Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1218  (Read 901 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1218
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:00:04 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #1218
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:22:29 AM »
It's funny how all Bramwell's mistakes, blind spots, blow-ups, the revenge marriage, all the things that are so wrong about Bramwell, end up being what's so right about him.   There might be a message here, and I only get a glimmer of what it might be.  Maybe it's that being right isn't everything, that passion matters more.   Bramwell is "supposed" to take emotional leaps and fail (gloriously?), even doing damage, sometimes seeming to lose all sense, and be a loose cannon.   It takes all kinds to make a world, and I don't mean that sarcastically.   Bramwell's mistakes are better (or at least more valuable) than Catherine's sense.  I say this hesitantly, since I know what his recent actions will lead to.

Good look on Kathy Cody's face.  You know instantly she's in a trance.   Carrie's vision may be the first mention of the year 1841, but that's in the future.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:41:11 AM »
It's funny how all Bramwell's mistakes, blind spots, blow-ups, the revenge marriage, all the things that are so wrong about Bramwell, end up being what's so right about him.
I don't think I can agree with that, Magnus.  At this point, I don't think I can think in terms of what's right or wrong about Bramwell.  He just is.

Catherine, on the other hand, is just plain wrong.  Lara Parker may well have been thrilled to be playing a heroine, but I don't think of Catherine that way at all.  Somehow it never occurred to Catherine that Bramwell would ever not be at her complete disposal whether she wanted him or not.  At the moment I think Bramwell's too good for Catherine, but no doubt that will change - and change back again.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:50:21 AM »
What an episode--total nuclear war with mutual assured destruction! Let's see:

Catherine vs. Bramwell
Daphne vs. Catherine
Josette vs. Catherine

I loved how Josette supported Daphne, even though she knows Bramwell is marrying her (D.) for spite. At least we know that PT Josette and Barnabas had a good marriage, even if it was a brief one.

With his back finally at the wall, Bramwell decides to opt for at least partial honesty with Daphne:

"I am older than you, hand I cannot offer you youthful passion." [Sadly, he almost certainly doesn’t want to offer her any other kind either. I suspect this marriage will never be consummated if he can help it.]

"There are many different kinds of love." [Translation: I don't love you but after all, that isn't why I'm marrying you.]

"With what I feel for you now, my love can grow, and we will have a life that others will envy." [Are you listening, Catherine? This one's for you!]

No wonder poor Daphne is desperate enough to consult Carrie, even though it's apparently 2:00 a.m. and Carrie's father is still at work! But all Daphne finds out is that if she marries Bramwell, it could be the death of her.

A wonderfully written episode filled with fully developed characters!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 01:15:52 PM »
Great post, DarkLady!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 02:13:35 PM »