On the East Coast alone there's Marie Wallace, Donna Wandrey, Nancy Barrett, Sharon Smyth, Betsy Durkin, and Donna McKechnie.  Plus, there's even more stars out in California who have gone East before- who knows, maybe one or two will fly over just to pay tribute to Jonathan.

charles...

we're all just expressing opinions at this board. no one is "right". no one is "wrong". they're just opinions.

the event sounds like a dud to me so i'm not going. if you want to go, go. it doesn't matter to me.

what i will not participate in however is a third grade p*ssing contest about whether or not i'm a "fan". that nonsense is more suitable to the IMBD board.

don't ever pull that with me again. ever.

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 01:56:27 AM »
I just don't like the idea of pessimism in DS fandom.  I have been active in fandom for 28 years now, and I remember the struggles DS fans had in those days just to have local stations (and later PBS stations) air the episodes.  I also remember how warring factions nearly threatened to destroy DS fandoms as some of the early conventions (the Shadowcons) began to add non-DS events and stars while diminishing the importance of "Dark Shadows".  This led to the creation of the DS Festivals which above all is a celebration of ALL things DS, and it pains me to see anyone put down what took years to build.  There are many of us who do care- we are the ones who always attend plays or films featuring the DS actors, buy the various books that have been put out by various actors (novels, memoirs, and other non-fiction items).  If you don't want to go the July events, OK-but don't insult those of us who will be there and especially the DS actors who come out their own free will to meet the fans.  All I am asking is to show proper respect, especially as the whole DS community is mourning over Jonathan.

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 12:33:17 AM »
I received my receipt today in the mail! Now it feels official and I am very excited. It sounds like an intimate and low key event but at the same time a nice schedule of activities to keep your interest. If I read it correctly it sounds like the area near the stables will be tented.  There was a nice flyer inside regarding Jonathan's passing. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone and catching up on things!
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 04:58:14 AM »
I've attended three festivals, and Mr. Frid was only at the last of the three. It never occurred to me that people wouldn't want to go to a festival because Mr. Frid wouldn't be there - and he has been as close to my favorite cast member as I could ever choose as a favorite.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »
Certainly no disrespect to Frid intended because his contributions to DS were outstanding, but most of the most successful Fests were during the years when Frid was no longer attending and before his return. So, his passing needn't necessarily have much of an impact on the future of Fests. Though it probably should also be pointed out that those were also the years when DS was running on the Sci-Fi Channel, so the original show was getting the type of exposure that it isn't currently getting. But with the new film's release, who knows what type of an impact it may have on the Fests in the future...